• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lions just did the bizness on Natal.

I wonder if they may just put a schellacking on the Boks.. that would make the tri nations fun.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
eddo said:
Lions just did the bizness on Natal.

I wonder if they may just put a schellacking on the Boks.. that would make the tri nations fun.

Whilst I think talking about a schellacking is taking it a bit far, I think they have every chance of winning this series.

However, reading player interviews on SA websites at least the Bok players aren't taking it lightly like the media and fans seem to be.

On another note, how piss poor were these Sharks? Seriously, you get one chance in your life to play against the Lions. I would have thought you put your body on the line and leave everything out there. The Cheetahs gave it a full go but jeez the Sharks were pussies.

It's a continuation of a pisser than poor season from the Sharks, who have turned into a bunch of show ponies and also rans.

With the budget he has at his disposal, Plumtree has really disappointed but the player need to take some blame and a collective kick up the arse as well.

Something has to give in the Tank because surely this can't be seen to be good enough.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Impressive game by the Lions. Thought they send out real warnings for the Bokke, make no mistake. Carstens kak, Jannie Doep kak, Muller kak, Sucks kak, Deysel kak and oh Cockett kak. Difficult to find one shiner in that Shark team, they look like schoolboys vs men. I never rated Cocky and Hanno also dip last week. This is the type of game a scrummie must show his worth playing behind a back paddling pack.

Anyway the Lions impressed me with their hard crafting in the pack and their defense. Good work by the men in red and now only WP left and I dont have high hopes for saturday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Sharks weren't great but it wasn't their S14 team by any means; though Kockott disappointed me.

Not bad from the Lions and quite a few to come into that 22 for the test IMO.

BOD and Jamie Roberts have been superb on this tour IMO and ditto for scrummie Phillips and 15 Lee Bryne. The choice between ROG and Stephen Jones at 10 for the 1st test will be fascinating.

When this tour is over BOD should move to 12. He is the player who most resembles Tim Horan IMO and I always thought he should be wearing the 12 jersey anyway. Now that he has lost the pace he had in his pomp, as we saw when he took an interception against the Sharks, it should justify a move closer to the ruck and scrum.

Then he could become the perfect Kiwi type 2nd five: as a second 1st 5 with a decent kicking game, and capable of adding value with golden balls to the 13 or fullback, or able to make a short burst inside or outside on his own behalf. What a player.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Impressive game by the Lions. Thought they send out real warnings for the Bokke, make no mistake. Carstens kak, Jannie Doep kak, Muller kak, Sucks kak, Deysel kak and oh Cockett kak. Difficult to find one shiner in that Shark team, they look like schoolboys vs men. I never rated Cocky and Hanno also dip last week. This is the type of game a scrummie must show his worth playing behind a back paddling pack.

Anyway the Lions impressed me with their hard crafting in the pack and their defense. Good work by the men in red and now only WP left and I dont have high hopes for saturday.

I must say it is a worry that one of the better Super 14 packs and one of SA's two best got dealt with so easily.

Starting to worry about scrums. We are looking pretty thin at tighthead now with du Plessis getting whipped although in a stronger T5 he will be better. If we need him. ie if Smit struggles.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Shirley they can't be thinking of Smit at THP? He's handy there but Sheridan with an Irish lock up his arse will probably get the better of him. Isn't there someone who is a full-timer there?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
When this tour is over BOD should move to 12. He is the player who most resembles Tim Horan IMO and I always thought he should be wearing the 12 jersey anyway. Now that he has lost the pace he had in his pomp, as we saw when he took an interception against the Sharks, it should justify a move closer to the ruck and scrum.
Brilliant bit of work from the Shark winger to get him in the end. For some reason my 10 year old boy is a huge BoD fanatic and I sort of enjoyed that one. Told him if it was Jean the pill should be planted between the sticks. ;)

Dunno if 12 will be a good option for the legend, he seems to attack the line and his passing was a bit wayward but he sure need to be checked by opposition.

Agree Blue I am moerse worried about the scrumming, thats one and the other is match rustyness.

The crowd attendeces is a real shocker on this tour but hell the prizes and the top Bokke not playing to blame for this. OK the usual SA monuments of crowd are Newlands and Loftus. Saturday will show if there is a improvement on this. Our Newlands faithfull know everything about supporting our team through thick and thin.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
NTA said:
Shirley they can't be thinking of Smit at THP? He's handy there but Sheridan with an Irish lock up his arse will probably get the better of him. Isn't there someone who is a full-timer there?

Forget Sheridan. Gethin Jenkins is far, far, far better than him. Sheridan has been crap, and shouldn't even be there - I'd have Vickery as a loosehead instead of him, and taken Hayes for the lineout work, as Murray's been unimpressive.

Jenkins has been scrummaging excellently - milled Doep last night - and his work around the pitch is simply outstanding. Sheridan, by contrast, is a lazy fucker.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Lee Grant said:
Brilliant bit of work from the Shark winger to get him in the end. For some reason my 10 year old boy is a huge BoD fanatic and I sort of enjoyed that one. Told him if it was Jean the pill should be planted between the sticks. ;)

Dunno if 12 will be a good option for the legend, he seems to attack the line and his passing was a bit wayward but he sure need to be checked by opposition.

Agree Blue I am moerse worried about the scrumming, thats one and the other is match rustyness.

The crowd attendeces is a real shocker on this tour but hell the prizes and the top Bokke not playing to blame for this. OK the usual SA monuments of crowd are Newlands and Loftus. Saturday will show if there is a improvement on this. Our Newlands faithfull know everything about supporting our team through thick and thin.

Otherwise known as the backs and the tight five, respectively. ;)

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thomond78 said:
Forget Sheridan. Gethin Jenkins is far, far, far better than him. Sheridan has been crap,

My point exactly Oirish: even Sheridan (with the proviso he gets POC or DOC up his clacker - maybe even Nathan Hines) who get the better of Smit. If they throw their good props at him, it'd be moider!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
NTA said:
Thomond78 said:
Forget Sheridan. Gethin Jenkins is far, far, far better than him. Sheridan has been crap,

My point exactly Oirish: even Sheridan (with the proviso he gets POC or DOC up his clacker - maybe even Nathan Hines) who get the better of Smit. If they throw their good props at him, it'd be moider!

Ah, gotcha. Fair point.

AWJ is ahead of Hines, btw; DOC needs a big game on Saturday, especially at the lineout, to get ahead of them.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
WP will have a much better lineout to what the Tjarks offered. Both van Zyl & Muller is your aerial type. Thats a worry because you need someone to clean rucks and enforce.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hey and I love your Tassie avator. For those who dont know that is the Maties national drink and if you want to catch crayfish barehand or want to trap white mossels at Ysterforntein at the Cape west Coast, a bottle of that medicine beforehand may do the trick! :thumb

R

Red Beard

Cant believe how poor the crowds have been so far in the Lions series. The Lions tour of NZ was huge (admittedly smaller stadiums, but better turnout by NZ rugby public per head of population IMO).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:

Options:

Kruger - Bulls - too green but could be the future
CJ vd Linde - Injured
BJ Botha - overseas and Puppet doesn't like that - Sheridan owned him in the RWC pool game
Jannie - dealt with Sheridan very well in the RWC final

So Jannie is the only real alternative.

I think I feel a little bit sick.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Red Beard said:
Cant believe how poor the crowds have been so far in the Lions series. The Lions tour of NZ was huge (admittedly smaller stadiums, but better turnout by NZ rugby public per head of population IMO).

I think it's been too expensive for the man on the street. IT should change from now on though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thomond78 said:
NTA said:

Forget Sheridan. Gethin Jenkins is far, far, far better than him. Sheridan has been crap, and shouldn't even be there - I'd have Vickery as a loosehead instead of him, and taken Hayes for the lineout work, as Murray's been unimpressive.

Jenkins has been scrummaging excellently - milled Doep last night - and his work around the pitch is simply outstanding. Sheridan, by contrast, is a lazy fucker.

May I point out to you that due to Tassies forming a core part of my diet for a number of years during my misdirected youth and having seen first hand what it can do to perfectly good God fearing people, I cannot take you seriously ever again ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.