• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Melbourne Rebels recruitment: update what you hear

RugbyFuture said:
i want to know what the post rugby incentives they're offering are

Well obviously, living in Melbourne. Do you think we have been able to grab all these stars from the other S14 franchises with anything else? ;)

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Wasn't there confirmation somewhere Blake had signed?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Just dug this up - the Melbourne Rebels squad during the ARC. A few suprising names I forgot played there!

Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs),
Scott Cameron (Sydney University),
Matt Cockbain* (GPS, Brisbane), - has been called into the Wallabies RWC squad
Nick Churven (GPS, Brisbane),
David Croft*(Queensland Reds)(Captain),
Luke Cross (GPS, Brisbane),
David Dennis (NSW Waratahs),
Jack Farrer (Sydney University),
Dave Haigh (Sydney University),
James Hanson ,
Nick Hensley (Sydney University),
Michael Hobbs (University of Queensland),
Matt Hodgson (Western Force),
Digby Ioane* (Queensland Reds),
Dan Kelly (Sydney University),
Heamani Lavaka (Easts, Sydney),
James Lew (Norths, Sydney),
Shawn Mackay ,
Filipe Manu ,
Jon McGrath (Western Force),
Damon Murphy,
Peter Owens (Sydney University),
Dan Palmer,
Peter Playford (ACT Brumbies),
Mike Ross (Easts, Sydney),
Richard Stanford (ACT Brumbies),
Liam Shaw (Norths, Sydney),
Nathan Trist (Sydney University).

T

tranquility

blake is only mooted

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

tranquility said:
blake is only mooted

There are so many young good Victorian props around, why not take a punt of them for a 1 year contract. It would be cheap than Blake.

A contract with Blake is high $$$ spent on a player destined to be stabled.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

DPK said:
Just dug this up - the Melbourne Rebels squad during the ARC. A few suprising names I forgot played there!

How can you forget Burgo played for the Rebels?

He was seriously good in the 1 year of the ARC. He came second to KB (Kurtley Beale) for player of the series by like 1 point or something.

Croft was also very good in that comp. Dennis was decently good. I remember him playing well in a couple of games.

Hodgson flew beneath my radar when I was watching those games, as did Palmer. If I remember correctly the Rebels scrum wasn't anything to write home about though.

The Rebels ARC team was somewhat like the original Brumbies, a real knocked together team of hopefuls who came (moderately) good in the comp.

I didn't realise that Shawn Mackay played for the Rebels. That adds to the tragedy of his passing for me at least as it gives me more of a emotional link to him.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Rebs were awesome - lead the series most of the way IIRC. Captain Blood. Hands in the ruck. Quick taps. They were the good old days.

G

Geeves

Damn I miss the ARC. As already mentioned the Rebels were fantastic that year. Crofty as captain played all season like he did when he played for Aussie 'A' against the French. He just dominated the breakdowns.

It will be interesting to see the final team put together. They still look light in the lock departments. I'm not a fan of Byrnes as he just can't take the idiot factor out of his game. Campbell well his best years are past him. I'll be interesting to see who fills in the development role.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Nothing to do with the ARC or the Rebs but man I miss watching Crofty play.

T

TOCC

Geeves said:
Damn I miss the ARC. As already mentioned the Rebels were fantastic that year. Crofty as captain played all season like he did when he played for Aussie 'A' against the French. He just dominated the breakdowns.

It will be interesting to see the final team put together. They still look light in the lock departments. I'm not a fan of Byrnes as he just can't take the idiot factor out of his game. Campbell well his best years are past him. I'll be interesting to see who fills in the development role.
Luke Jones is one of the best up and coming locks in the country, whilst probably not ready for Super rugby in 2011, he will probably be seen off the bench a few times and could be ready to assume a starting role in 2012

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

James Buchanan said:
Hodgson flew beneath my radar when I was watching those games, as did Palmer. If I remember correctly the Rebels scrum wasn't anything to write home about though.

In retrospect I think I may remember Palmer or at least a prop who had similar hair. He was quite a bit fatter and I used to spent great portions of games yelling at him to stop seagulling.

The ARC Rebs would often end up with a 2 on 1 on the wing and those 2 would be the props. They had a seriously low work-rate.

G

Geeves

TOCC said:
Luke Jones is one of the best up and coming locks in the country, whilst probably not ready for Super rugby in 2011, he will probably be seen off the bench a few times and could be ready to assume a starting role in 2012

It will be interesting to see him play. If injuries force rapid and constant selection I hope he rises to the occasion as its one area that can still do with greater depth. I still vividly remember how well Sharpe stood up in 99 when Eales was out for the season.

The Rebels are going to have to pray for a relatively free injury toll. If they are sensible they may spend a bit of time looking past the other states academy players as that system is starting to annoy me. I believe that a number of players are effectively chucked on scrap heap way too early. A lot of the initial Brumbies came from this wilderness and I can see it happening again with the academy system. There is more than one rough diamond running around club land that could do some decent polishing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

are we sure Palmer was in the squad? He was only 19 in 2007. The list I have of Rebel players is:

David Haigh, Filipe Manu, Matt Hodgson, Jack Farrer, James Lew, Luke Cross, David Croft (Captain), Dan Kelly, Michael Hobbs, Damon Murphy, Nathan Trist, James Hanson, Nick Churven, Nick Hensley, Liam Shaw, David Dennis, Matt Cockbain, Richard Stanford, Shawn MacKay, Peter Owens, Heamani Lavaka, Mike Ross, Scott Cameron, Jon McGrath, Luke Burgess, Digby Ioane, Peter Playford.

Scott Cameron was the prop I remember from the tournament. I was very impressed with him.

The first team was:

15 Trist
14 Playford
13 Lew
12 Farrar
11 Diggers
10 Kelly
9 Burgo
8 Haig
7 Croft
6 Dennis
5 Cockbain
4 Stanford
3 Lavaka
2 Churven
1 Cameron

16 Hanson
17 Ross
18 Shaw
19 Manu
20 McGrath
21 Hobbs
22 Murphy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yep. He is the son of All Black legend Jock Hobbs.

Did some study in Briso and played QLD under age teams (I believe) and for QLD Uni.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I would love to see the Rebs using their Academy to squeeze some gems out of the Vic locals.

There are a few guys who have gone North, played first grade in Qld or NSW for a couple of years and have gotten nowhere for whatever reason and come home. Polish these boys up.

I'd be doing some serious scouting.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

I remember a kid named 'House' biggest unit I have ever seen at the age of fourteen at the U14 NSWJRU state championships(when I was that young). Apparently he was younger then as well, what's happened to him?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)

The Rebel army have done a slideshow and page showing the currently signed players.

http://www.rebel-army.com/meet-the-rebels

Interestingly, the slidehsow ends with a picture that I hope is their jersey, hopefully not just a mock up to get our hopes up.

Attachments

• Rebels Jersey.jpg
    Rebels Jersey.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 327

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)

The jersey looks great now, but with all of the money they're spending and positions they're offering the jersey will look more like this..

Attachments

• Rebels Jerseylogos.jpg
    Rebels Jerseylogos.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 369
Status
Not open for further replies.