• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
im not about to discredit the level of intensity that the English clubs play at, but the reality of the situation is, in terms of 'ball player' development for a 5/8, you cant go past player a year or two in the Super Rugby tournament. Similarly a year of two in the English club scene will harden up most forwards, a year or two in super rugby will allow backs to experiment and take there skills to another level.

As long as Cipriani doesnt go feral whilst he is down here, i think he will be much better off for the experience, in 18months English clubs will be falling over themselves to sign him.

I'd have to agree with your first sentence. In proof of it you only have to look at the number of 10's playing top flight Rugby in the NH and showing some level of dominance where they couldn't even get a Super contract or a start. Eg. Parks and Malone.

I don't know about your second assertion as I think the role the Pigs play is different, essentially because of the different conditions. The loose forwards especially do not play as tight as they do in the NH. The problem with our Scrum work is one of lack of coaching focus more than any issue with personel (apart from selection). IMHO Super Rugby has allowed the 3N sides to maintain the almost total dominance of the NH since the advent of professionalism. The obvious exception being the great English team of 2001-2003 which was based around some very special players. Take our Back, Johnson, Wilkinson, Dallaglio and Hill and that team would have looked much more ordinary. Only the Australian forwards have struggled against the NH teams and that is because of a number of coaching issues including selection and tactics stretching back to 2003-2004.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
No report on the 2nd game - slack guys, slacl.

Rebels turn up the heat in Morwell
Paul Roberton - January 21st 2011

The Rebels turned up the heat on an already balmy evening in Morwell, running out 54-0 winners against Tonga.

The forwards lost none of their assertive nature in the last 6 days, reinforcing expectation they’d form an intimidating, effective pack. The more polished outside backs made it a fair more rounded affair than last Saturday.

In front of a crowd of 3,853 at La Trobe City Sports Stadium, things started to click.

Cipriani handled the ball and his centres with composure and deft touch. His precision in close and some incredible cut out passes created opportunity after opportunity and the outside backs reaped the dividends.

Defence was the big improvement. The Tongans scrambled hard in the second half and were particularly unlucky to have a try disallowed for a double movement, but take nothing from the Rebels defensively, they ground out big efforts on their defensive line.

The small crowd could sense the opportunity for the Rebels to keep a clean sheet, and roared their approval every time they snuffed out the Tongan attack.

The big tackling forwards netted their share of tries tonight, with 5 pointers to #8 Tim Davidson, prop Laurie Weeks and league convert cum flanker Jarrod Saffy.

Cooper Vuna continues to prove the bolter with 2 tries from Centre. Victorian amateur Chris Slade scored his first try in Rebels colours with Afusipa Taumoepeau and Nick Phipps chiming as well.

Cipriani struck a perfect 5 from 5 from the tee before he was rested at half-time. James Hilgendorf took over for the remainder of the night, returning 2 from 3.

The first try of the night went to Laurie Weekes in the 3rd minute. The Rebels drove towards the line early, through heavy the heavy Tongan resistance. The prop managed to ground the ball amongst all the bodies cluttering the goal line.

Sam Cordingley was extremely effective starting at scrum-half, getting a lot of ball early and marshalling the Rebels big men between the breakdowns. He just seemed to follow the ball all over the ground, creating a headache for Macqueen who hasn’t yet settled on half back yet.

Jarrod Saffy’s first came out of a messy ruck, with the league convert scoring his first try in rugby union since he left the code in 2005. Midway through the 2nd quarter, ( about the 33rd minute by normal standards) Tim Davidson, who captained the side from #8, accepted a terrific inside ball, found space and touched down next to the left upright.

Shortly afterwards, Afusipa Taumoepeau collected a tumbling ball while running in support, and accelerated through the 22 for the Rebels fourth. By the time the first 40 minutes were over, Laurie Weeks had carried the ball inside before unloading to a flying Cooper Vuna for his fourth try in 6 days.

The Tongans saw much more of the ball in the second half, and looked to wear the Rebels out, but the men in blue absorbed the pressure. Ball handling errors by the Rebels gave the Tongans second and third chances. When it seemed the Sea Eagles would make them pay, a double movement cost them dearly.

The Rebels managed to settle down again around the hour mark when Nick Phipps reminded the coaches of his early favouritism for the scrum-half spot, swooping for the right goal-line flag and scoring in the corner.

The Rebels 2nd half squad capitalised on the tiring Tongans, who struggled through the final term. Victorian amateur Chris Slade, who was again selected in the outside backs, swooped on a Hilgendorf outside pass to score his first try for the Rebels.

Cooper Vuna closed out proceedings late in the game with a double. Hoani Macdonald set off on a run which Adam Freier described(via twitter) as a “Harlem globe trotter type run to setup Vuna under the sticks.

The Tongans accommodation of Macqueen’s 15 fresh men for the 2nd half of each game was a generous gesture but will no doubt benefit both teams: given that the pacific nations historically lack the endurance to last 80 minutes and allowed Macqueen to continue an examination of his potential combinations.

The Tongans again missed their European contingent, who would have given the Rebels a very different experience. They were certainly better off for the opportunity to test their depth of their local talent.

Rod Macqueen offered little in his post match comments through the Rebels media unit, reiterating his point from last week about the standard needed to succeed in Super Rugby:

“We were looking to try a few different things, and a lot of those came off tonight. Overall, we’re happy with the performance, considering it was the second trial... but it’s important to keep things in perspective and understand we’re about to enter into one of the hardest competitions in world rugby and if we play like we are now, we wouldn’t be successful.”

To the Herald Sun’s Russell Gould; Macqueen elaborated;

“We're realistic (about the opposition) but it's not about winning and losing, it's about trialling things under pressure, and we certainly had pressure.We started to see a lot of the team structure, too, a lot of phases of play coming off. It will be a step up next week against Fiji, and then again against the Crusaders, but all in all I'd have to be happy with where we are, but keeping things in perspective”

In another pleasant surprise for the unsuspecting fans, the Rebels blooded yet another Victorian amateur, forward Sam Nonu Jnr from the Southern District Pirates.

The Rebels hit the road again next week, for a Saturday evening game against Fiji at St Patricks in Ballarat, in Central Victoria.

Melbourne 54;

Tries: Cooper Vuna (2), Jarrod Saffy, Laurie Weeks, Tim Davidson, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Nick Phipps and Chris Slade

Cons: Cipriani 5/5, Hilgendor 2/3

Def Tonga 0.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rebels flying to win a place

* RUSSELL GOULD
* January 23, 2011 12:00AM

A 54-0 result for the second-up Melbourne Rebels should be cause for some celebration among the Super Rugby new boys, but only just.

Last night's trial against Tonga in Morwell was less a proving ground for Rebels coach Rod Macqueen's players than a stomping ground.

But Macqueen got what he came for. He'd seen almost all of his players in match mode again, left satisfied that he'd moved closer to finalising his best line-up and could be confident that his game plan was coming together.

"We were looking to try a few different things and a lot of them came off, so overall, we were happy with the performance," Macqueen said.

"We're realistic (about the opposition) but it's not about winning and losing, it's about trialling things under pressure, and we certainly had pressure.

"We started to see a lot of the team structure, too, a lot of phases of play coming off. It will be a step up next week against Fiji, and then again against the Crusaders, but all in all I'd have to be happy with where we are, but keeping things in perspective.

"We are about to enter into one of the toughest competitions in world rugby. If we were playing like we are now, we wouldn't be successful, so we certainly have to improve."

More than 2800 spectators watched the Rebels score five unanswered tries in the first half as the Tongans struggled for possession and territory.

The Rebels were too quick for the tourists and Macqueen also was happy with the work of his backline players.

His forward pack also created the opening two tries and several of his big men proved fleet of foot, No.8 Tom Chamberlain making a 25m burst to score.

Former Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock should make his Rebels debut next week with Michael Lipman and Luke Rooney.

T

Travi34

Should be a good game against Fiji. Hopefully they are a bit tougher than Tonga, and more of a challenge offensively/defensively in preparation for Crusaders, then Tahs.

Hard to see combinations forming when only 20 min 1/4s are being played, even harder to see who is who with alphabetical numbers! Delve is #9... biggest 9 i've ever seen!

The good thing is, they are learning how to win together. they kept the Tongans scoreless* with some good solid defence. 5-10 phases of tight play in a row, several times, 10metres out, but did well.

Cooper Vuna is amazing. He will score tries. Already nicknamed Sooper Cooper, with his own theme song...

Best thing though, is Macqueen's commitment to the 5 star pledge. I've never been to a professional sporting game where the players come up after, introduce themselves, shake hands, and have a chat. Combine, that with what they can acheive onfield, and we have the birth of a dynasty

Trav

*there was a try to Tonga, called double-movement, could've gone either way though

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Prediction:

Cooper Vuna to be leading Australian try-scorer for Super15. He'll be selected for the Tri-Nations squad but won't play again. He'll make his Australian debut against Russia and score a record-equaling 5 tries.

T

Travi34

@Godfrey - not only a bold prediction, a very detailed one.

He'll do some terrific things, and a steal on any fantasy teams. scored 5 tries in 2 trial matches (admittedly understrength Tonga) but only played 1/2 of each match...

Has that drew mitchell ability to find the line, and a slippery character.

Pac Islander teams are equiv of div 2 teams without their euro-stars. Cant wait for Pacific BaaBaas in a month or 2!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Prediction:

Cooper Vuna to be leading Australian try-scorer for Super15. He'll be selected for the Tri-Nations squad but won't play again. He'll make his Australian debut against Russia and score a record-equaling 5 tries.

Bold. If Ant Fainga'a has a pretty ordinary season I wouldn't be too surprised if this happens.

Of course we are remembering that Robbie will always favour a 2nd 5/8 over an out-and-out Inside Center.

T

Travi34

Sidetrack... but werent the reds going to train with a super awesome utility player who could easily fill the 12 shoes for the Wallabies....

Sookface has been written off? I know Gits has. (Michael Clarke is to cricket as Matt Giteau is to rugby...)

Mortlock played a bit for the Wallabies at 12, would be a good experienced hand in a young backline...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You are talking about Michael Harris I think. He's not a super awesome utility player, but a steady kicking style five eighth. Have a gander at the Reds thread for some realistic opinions on him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Am getting excited about Vuna (in a rugby way). Talk is cheap at this time of the year but we are all interested in new Oz players even if they don't play in ones own team.

Usually we see these lads from schoolboys and are not greatly excited about them when they appear in Super squads. We have known their quality and how it has developed since leaving school only waiting to see how each has coped with learning their profession playing against grown men.

But now and then a fellow appears like a bolt from the blue who is obviously Wallaby material down the track.

Young Kane Douglas, who never went through the Oz Schools process, is a case in point and I hope that Cooper Vuna is another. One looked at him closely playing league when one knew he was coming over and he looked good on the wing but if he can convert his league prowess to union as a 12 he will be a handy acquisition for Oz rugby - for the Rebels at least.

But as I said: talk is cheap at this time of the year.

P

Paul Roberton

I dont understand why they call it the rebelution rather than the rebellion?

Bowside, I think they're trying to emphasis that they'll bring a change, in my mind ( insofar as semantics go) a Rebellion is more about an overthrow of oppression. Other than that, I got nothing :p

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Bowside, I think they're trying to emphasis that they'll bring a change, in my mind ( insofar as semantics go) a Rebellion is more about an overthrow of oppression. Other than that, I got nothing :p

I understand what you are saying, but you could also argue that it is a rebellion against the AFL or the storm or even the ARU and lack of rugby in victoria.......and it sounds better.

P

Paul Roberton

I understand what you are saying, but you could also argue that it is a rebellion against the AFL or the storm or even the ARU and lack of rugby in victoria.......and it sounds better.

To be honest I hadn't thought of it until i saw your post. I tend to agree that Rebellion sounds better than Rebelution. I think there's a grey area trying to coin new words or be clever. It either works, or it doesn't.

P

Paul Roberton

LOL I was going to refrain from making references to JO'N but yeah, that fits! The only other thing I could raise is that Harold Mitchell and Rod Macqueen have hosed down any suggestion of competing with the AFL or the Storm. Remember, the Rebels approached the Storm about sharing the services of Johns as a HB coach/consulting and they agreed. Its all warm and fuzzies at the moment. That said, yes, Rebellion sound better ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.