• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Re: Melbourne Rebels recruitment: update what you hear

Although Tessman is signed I'm assuming that he's an Academy player so the total S15 contracted is 19 to make 31 with the need more to be on contract totals added in. If he's to be given a rookie contract then it's 20 S15 contracts including 1 rookie.

I think I remember now that Super teams will have to trim down to 30 for next year. If that is the case then scrub one from the required total (and 2 if Tessman is not in their Academy).

I think Lipman will sign any day. The ARU has lifted their constraints and they need a couple of fetchers. He is out playing Beau Robinson for the Rats as he should with 10 England test caps..

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, 24 May 2010

Rebels combine International experience and League youth

English 10-Test veteran and current captain of New South Wales rugby club, Warringah, Michael Lipman, has signed with the Melbourne Rebels. Born in London but raised in Australia, where he discovered his passion for the game at St Joseph’s College before entering the NSW Waratahs Academy, Lipman was co-captain of Bath during Rebels Assistant Coach, Mark Bakewell’s tenure at the English club.

"We’ve been in discussions with Michael for some time now and are delighted he’s made the decision to come to Melbourne, having received the endorsement of the ARU. Since his return to Australia, Michael’s attitude and achievements at Warringah, Rod Macqueen’s club, have been outstanding. There’s no doubt he will add metal to our forward pack and make a significant contribution to the establishment of our club culture." Bakewell said.

Lipman is keen to get back into top-flight rugby and the chance to play Super rugby is one he is more than ready for."Since I have been back in Australia I've had wonderful support and enjoyed the special team spirit at Warringah. I can't think of a better place to continue my rugby career than Melbourne with Rod Macqueen and his coaching staff." he said

Rod Macqueen and the coaching staff at the Melbourne Rebels are very happy with the way the new team is shaping up with the addition of two young league players with rugby roots. Recently signed 25-year-old Jarrod Saffy from Illawarra St George has been joined by 22-year-old Newcastle Knights winger, Cooper Vuna as the second Rebel convert from NRL.

In commenting on Saffy’s decision to return to his original code, Bakewell said, "Jarrod has a strong rugby union background at national level with the Schoolboys, Under 21s and Sevens and when you combine those skills with the discipline and physicality he has learnt from the NRL, we have a rugby union backrower with a real point of difference."

Cooper Vuna was in awe as he had his first look at the recently opened AAMI Park yesterday.

"This is an incredible stadium and to play here in Melbourne presents such a great opportunity for me." Vuna said. "But my decision to become a Rebel next year is based as much on the off-field opportunities as the on-field. Rod Macqueen impressed me with his ideas about balance in life and what happens after rugby. I also want to make my dad proud."
the father of 3-year-old, Lincoln said.

"My time in Newcastle has been fantastic and everyone there has been a great support to me and my wife, Necia. While I’m really looking forward to next year and the big move, my focus will be with the Knights and my team mates until the end of the season."

Assistant Coach, Damien Hill highlighted Vuna’s enthusiasm and athleticism in describing the young recruit.

"Coops is a strong, fast athlete who seems to relish the physicality of the game and he’s young enough to make a real impact in rugby in the seasons to come. Cooper’s having a strong season for the Knights, currently their second highest try scorer, which is his focus at the moment, but I know he’s jumping out of his skin to start with the Melbourne Rebels in October."

The Melbourne Rebels now anticipates Mark Gasnier, the high profile player who made the switch from NRL to rugby, is likely to return to his League roots.

Lipman and Vuna confirmed.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Lee; it's always hard to tell if <edit!> players have signed for the professional academy or pro squad from those news reports.

You'd think that Lipman would be the starting openside. I'd have to say that the Rebels are definitely looking stronger than the Force did in their first year. Better starting 15, and more depth. If the Rebels can land Falou from here it would round out their backs very nicely. I'd be more worried about prop depth from there.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...-quits-the-cronulla-sharks-20100524-w4zk.html
There has been much speculation about Stuart's future at the Sharks, with the former Australian and NSW coach facing no shortage of rumours surrounding his tenure at Toyota Stadium.

It is yet to be confirmed what his next move will be but it has been suggested he may have an offer to join the Melbourne Rebels rugby franchise as a coaching coordinator alongside head coach Rod MacQueen.

Stuart, however, denies any connection with the Super 15 franchise.

I wonder if this will happen?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I source seemingly close to the Rebels just suggested Nick Henderson would be signing soon too. I thought he had a 2 year deal at the Force but it must be a 1 with an option.

T

TOCC

Gerrard is set to sign with the Rebels, and potentially a 135kg Rodzilla is set for a return through the rebels

Dam, the Rebels are surely looking like having a solid team come 2011

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)

TOCC said:
Gerrard is set to sign with the Rebels, and potentially a 135kg Rodzilla is set for a return through the rebels

Dam, the Rebels are surely looking like having a solid team come 2011
According to sources in France Rodney Blake has signed for Bourgoin.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Thanks Jauzy - always appreciate your tip offs!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Mark Gerrard and Michael Lipman sign on for Melbourne Rebels

* Wayne Smith, Rugby union editor
* May 25, 2010 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels yesterday added Wallabies fullback Mark Gerrard and England flanker Michael Lipman to their Super 15 playing roster and are poised to grab a third Test star, prop Rodney Blake.

Gerrard's management confirmed to The Australian that the former Brumbies and Waratahs utility, who played 23 Tests between 2005 and the 2007 World Cup, would sign with the Rebels for his 10th season of Super rugby. The 28-year-old arguably was the form fullback in Super 14 last year, but opted to join Japanese club NTT Communications when it became evident he did not figure in Wallabies coach Robbie Deans's plans.

Since then, Australia has sprouted a new crop of exciting young fullbacks, while another new Rebels signing, Julian Huxley, has further complicated the selection race by making an astounding comeback from a brain tumour.

But none of that is deterring Gerrard who is hoping to ride the wave of enthusiasm building behind the Rebels all the way into the 2011 World Cup squad. Given that his 2007 cup campaign lasted only seconds before he suffered a devastating knee injury, he surely will not be lacking in motivation.

Nor will Bayonne-based Blake, who for a short time in 2006 became a cult figure in Australian rugby as "Rodzilla", the amazingly mobile 125kg tighthead. But injuries played havoc with his build-up to the last World Cup and after failing to make the squad he left for France in 2008.

Blake reportedly has risen to 135kg, but if he can take a leaf out of the book of former Queensland teammate Leroy Houston, who is half the man, but twice the player, this year after shedding a lot of weight in the off-season, he could yet prove a valuable addition to the Rebels.

Australian-raised England flanker Lipman certainly promises to be all of that after vowing yesterday to repay the Rebels tenfold for their perseverance in breaking down Australian Rugby Union resistance to him joining the club.

Lipman earlier this year completed a nine-month suspension for refusing to take a hair follicle test in the aftermath of the end-of-season drug scandal that rocked Bath in 2009.

But when the Rebels in March attempted to sign the 10-Test veteran, they found their path blocked by the ARU, which refused to grant him a clearance. No explanation was given, other than that Lipman did not meet the criteria for admission.

The Rebels' then chief executive Brian Waldron announced that the matter was closed, but it is understood new Melbourne boss, Pat Wilson, quietly has worked with his successor as ARU high performance manager, David Nucifora, to negotiate Lipman's clearance.

The St Joseph's-educated player was ecstatic that his rugby career, which looked like petering out in the Sydney club competition, has been given a new lease of life.

"A lot of patience was shown by the Rebels coaches and management," Lipman said. "They could easily have walked away from me. But they fought the fight in my corner and I am very thankful for that. I'll be paying them back tenfold. That's all I can do.

"I also have to thank my family and close friends for sticking by me over the past year."

The ARU's decision to allow him to take up one of the Rebels' 10 foreign player spots means Lipman finally can put the Bath scandal behind him. "I used to brood about it every day for the past 12 months, but that book is now closed for me and an exciting new chapter is just beginning," he said.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Huxley is bench.

15 Gerrard
14 Vanu
13 Mitchell
12 Mortlock
11 Betham
10 Cipriani
9 Kingi

20 Cordingly
21 Hilgendorf
22 Huxley

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

plus what are the chances of any of them playing a full season? they'll slot in when the time comes.

C

CanadianRugby

Noddy said:
Huxley is bench.

15 Gerrard
14 Vanu
13 Mitchell
12 Mortlock
11 Betham
10 Cipriani
9 Kingi

20 Cordingly
21 Hilgendorf
22 Huxley
I'm wondering about this. Everything I heard says that Cipriani signed with the understanding that he could play fullback. Gerrard probably signed with some belief that he could play every game, why else would he come back? So where the hell is everyone going to play? I don't think the Rebels want to start a culture of lying to players to get them sign, which would just discourage players from signing later. Same goes for prop. Rodzilla has been confirmed: http://bit.ly/aNWTvD so what about Weeks, Somerville and Rodzilla. How about will one of them be if they sit for the first 6 weeks? Interesting to see what happens.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

no coach would promise starting positions to players so I don't think that would be a concern. Plus injuries ALWAYS happen.

C

CanadianRugby

Fair point Noddy, but what about telling someone they can be a 15 then starting him at 10? That would cause some problems wouldn't it?

T

tranquility

fitting players in is just no a concern. you can't build good culture without depth.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

At the time the story about Cipriani being signed as a 15, they were still trying to recruit Barnes. That may have been more complicated if there was a second strong contender for the number 10 spot around. Who knows what promises were really made.

T

TOCC

Let's not forget that the season is longer in 2011... Depth will be a absolute necessary

hilgendorf could play 10 with Huxley at 12, cipriani at 15 and gerrard on the wing

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

i want to know what the post rugby incentives they're offering are, they surely cant offer everyone a position in the rebels administration post career? what other possibilities for it are there?

talked to a massive leaguey and knights fan, he said that vuna was the goods and was quite shitted that he was going, though he also supports rugby.

Cyril Towers (30)

Most of the franchises don't offer post rugby incentives as such. They do try to enhance post rugby opportunity by encouraging tertiary studies (including paying HECS fees etc), associating players with a sponsor which may lead to post rugby employment, and I know that the Rebels are also insisting that each player is associated with a charitable organisation and do some hands on work with them to lift the club's profile in the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.