• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Not a surprising end result. Not their fault we got into the mess, but lots of respect lost for RA not playing with a straight bat from the beginning about their preferred outcome.

Hope as many players and coaches as possible get chances elsewhere, and another opportunity for Victorian Rugby emerges.
Their preferred outcome is (still) surely a sustainable Rebels team.

The process has played out, DOCA becomes effective and now they have seen the consortium's proposal. RA's assessment is they still don't have that

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The timing does suck. Can't deny that but I wonder if there are also some player/staff movement about to come out and RA ripping off a band aid is better than a obvious slow collapse. Any player agent worth a pinch would have been working on deals for months since rumours began.
I'm guessing with the DOCA officially filed it was time for RA to make a call around giving the license back. Not much room for continued radio silence at that point.

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
Where will Lancaster, Tupou, Talakai, Gibbon, Uelese, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Gordon, Wilkin, Leota, Daungunu etc. go

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Despite this announcement, I get the sense there is a lonnnnng way to go
No doubt. The DOCA includes a process whereby the Rebels' Directors are funded to undertake procedings to achieve an emergency injunction

(including as to funding) on which the Company will commence proceedings seeking declaratory relief that the Participation Right remains in full force and effect.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where will Lancaster, Tupou, Talakai, Gibbon, Uelese, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Gordon, Wilkin, Leota, Daungunu etc. go
Overseas, although RA has cleared out the Tahs to fit them in. If the Rebs somehow survive it will be another long year for the Tahs next year