• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Re: Melbourne Rebels recruitment: update what you hear

Nice design, bit of a throwback to the early Auckland jerseys

G

Geronimo

It will make some of the recruits from across the ditch feel at home!!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Collar - check :yay
Hoops - check :yay
Body-contour lines - check ::)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah nearly a proper jersey

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

It looks like one of the mock-ups they had on their facebook page last week. Very happy that this one has the silver piping instead of the gold or red they were floating last week. Hope the actual one comes in as somthing similar.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Its a mock-up and a fan made one at that.

I wouldn't be reading too much into it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Also why don't we rename this thread "VICTORIAN Rebels 2011". As you might guess the Victorian part is to make a point that it's ridiculous to call a team Melbourne in an otherwise provincial competition.

The franchise is a done deal and all the other teams have their 2011 discussion threads named as such. Also, maybe we could put in a rebels symbol on the thread logo options. Obviously there is currently no official one but the Rebel Army support group have a nice one set up.

shield_small.png

G

Geronimo

Re: Victorian Rebels 2011

He just wants to be called "en-vict-er"

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Geronimo said:
He just wants to be called "en-vict-er"

Don't hate me because my username has some serious punch.

On a different note does anyone know if the Rebels are official the Melbourne Rebels or what? Press releases seem to constantly refer to them as such but I don't know if it's official and I've never seen the issue addressed.

I've always been a little peeved off with just how Melbourne centered Vic Rugby seems to be. I mean the Greater Geelong population is around 200,000 and the city has 1 club that can barely field 2 teams. Perhaps I better take my concerns over to grass routes.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

RugbyFuture said:
i heard they registered "melbourne rebels"

Sigh. I've been wanting to write a little rant about the VRU and Vic Rugby in general (yes, the Rebels are not run by the VRU) and thinks like this make me want to even more.

I'm just worried that I'll put a whole bunch of effort in and nobody will read it.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

They might read it, but they already have a brand that has some market recognition in Melbourne Rebels, so they are unlikely to change anything. It is going to be hard enough for them in the first few years to build the interest, without trying to take an unknown brand into a very crowded sports market place. I would think that if they were to ever change it, it would be a few years in once they have established themselves.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

well, i always considered the move to call it melbourne, as part of the ARU's plan (splitting the super rugby comp into pools) so eventually, like is often suggested, you get a domestic comp in australia, with the eventual devolution of the reds and tahs into a few different teams each (however without the traditional names) and the creation of the southern hemisphere heinekin cup, to now be called by yours truly as the Carlton cup.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

stoff said:
They might read it, but they already have a brand that has some market recognition in Melbourne Rebels, so they are unlikely to change anything. It is going to be hard enough for them in the first few years to build the interest, without trying to take an unknown brand into a very crowded sports market place. I would think that if they were to ever change it, it would be a few years in once they have established themselves.

I understand what you are saying but I just don't think changing it from Melbourne Rebels to Victorian Rebels would really effect the brand recognition. It may even generate some press in itself.

No harm in using some inclusive language.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

just thinking, is there anything that the rebels could do about reconverting the fourth Fainga'a brother, vili? hes openly come out previously saying that he found league more challenging, but i reckon with some proper direction and a decent contract, he might come back over, and by the threads he might be decent enough, especially if his brothers are anything o go by...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

RugbyFuture said:
just thinking, is there anything that the rebels could do about reconverting the fourth Fainga'a brother, vili? hes openly come out previously saying that he found league more challenging, but i reckon with some proper direction and a decent contract, he might come back over, and by the threads he might be decent enough, especially if his brothers are anything o go by...

Pretty sure he left the Storm to get away from Melbourne and move back with the family in Queensland. Playing for Ipswich Jets Rugby League team along side A.J Gilbert (former Reds) now.

http://www.ipswichjets.com.au/index.php?Itemid=54&id=33&option=com_content&sectionid=7&task=category

Status
Not open for further replies.