• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Feel for the Rebels guys, as a force supporter I know how you're feeling, all i can say is stay strong and harness the anger.

I wrote the below back in 2017 following the Force being cut, I fear there might not be the same future for the rebels without someone like Twiggy who if not for him the Force would no longer exist.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Who are you guys supporting now?

Teamwise probably no one. Possibly a slight support towards Force or Brumbies simply because it's not Sydney or Brisbane.

Primary love will be towards players who've bought in and VIC juniors. Locals in particular, but I think also Big Sammy who's a huge factor in our internal culture, Ekuasi who chose to stay rather than go back to NZ or to Japan, and the Gordons/Vaihus.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
hey I've spent good coin on a Rebels v BIL, what the fuck
Qantas got into massive trouble for selling tickets that didn't exist, RA should face the same. They have never said anything to lead you to expect that the Rebels would exist in 2025 so they have sold tickets to a game they knew wouldn't happen.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
They'd argue otherwise on that point, hence why they're going to court.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I think RA is probably stretching a little on some of the points made in the press release, but if the consortium is genuinely asking for top up funding over and above the distribution the other sides receive I don't see how that could be considered a viable bid by anyone.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Qantas got into massive trouble for selling tickets that didn't exist, RA should face the same. They have never said anything to lead you to expect that the Rebels would exist in 2025 so they have sold tickets to a game they knew wouldn't happen.

This is a silly comparison.

At the time the tickets were sold, all the noise coming from RA was they hoped there would be a Rebels team next year.

It was then up to the consortium to prove they could stand up on their own.

They failed to do so.

RA can then refund the tickets as they've acted in good faith.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I think RA is probably stretching a little on some of the points made in the press release, but if the consortium is genuinely asking for top up funding over and above the distribution the other sides receive I don't see how that could be considered a viable bid by anyone.
The argument in the DOCA was that there is a legal basis to have the license to be reinstated as the "company lost its license in unconscionable circumstances" - this is what their legal action will be based on.

That's in addition to suing RA for $8m for funding shortfall and PAYG liability

There is also unvalued other claims against RA due to "breaches of the joint venture agreement"

At this stage, and successful action would just reduce the director's ATO DPNs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is a shame, but expected, RA has no money, the Rebels are broke and apparently not commercially viable

Equalizer

Trevor Allan (34)
Unfortunately Rugby Australia thought the KPI's for rugby administration was tonsee how many clubs they could put into administration. They have no idea how to run the game.

As a Force.fan who has butted heads with The Rebels over the year and particularly back in the dark days of 2017, the news today will be a bitter pill for Rebels fans. I have no doubt however that a team on Melbourne will re-emerge at some stage in the near future. If rugby wants to be seen as a top tier sport the competition needs national representation and exposure and that will inevitably include Melbourne.

Now kick out all the administration at RA and get some big thinkers and astute business people in to revamp rugby in Australia.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

With respect, I hope you're wrong too.

I haven't seen the proposal, so I can't comment on whether additional funding is requested. I've never seen in any press release from the consortium where they ask for additional funds above the standard allocations.

There is no doubt that Dan and Phill will offer their best verbal gymnastics to justify this backward decision. Equally, I'm sure the consortium is preparing themselves to refute these points in their own press conference and through formal legal proceedings.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The argument in the DOCA was that there is a legal basis to have the license to be reinstated as the "company lost its license in unconscionable circumstances" - this is what their legal action will be based on.

That's in addition to suing RA for $8m for funding shortfall and PAYG liability

There is also unvalued other claims against RA due to "breaches of the joint venture agreement"

At this stage, and successful action would just reduce the director's ATO DPNs
Imagine the discovery on these points alone. They will force RA to open the books and see if their underfunding claims are valid.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I haven't seen the proposal, so I can't comment on whether additional funding is requested. I've never seen in any press release from the consortium where they ask for additional funds above the standard allocations.
I wouldn't expect that sort of statement, among the other elements mentioned in the release, is something RA would pull out of their arse - no doubt it's all in the 100-page proposal (which hasn't been made publicly available).

If this plays out in court, we may get to see whether it's RA or the consortium trying to pull the wool.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
very sad for rebels and the fans there, don't think this will make rugby any stronger in australia, ive read that the victorian government had informed RA of consequences if the rebels get cut, anyone know the details of what RA is also giving up or at risk of losing?