• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
At the end of the day, surely it's the players playing at that point of time that you are lending your support to.

This is an incredibly sad day for Rebels fans, Victorian rugby and rugby in Australia overall. I get that it may be very hard for some people to come back from this in terms of their support for the game but ultimately, it's the players who you support and I don't think they've done anything to stop deserving that support.
But that I feel is the very crux of his point as of the end of this season there are no Rebels players to support. You don't change your support for a club when a player moves to another team so why would you expect someone to support the players. They support the jumper the player is wearing and if that jumper no longer exists then the player wearing it no longer has a hold on the supporter.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Frankly if RA signed up with any other consortium with as scant details as what this consortium provided, you’d think they were bigger idiots than you do now. Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer not to lose the Rebels but considering that the Rebels board’s been hiding financial info from RA for years, you can’t blame RA for being sceptical.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I get your anger but likewise feel like you're punishing the players and yourself in the long run.

I don't cheer for the Wallabies because of any affinity for the CEO or current board. I certainly don't cheer for the Waratahs on the basis of being satisfied with their administration.

At the end of the day, surely it's the players playing at that point of time that you are lending your support to.

This is an incredibly sad day for Rebels fans, Victorian rugby and rugby in Australia overall. I get that it may be very hard for some people to come back from this in terms of their support for the game but ultimately, it's the players who you support and I don't think they've done anything to stop deserving that support.

All fair points, but as someone who has been through this it's also a feeling that you're being asked to support a team that no longer represents you. It took until the Force were reinstated for me to properly get back on board with the Wallabies.

I wanted Australia to win of course, but there was no way I was going to spend any of my own money to support them whilst WA wasn't part of the elite set up. I wouldn't blame Victorian fans for walking away while this is still raw for them.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I don't cheer for the Wallabies
giphy.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But that I feel is the very crux of his point as of the end of this season there are no Rebels players to support. You don't change your support for a club when a player moves to another team so why would you expect someone to support the players. They support the jumper the player is wearing and if that jumper no longer exists then the player wearing it no longer has a hold on the supporter.

Sure, but my support for the Wallabies doesn't waiver based on who makes the team. I'm not going to be less enthusiastic this season because the starting team might realistically have 0 Waratahs in it.

I absolutely don't expect Rebels fans to continue following Super Rugby.

If you've ever supported the Wallabies I don't see why that should change though. Certainly I don't think supporting their opponent out of spite for the current events is healthy nor is it valid.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
so what needs to happen for rebels to play pro rugby in this country again?

say the 4x remaining teams get x amount of dollars from a tv deal - do you think there would be any appetite down the track from the rugby franchises dividing a pot by 4 suddenly having to divide the pot back to 5? less money but better for the game nationally.

A reborn rebels could get their ducks in a row but I don’t think there’s going to be any interest without some rich benefactor underwriting the new franchise.

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
Nobody, why on earth would you go for someone else. The Wallabies can go and get fucked as far as I am concerned. I’ll support anyone but Australia
Feel the same mate .. Love Rugby, but I’m done with the Australian product … I’ll keep watching overseas club if it’s on, local footy and internationals but screw the wallabies and super rugby.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I get your anger but likewise feel like you're punishing the players and yourself in the long run.

I don't cheer for the Wallabies because of any affinity for the CEO or current board. I certainly don't cheer for the Waratahs on the basis of being satisfied with their administration.

The Wallabies no longer represent my state of Victoria. I have no interest in them

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm really hoping for RA's sake that they know VIC government is bluffing. Because if they're not, I'm confused why RA would can the Rebels.
Losing $5mil maybe better than losing more underwriting them for another year

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Except that, by definition, they do - as they do every other state and territory without a Super team.
That might be the case, but Wallabies would be my number 2 because they have Rebels players, Without them I won't give them time of day. I support Ireland because I had family play for them a long time ago. I have no reason to support the Wallabies.

5StarStu

Bob McCowan (2)

The Rebels will have featured over 200 players by the time the curtains fall - I have an affinity for all of those players regardless of where they've gone since or where they'll play going forward.

In a few weeks none will be Rebels players, and there will be no Rebels players to replace them, so I have nothing to support.

The Rebels were my connection to this code for 14 years, and that won't be replaced with one national team game a year and associated lip service from Moore Park.

I'm not going to actively barrack against the Wallabies, I'll just do something else. If that punishes the code then so be it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
so what needs to happen for rebels to play pro rugby in this country again?

say the 4x remaining teams get x amount of dollars from a tv deal - do you think there would be any appetite down the track from the rugby franchises dividing a pot by 4 suddenly having to divide the pot back to 5? less money but better for the game nationally.

A reborn rebels could get their ducks in a row but I don’t think there’s going to be any interest without some rich benefactor underwriting the new franchise.

I think the Rebels are probably goneski forever. I don't think there's quite enough goodwill or opportunity for continuity attached to the brand to make a return workable outside a maybe a one-off farewell against the BILs made up of former types that will still be in and around Super next season: but far more likely to be the Drua, or Pacific Barbarians type of side that takes it's place.

Short term, I think RA, RV and Vic Government probably need to pull heads together and try to get a representative side and a colts into either the Queensland or ACT competitions for the life of the existing Super agreement, or the pathways completely collapse.

As long as the pathways are in place, and there can be "something" of good vibes around Victorian Rugby, I think there's almost certainly an opportunity for a different Melbourne based side to come into whatever is after Super Rugby.