• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Blue said:
Thomond78 said:
NTA said:
Shirley they can't be thinking of Smit at THP? He's handy there but Sheridan with an Irish lock up his arse will probably get the better of him. Isn't there someone who is a full-timer there?

Forget Sheridan. Gethin Jenkins is far, far, far better than him. Sheridan has been crap, and shouldn't even be there - I'd have Vickery as a loosehead instead of him, and taken Hayes for the lineout work, as Murray's been unimpressive.

Jenkins has been scrummaging excellently - milled Doep last night - and his work around the pitch is simply outstanding. Sheridan, by contrast, is a lazy fucker.

May I point out to you that due to Tassies forming a core part of my diet for a number of years during my misdirected youth and having seen first hand what it can do to perfectly good God fearing people, I cannot take you seriously ever again ;D

I'm a fully-licensed Stellenbosch yakka brew-master, I'll have you know. Don't make me pull out the Lemony Death Liquid.

And it could be Old Brown Sherry. Count your blessings. ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Red Beard said:
Cant believe how poor the crowds have been so far in the Lions series. The Lions tour of NZ was huge (admittedly smaller stadiums, but better turnout by NZ rugby public per head of population IMO).

I think it's been too expensive for the man on the street. IT should change from now on though.
True it is expansive but I think our lot havent got hooked up on this tour. Blame in on the modern game and overdose of rugby. Like I said saturday will be the test of the supporter but the tests already sold outs. Ask Thomo, tickets is like chicken teeth already.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok said:
Blue said:
Red Beard said:
Cant believe how poor the crowds have been so far in the Lions series. The Lions tour of NZ was huge (admittedly smaller stadiums, but better turnout by NZ rugby public per head of population IMO).

I think it's been too expensive for the man on the street. IT should change from now on though.
True it is expansive but I think our lot havent got hooked up on this tour. Blame in on the modern game and overdose of rugby. Like I said saturday will be the test of the supporter but the tests already sold outs. Ask Thomo, tickets is like chicken teeth already.

Thought you said SA was really gearing up for the return to old school tours PB? Has that not been the case? Would have allowing Boks back to their teams made much difference?

Great pity because for me it has just turned into a few warm up matches before a test series rather than a great tour where you could really get into it. Or are we being too harsh and there has been a good build up but ticket prices keeping people away from games.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think if someone had conjoured up a shock win in the early games then people would have turned up to the latter warm ups.

No boks = no chance of a win.

And seriously.
The Bulls were the only team in NZ that had a hope of playing consistent rugby in the S14

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh Gambler all the Saffers aint like me. I know tours and respect and enjoy it but in the modern days our lot get a lot of rugby.

Jan is the 23th man in the team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
eddo said:
I think if someone had conjoured up a shock win in the early games then people would have turned up to the latter warm ups.

No boks = no chance of a win.

And seriously.
The Bulls were the only team in NZ that had a hope of playing consistent rugby in the S14
Think the opposite is more spot on. If the Lions show steel they'll attrack more. Most punters dont rate them like a All Black tour.

The Sharks were pretty good in the S14 untill the Tin Ears delt with them.

R

Red Beard

Personally following the All Blacks on a rugby tour of South Africa would be the ultimate for me but I will need to rob a few banks first. Regarding the poor attendances so far, thats live TV for ya. If those games were blacked out in the region they were played in (like they sometimes do in NFL), I bet there would have been more buns on seats. But the fact is its much cheaper and easier to park up on the couch with a box of beer and watch a game than purchase an actual ticket and travel to the venue.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its the old conundrum RB - pay TV funds a large part of the game, but cuts off its nose to spite its face, to a degree...

F

formeropenside

I find, as a forward more interested in what in going on in the dirty tight work, that you see that much better on TV. The ground has atmosphere and the big picture going for it, but if I want to watch backs run around I can always go and watch women's athletics.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Red Beard said:
Regarding the poor attendances so far, thats live TV for ya. If those games were blacked out in the region they were played in (like they sometimes do in NFL), I bet there would have been more buns on seats. But the fact is its much cheaper and easier to park up on the couch with a box of beer and watch a game than purchase an actual ticket and travel to the venue.
It will bring more but it dont play any role in the S14. Thats the worrying one, ledd people then S14 matches at the moment but I am positive it will pick up. The main reason is the prizes and the top Bok not playing also. It made a huge differense in the attendenses at CC time in 2008 to 2007. I know its hurting most NH and myself but your man in the street dont care to much about the Lions. Maybe its the Golden Lions mistake but I'll bet you if the All Blacks would have tour here it would made one huge differense.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Forget about the crowds and everything else, you Saffas. Just get your mind on the job and clean up these motherf'ckers. World champions losing to this rabble? Unthinkable.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'll never call them rabble and are a bit worried about our changes. The first test will be vital. That will be the make or break one.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Forget about the crowds and everything else, you Saffas. Just get your mind on the job and clean up these motherf'ckers. World champions losing to this rabble? Unthinkable.
the last time this rabble won a tour it was against the (then) world champion Springboks...

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
I'll never call them rabble and are a bit worried about our changes. The first test will be vital. That will be the make or break one.

I'll send The Plank over to teach your blokes how much respect the EEELs rabble deserves :) If that doesn't work, I'll send Austin Healey and Mat Dawson.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Send them Biffo. Watch last night our local Boots & All and they got the 1997 lot giving the 2009 ones Bok jerseys. Must say Bakkies receive his from Mark Andrews. Looked a bit out of all odds. I am sure we have the personal but there are a lot of dangerous signs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Reports are that Schalk Burger will miss the first test. No call for a replacement, and Danie Rossouw will start.

So a back row of Spies, Rossouw, Smith. No openside. No Brussow.

So we will take on the Lions without:

1. a TH prop
2. an openside
3. a fullback

What the fuck is the Puppet parade thinking? We can hammer these guys at the breakdown and win the kicking game but looks like Puppet has other plans.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
What the fuck is the Puppet parade thinking? We can hammer these guys at the breakdown and win the kicking game but looks like Puppet has other plans.

You have hit the nail perfectly. Boks have far more skill than their EEEKs counterparts, especially at the set pieces. The huge difference between RSA/NZ/Oz rugby and the Euro trash is speed. Use it to and at the breakdown and for backline attack and counter attack. Speed kills.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Blue said:

You have hit the nail perfectly. Boks have far more skill than their EEEKs counterparts, especially at the set pieces. The huge difference between RSA/NZ/Oz rugby and the Euro trash is speed. Use it to and at the breakdown and for backline attack and counter attack. Speed kills.
OK so why do he have to call up Brussouw, if Brussouw is with the squad? :nta:
The Springboks were to embark on an important phase of their build-up to the series against the British and Irish Lions by getting to grips with the Emerging Springboks in a contact session in Durban on Thursday morning.

With the Emerging Boks in camp with the senior Boks for the next two weeks, the Springbok management have planned a second contact session for Friday morning as they try to make up the short-fall they face when it comes to having the players match hard for the opening test in Durban on June 20.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Have my tickets for tomorrow and will have Andre Venter in the box. Will be great to have a talk to the Legend Springbok!

Dont worry Thomo our game is also safe.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Have my tickets for tomorrow and will have Andre Venter in the box. Will be great to have a talk to the Legend Springbok!

Tell him Biff said "thanks for all the fun you gave us for so many years. good luck for the future."

Status
Not open for further replies.