• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rebels make it three from three in Ballarat

By Rebels Media Unit

The RaboDirect Rebels made it three from three in a high-scoring third trial match against Fiji. The 42-27 victory was as hard-fought as the scoreline suggests and ensures the Rebels head into their first clash with Super Rugby opposition next week after a thorough workout.

Five first-half tries from Lachie Mitchell, James Hilgendorf, Stirling Mortlock, Danny Cipriani and Cooper Vuna as well as one in the second term from Heath Tessman accounted for the bulk of the Rebels’ points. Cipriani added five conversions and Hilgendorf one as the Rebels kicked all points on offer.

The match represented another significant achievement for the Rebels, and rugby in Victoria, as 3,445 gave St Patrick’s College a festival atmosphere.

Head Coach Rod Macqueen felt his side had learnt a lot from this hit-out, against a powerful Fiji. “This was the nucleus of a good side here,” Macqueen explained, “and they’ve been training together for quite a while. For instance their set-pieces, the scrums and lineouts were of good quality and that’s what we needed.”

Despite the distance between the sides at the final whistle, it was the Fijians who started brightest. The Pacific Islanders forced a couple of turnovers from early attacking mauls to put the Rebels on immediate notice they would be facing a stiffer challenge than in the previous two trials. The early pressure was rewarded with only three points though as the Rebels fought their way back into the contest.

An opportunistic Lachie Mitchell try started the scoreboard ticking over. The Rebels’ centre caught Fiji off-guard, breaking from a penalty to score in the right corner.

A second Fijian penalty meant there was only a point separating the sides midway through the first half but after Waisea Nailago was yellow-carded for impeding a ruck on quarter time the Rebels made their superior handling skills and extra man count.

First, James Hilgendorf went over in the right corner before Stirling Mortlock marked his Rebels debut by touching down under the posts. The hard work had been done the ever-reliable lineout delivering quick ball to the halfbacks with some quick hands in the midfield creating the opportunity for Mortlock to show his customary power and drive home.

After the game, Mortlock revealed how much he had been looking forward to getting back on the paddock. “I was considerably more nervous than what I would have been for a normal trial, but it was good nervous. It was nice to get back on the horse,” he said.

Setefano Samoca hit back for the Fijians but a brilliant solo try from Danny Cipriani, starting at fullback, and Cooper Vuna’s third-successive try-scoring performance, running in a brilliant sweeping counter attack after great work from the backline down the right ensured the Rebels entered half-time with a healthy 35-13 lead.

After a scrappy opening to the second term, Heath Tessman got the Rebels bandwagon rolling again. After more excellent work from the lineout, Tessman burrowed over from close range.

A second Fijian, Nemia Kenatale Ranuku, took a spell, this time for a dangerous tackle but the expected opening of the floodgates did not eventuate. It was, in fact, Fiji who scored the next two tries, Seveci Tukamaiwai Sauradu finishing off a sustained period of forward pressure and Apisalome Ratuniyarawa touching down in the left corner to give the final score a fairer reflection of the balance of play throughout the game.

Yellow cards to Chris Slade and Adriu Delai disrupted the flow of the match towards the end as both sides began to tire in the hot conditions.

RaboDirect Rebels

First Half:
13 Nic Henderson, 25 Ged Robinson, 28 Greg Somerville, 3 Adam Byrnes, 22 Kevin O’Neil, 27 Jarrod Saffy, 5 Tom Chamberlain, 9 Gareth Delve, 23 Nick Phipps, 14 James Hilgendorf, 20 Lachlan Mitchell, 31 Cooper Vuna, 21 Stirling Mortlock, 29 Afusipa Taumoepeau, 6 Danny Cipriani

Reserves:
15 Alex Rokobaro, 34 Chris Slade, 11 Sam Latunipulu, 33 Luke Holmes

Second Half:
2 Rodney Blake, 30 Heath Tessman, 32 Laurie Weeks, 4 Al Campbell, 24 Hugh Pyle, 16 Luke Jones, 18 Michael Lipman, 8 Tim Davidson, 17 Richard Kingi, 6 Danny Cipriani, 10 JP Du Plessis, 14 James Hilgendorf, 20 Lachlan Mitchell, 1 Peter Betham, 26 Luke Rooney

Reserves:
15 Alex Rokobaro, 34 Chris Slade, 11 Sam Latunipulu, 33 Luke Holmes

Fiji

1 Ratu Aca Reynold Gavidi Ratuva, 2 Apisalome Waqatabu, 3 Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, 4 Joeli Kotobalavu, 5 Nemia Kenatale Ranuku, 6 Viliame Veikoso, 7 Waisea Nailago, 8 Setefano Samoca, 9 Kelebi Rokoua Ketedromo, 10 Jimilai Naikadawa, 11 Waisale Nabeka Natuqaqa Misikarou Vatuvoka, 12 Paula Mataniqina Naleweniikataga, 13 Rupeni Nasiga, 14, Seveci Tukamaiwai Sauradu, 15 Adriu Delai, 16 Ratu Penijamini N Makutu, 17 Iosefo Bele Tabalala, 18 Isoa Donaldson Tora, 19 Ravai Sausau Fatiaki, 20 Isoa Colacola, 21 Josaia Ravulovulo Vakacegu, 22 Malakai Volau, 23 Manoa Satala, 24 Anare Takabakaba Koliavu, 25 Navitalai Naitevui Lilo Bolatagici, 26 Seveci Tukamaiwai Sauradu, 27 Ratu Taniela Rawaqa Maravunawasawasa, 28 Tevita Cavubati

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Question, would you go with Mitchell on the wing? On trail form it would be plain unfair to leave him out but he just isn't an out and out winger (and the out and out wingers are doing a stellar job, so far).

I just can't see him starting over Vuna who is hailed as the next big thing or Stirlo who really is the province's big name player.

Also, does anyone know Frier's situation? Will he make the start of the regular season?

A

Army_Gav

Question, would you go with Mitchell on the wing? On trail form it would be plain unfair to leave him out but he just isn't an out and out winger (and the out and out wingers are doing a stellar job, so far).

I just can't see him starting over Vuna who is hailed as the next big thing or Stirlo who really is the province's big name player.

Also, does anyone know Frier's situation? Will he make the start of the regular season?
Vuna will be fantastic anywhere. I agree with Mitchell, however the cross field kick from Cipriani was absolutely beautiful, Mitchell read it well. Almost as good as Cipriani kicking and marking his own ball (competing with two Fijian players) and almost scoring a try (only to knock it on).

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I didn't see enough of the first two trials to comment, but Mitchell for me was the pick of the wingers they used on Saturday. Interestingly Ross Oakley was on SEN yesterday afternoon saying that the team used in the first half against Fiji is pretty close to their first XV bar a few tweeks.

He also mentioned there will be a Victorian club sevens tournament on before the Crusaders game.

And Gav, you forgot to mention that Cipriani picked up a fast moving ball of his bootlaces before executing that chip and chase. It was an outstanding peice of work. I am excited about what he will bring based on his 60mins in that game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
please tell me they will be using proper numbers.

What's the thinking behind it? Isn't it best to help educate the masses that the guy who puts the ball in the scrum is number 9. The two big fat guys are 1 and 3 etc etc? It's not AFL where numbers are meaningless.

W

WB3

I have the feeling their numbers are arranged in alphabetical order at the moment, maybe that will go after they settle on a proper 22.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

What's the thinking behind it? Isn't it best to help educate the masses that the guy who puts the ball in the scrum is number 9. The two big fat guys are 1 and 3 etc etc? It's not AFL where numbers are meaningless.
"The Masses" won't be attending the preseason games, at least based on what I've seen so far.

The preseason games have been watched mostly by diehards.

N

Newter

High expectations. It's a coaching trick. If the reserves in the second half of the trial think they really are the "reserves" and not equal contenders for a starting jersey they will tend to play like reserves. Scrambling the numbers makes that perception go away.

A

Army_Gav

It's because in the previous trials against Tonga, they had full squads, not a match day 22. The logical solution was to number based on alphabetical order. Guess they figured it would be easier to carry that over into the Fiji match also.

This week will be different, 40 minute halves, proper numbers (thank god, it's confused the hell out of me).

A 4 minute clip from Saturday night: http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/Video.aspx

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
there must be quite a number of diehards in victorian rugby then, quite a good thing.

Victoria probably has 8000-10000 "die hard" fans. You need more then this to support a Super team but this is where the whole concept of a "sporting public" comes in.

Sadly, a "sporting public" won't stick out the tough times unless they fall in love with the game, which some will.

Hopefully the Rebs perform sooner rather then later so the masses stick around.

It's because in the previous trials against Tonga, they had full squads, not a match day 22. The logical solution was to number based on alphabetical order. Guess they figured it would be easier to carry that over into the Fiji match also.

This week will be different, 40 minute halves, proper numbers (thank god, it's confused the hell out of me).

A 4 minute clip from Saturday night: http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/Video.aspx

Awesome! I look forward to not getting whiplash from checking my match program for who's who all match.

Beat me to the punch with the clip, shame it doesn't have an embedding url.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mortlock the man to lead the Rebels
Stathi Paxinos

February 2, 2011

STIRLING Mortlock, the man who will today be officially appointed the inaugural captain of the Melbourne Rebels, has a number of nicknames, some of them clean, others possibly not for young ears.

But the former Australian skipper has widespread respect within the rugby community and was the best person for the job, former Wallaby front-rower Fletcher Dyson said yesterday.

His view was backed by other former Wallabies Pat Howard and David Wilson, while Rebels teammate Adam Freier said Mortlock and Welsh import Gareth Delve, who will be announced as vice-captain today, had been the standout leaders among a team that had more than a dozen players with captaincy experience.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Dyson yesterday said Mortlock, who once had the nickname ''Flippy'' because of his tendency for wild antics at the spur of the moment, such as ''barking like a dog while walking down the Champs Elysees in Paris'', was a lead-from-the-front character who could inspire those around him on the field. To Dyson, the former Australian captain was the obvious choice.

''He's a unique character but one that can mould a team and he leads by example which, in my book, is a very important role for a captain,'' Dyson said.

''He's a very focused individual when game time's on. There's no mucking around. He's out there to win and to lead the team and if that's the way the Rebels are going then that's a great choice.''

Freier, who would have been a captaincy candidate himself, said Mortlock and Delve stood out as the leaders in the team.

''I think it's sensational, I think it's a good pick,'' Freier said. ''… I think both the leaders they have chosen to represent the Rebels are among the highest regarded in the team. The respect of the state will come but initially you have to have the respect of the playing group and there's no doubt there's just a mountain of respect for both those people as players and people.''

''I always think of a good leader being when they speak [you look at] the body language amongst the group and when each of these characters speak, that being Gareth or Sterlo, there's usually not too many people looking at the floor or doodling on pads or looking out the windows. Their attentions are always spot on and that's one of the reasons why they are the inaugural leaders of the Rebels.''

Howard said Mortlock's experience would prove invaluable on and off the field.

''I think with a team you're trying to gel together with a reasonable amount of experience it's very good to have an experienced captain in there more so off the field than on and that's where he can give a real discipline to what the guys are doing.

''When you are starting to put a new group together you need to put a clear leader in and I'm sure [that was] one of the things that was in the back of Rod Macqueen's mind when he got him down there. ''

However, Howard said Mortlock's history of injuries- he is returning from a serious back injury - would have delayed his appointment until Macqueen was assured of his fitness.

Delve should be prepared to captain the side for the most part...

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
For all Rebels fans coming to the Crusaders match on Saturday night make sure you get to the ground early to see the cream of Vic club Rugby playing in the inaugural Rebels sponsored club sevens comp. Great initiative from the Rebels to support the local clubs.

Stu Wilsons Gloves

Stan Wickham (3)
Just picked up my tickets for the game tomorrow, getting a little excited.

Looking to get their around 5, watch some club 7s with a few wets being drunk. The weather has cooled down which is good, will be really interested to see what the crowd is like? Anything over 15k would be very good IMO.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Rebels 14-7 over Saders at half time and playing with good structure. Some good hits and continuity in 2nd qtr. Vunas a handful and Stirlo looking fit, albeit a bit off the pace. Good work in the rolling mauls and halves. Line-out and Huxley kicking too much are the only negatives.

Very impressed so far.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
Rebels are up at halftime 14-7. The crusaders scored a try down the left wing through Gilford before the rebels started to get going. Vuna made an excellent break with some nice footwork before offloading to mortlock. From the following ruck Vuna snuck under a number of crusaders to score.

The other try was a grubber through from Hilgendorf after a 30m run from jed Robinson.

Best for the rebels so far are mortlock, delve and Vuna. Phibbs is having a shocker and Zippa's also made a few errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.