• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Have my tickets for tomorrow and will have Andre Venter in the box. Will be great to have a talk to the Legend Springbok!

Tell him Biff said "thanks for all the fun you gave us for so many years. good luck for the future."
Will do that. Sure he'll appreciate it. He is still paralyse, so a effort to get him 7 floors up in a wheelchair.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
OK so why do he have to call up Brussouw, if Brussouw is with the squad? :nta:

As far as I know Brussow is not in the Bok squad. Or is he?

According to this Rossouw will replace Schalk. No talk of Brussow unless he is keeping it hush.

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/06/12/burger-blow-for-boks-2/

Schalk Burger is set to miss the first Test against the British & Irish Lions in Durban.

According to newspaper reports on Friday, the Bok flank has a serious on-going calf injury, which he picked up a month ago in the Super 14.

He has not been able to take part in training with the Boks, and has reportedly been ruled out of the first Test on medical grounds.

While flank Heinrich Brussow has been in superb form for the Cheetahs this season, and was their stand-out player against the touring Lions, Danie Rossouw will reportedly replace Burger in the Bok side.

:nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
British & Irish Lions versus Western Province on Saturday 13th June

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland)
13. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
12. Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England)
11. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)
10. Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales)
9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
6. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
5. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
4. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland)
3. Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England) captain
2. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks/England)

Replacements:

16. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
17. Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland)
18. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
19. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
20. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)
21. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
22. Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland)

Sorry Blue my mistake, thought he was in the Emercengy squad.

H

Hugonaut

Forgive my ignorance, but I hadn't heard about Andre Venter's condition. Just read up on it a little, and that is a savage, savage blow for a man who was one of the most physical rugby players of his era.

The guy was a monster, typified the Springboks for many of us in Ireland and the NH in general - a huge, blond, ruthless, double-hard b*stard [just an expression] who used to run around all day smashing people. I'm sure that he's getting all the best support there is in South Africa, but best of luck in his recovery from Ireland as well. A true Springbok legend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hugonaut said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I hadn't heard about Andre Venter's condition. Just read up on it a little, and that is a savage, savage blow for a man who was one of the most physical rugby players of his era.

The guy was a monster, typified the Springboks for many of us in Ireland and the NH in general - a huge, blond, ruthless, double-hard b*stard [just an expression] who used to run around all day smashing people. I'm sure that he's getting all the best support there is in South Africa, but best of luck in his recovery from Ireland as well. A true Springbok legend.
No probs Boet, sure he was a hard man on the field but a gent from it. Like most Boer Boks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Also saw that, WeePee will have Grant & Newman. Newman the new kid on the block. Should be interesting to see Chavagha vs Monye.

I am not to worried about the backs, its that tight 5 that have me worried but the Stormers three loosies may make up for it.

Dunno much about Kearney, he'll be crucial if it rain and its stormy on Newlands. Genl Willem sure will land a few if the weather is bad.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Kearney has had a quality year for Ireland and if it wasnt for Byrne he would be a very deserving 15 for the Lions.

I must admit I put a couple of dollars on the Lions to win 3-0 but now PB has put a few doubts in my mind. Would certainly be more confident with Brussow in the team.

PB - wouldnt a few young players have more chance of impressing if they were playing with other Boks and beating the Lions, rather than losing by big margins and not getting any recognition.

Sure a few more players are getting the chance to play against the Lions this way, and what a thrill that must be, but the players that would miss out if the Boks had come back in would surely not be in with a chance of making the Bok team anytime soon. Those that would be in the local sides playing along side the Boks are the ones missing out on the chance to impress Bok selectors (politicians).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
I must admit I put a couple of dollars on the Lions to win 3-0 but now PB has put a few doubts in my mind. Would certainly be more confident with Brussow in the team.
Hope you dont end up like the avator photo, kaalgat. :lmao:

the gambler said:
PB - wouldnt a few young players have more chance of impressing if they were playing with other Boks and beating the Lions, rather than losing by big margins and not getting any recognition.

Sure a few more players are getting the chance to play against the Lions this way, and what a thrill that must be, but the players that would miss out if the Boks had come back in would surely not be in with a chance of making the Bok team anytime soon. Those that would be in the local sides playing along side the Boks are the ones missing out on the chance to impress Bok selectors (politicians).
Look you have to put up CC glasses to understand the way the provinces think. They will be without their Springbokke for most of the competitions and want to built their teams. The players had a little break since the end of the S14 and maybe have a lack in sharpness for the tour. You do have a valid point tho but take Sarel Pretorius as a example. In my books he passed both Cocky & Vermaak showing his worth on the international level. Thats what I'll like to see from the youngsters and the make up of the teams is as such that every single talented Saffer (even Kuhn gets a run now with the Vikings) have a change to do the same. Its up to them to grab it and it wont be like that if the Bokke played in the teams.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Ek't kaartjies vir die Loftus test gekry! ;D O0 ;D O0 :thumb

In the Oospaviljoen, no less. Oom, wish me luck and if anything happens, just tell my family it was quick and clean... :eek:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:

In the Oospaviljoen, no less. Oom, wish me luck and if anything happens, just tell my family it was quick and clean... :eek:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Lekker, dont worry Thomo they wont touch you when you speak Boer, they'll admire you but just leave their parents alone, that will cost you. Wish I can join you in Brute Ring.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thomond78 said:

Bugger I'm jealous. Enjoy your time on the hallowed ground.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Jessie just back from Newlands and what a great game. Thought Lawrence was way to lient to the Lions but WP really played well with that youngsters. Fell a bit more better now and will put up a few pictures. The kids went mad but hell the Lion supporters was something to enjoy. My arse are wet but all the wothy while! :thumb

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomo thats your view
DSCN1092.jpg

me and the kiddies
DSCN1099.jpg

and the Province flags still waving after the loss
DSCN1102.jpg

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Jones had a bit of a 'mare, to be honest.

And I'll be frank; I think Lawrence was suckered for those penalties at the end. Murray just went straight to deck, each time, but subtly enough to milk the penalty.

We were lucky. Shit lucky. Bar Tommy Bowe being on fire and beating four defenders for fun twice, we'd have lost.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sure Lawrence was crap but WP had every chance to win this. They should have kept the ball in hand more. Lots of senseless kicking. De Wall is so one dimensional. He tried to run three times in the whole match and every time he passed forward.

WP did some really dumb things. They did not contest a single lineout. Sure they wanted to be in position to counter the mall but they never gave themselves a chance of turnover ball, which the scrummie and de Waal kicked away in any case.

They just strike me as a very dumb team who can't change their tactics on the field. The Stormers were the same. A bit of thinking could have gone a logn way to get them over the line.

Anybody who still wants Watson in the Bok setup needs to look at last night's match to see why not. He disappears when things get nasty.

I was very encouraged by how well the very light and inexperienced five of the WP fronted.

I still eagerly await seeing Sheridan take a bind. It will be a momentous occasion.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja Dewaldt did kick a few times but surely he showed the way to play behind a pack that dont dominate. His service was crisps even under pressure and its obvious the differense between him and either Cocky & Vermaak that could not deal to play behind a losing pack.

Liebenberg sure show he isnt shy for the rough stuff and put up his hand yesterday. Will give Pieter Louws garnny a call, he sure played good yesterday. Giotjie should have started, two times both Bobo and Chavangha had open lines but both botch that changes, Myself though Willem played well enough and his kicking was required in the wet.

Powell wasnt bad yesterday but he sure look like a arrogant arse. My son was waiting for OGara to played but if Jones is first pick in 10, I wont have sleepless nights. WP's defense was good I thought and at times the Lions look like running out of options. Havent look on the TV but it look like either Blaauw & Sheridan was strong because the scrum kept on spinning to the TH sides.

Anyway at least WP showed a bit of guts, fighting right until the end and if Lawrense was a bit more leniant to them and gave them pill in grey areas of the game it could have been diffirent.

Sure now judge on yesterday crowd the ticket prizes are way to high.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Myself though Willem played well enough and his kicking was required in the wet.

Unfortunately he kicked everything except the three he passed forward. It dones.t help if a guy kicks well four or five times anmd then kicks when he should have run or passed. A bot more clever decision making from Province and they could have won that game.

With De Waal at 10, Province will not win a Currie Cup and the Stormers wonlt finish in the top half of the S14. He is incapable of doing anything but kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.