• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
He delt pretty good with the Brutes in the Ring in the past in a CC final. You maybe right tho, because he done that already for the Tin Ears, maybe that still hurts you. :lmao:

We could have won as my aunt could have balls, its gone now but I am sure WP will at least go in the CC with more confidense as either the Sharks or Lions.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
He delt pretty good with the Brutes in the Ring in the past in a CC final. You maybe right tho, because he done that already for the Tin Ears, maybe that still hurts you. :lmao:

We could have won as my aunt could have balls, its gone now but I am sure WP will at least go in the CC with more confidense as either the Sharks or Lions.

Paarl that was a completely different time for the Bulls and Cheetahs. I don't understand how you want to compare a CC game back then with what is needed to win games now. The games has moved on.

Appears neither WP nor the Stormers want to admit that though.

But be my guest. Keep backing De Waal. It will get you nowhere.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That performance by de Waal was straight out of a rugby textbook published in the 60s, maybe even the 50s. During the second half his stats popped up: 13 kicks against 4 runs. My 18 year old son thought that was pretty pathetic from a modern five-eighth. His constant kicking tactic would be very easy for a disciplined and athletic side to counter. A few more passes to his outside backs and WP may've won this game.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Blue said:
With De Waal at 10, Province will not win a Currie Cup and the Stormers wonlt finish in the top half of the S14. He is incapable of doing anything but kick.
Wrong Blue. He has proved very capable at stifling Peter Grant's development at 10. Although I guess that blame should go to Rassie, and Grant for being unable to claim the 10 jersey. End result will probably be Grant buggering off somewhere else.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am not that a big de Waal fan but I thought his kicks put us on the right side of the field on saturday. Like some noted previously we did not challenge their throw and in the end we lost due to lack of pill. Not to blame the players as such but Lawrence (I rate him the best) sort of made some strange decisions and not being consystense. The Lions props did not bind and he gave us all the penalties specially that last call on JD was a bit harsh I felt.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
After all this moaning and groaning about attending figures to the Lions matches it look like the Southern Kings want to get a Lions record in PE for the next game. Derick Kuhn will lead the team
Rugby365
Küun: 'Let's help build Kings franchise'

Derick Küun, hooker of the victorious Bulls Super 14 team, has made a passionate plea to the other South African outfits to throw their collective weight behind the formation of the new Eastern Cape franchise, the Southern Kings.

The EC franchise will be formally launched when Küun leads them out against the touring British and Irish Lions at the purpose-build Nelson Mandela Bay stadium on Tuesday - in front of what may well be a world record crowd for a non-Test fixture against the B&I Lions.

Speaking to rugby365.com, after a training run in Port Elizabeth, Küun said the need for a strong rugby team in the Eastern Cape is very evident.

He described Tuesday's encounter with the world's most famous touring team, the B&I Lions, as "something very unique" and said it could be the ideal launchpad for the new franchise -hoping for entry into Super Rugby when the SANZAR competition is expanded in 2001.

"As we all know, the Southern Kings are trying to launch a franchise that can compete in the Super 15," Küun told rugby365, adding: "And it is a great privilege for us to lay a solid foundation for them."

He said the entire team, which includes eight players with current or former Bulls affiliations, are looking forward to the occasion.

"Many of us would not have played against the Lions [was it not for the invitation to join the Kings] and we now have this opportunity, so we are going to make the most of it," the hooker said.

He felt it is vitally important, for South African rugby in general, that there is a strong franchise in the Eastern Cape.

"It is certainly important that we help them [the Kings] get off the ground," Küun told rugby365.

"Just look at the history of how important rugby was in the Eastern Cape," he said, adding: "Eastern Province was one of the powerhouses of South African rugby and for many this is where rugby started.

"When we arrived here [in Port Elizabeth for the Kings versus Lions game] you could see there was something missing.

"These people can't travel to other big centres [like Cape Town, Pretoria or Johannesburg] to watch rugby and the people are in need of something like this.

"Even for South Africa in general it would be great if there could be a strong franchise."

* Meanwhile the people of Port Elizabeth, or Nelson Mandela Bay as the city is now dubbed, are hoping to set a new world record for a non-Test match on a British and Irish Lions tour.

By Monday morning 35000 tickets have already been sold for Tuesday's showdown between the Kings and the touring Lions.

The current record for the highest number of tickets sold at a non-Test game against the Lions stands at 38000, set at a match between the Lions and New Zealand's Waikato Chiefs in 2005.
The Eastern Province Rugby Union was confident it could exceed this target and has its sights set on 40000 ticket sales.

EPRU Chief Executive Anele Pamba told the media that the union was "confident" of reaching the target, which excludes 7000 complimentary tickets which have already been given away.

"We are about to break that record; I know we can definitely do it," Pamba said.

Kings team manager Zola Yeye, a former Springbok team manager, was very excited about the prospect that the launch of the new Southern Kings franchise could set an attendance record in its first game.

"The people are hungry for rugby and this is very exciting," he told rugby365.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions squad: K Earls (Munster & Ireland); S Williams (Ospreys & Wales), R Flutey (Wasps & England), G D'Arcy (Leinster & Ireland), L Fitzgerald (Leinster & Ireland), J Hook (Ospreys & Wales), M Blair (Edinburgh & Scotland); A Sheridan (Sale Sharks & England), R Ford (Edinburgh & Scotland), E Murray (Northampton & Scotland), S Shaw (Wasps & England), D O'Callaghan (Munster & Ireland) (capt), N Hines (Perpignan & Scotland), J Worsley (Wasps & England), A Powell (Cardiff Blues & Wales).

Replacements: M Rees (Scarlets & Wales), A Jones (Ospreys & Wales), T Croft (Leicester Tigers & England), D Wallace (Munster & Ireland), H Ellis (Leicester Tigers & England), R O'Gara (Munster & Ireland), U Monye (Harlequins & England).

Southern Kings (revised):

15. Tiger Mangweni, 14. Wylie Human, 13. Frikkie Welsh, 12. De Wet Barry, 11. Mat Turner, 10. Jaco van der Westhuyzen, 9. Francois Hougaard, 8. Darron Nell, 7. Solly Tyibilika, 6. Mpho Mbiyozo, 5. Ross Skeate, 4. Marco Wentzel, 3. Ruan Vermeulen, 2. Derick Kuun, 1. Jaco Engels.

Replacements - from: Simon Westraadt, Kevin Buys, Lungelo Payi, Heinrich Stride, Josh Fowles, Mzwandile Stick, Elger Watts, Bevin Fortuin, Henry Grimes, Michael Coetzee.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
For some reason the Kings team dont look that shabby, Brute front row, good locks, dunno the loose lot but surely a good defensive mid field, make no mistake.

The Lions team for the first test thus look like the lot not playing as certaiinties? Can some of you lot put them together? Byrne, Bowe , BoD, Roberts, Maryna, Jones, Phillips, exct (need some help here?)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That Lions 1st XV looks like the list of players who won't be in the Lions 1st XV for the test and most likely not in the 22.

If so it will be a let down for Shane Williams and Euan Murray who were considered certainties by many before the 2009 6N, though Williams could possible get ahead of Monye if he has a blinder.

Hines at 6? That makes for a pedestrian backrow though Powell found some form in the last game, and may be a chance still for the test 22 if he has a blinder also.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Shane Williams looked bad out of shape on saturday. Dunno about Powell, he wasnt bad against WP but then he played against Luke Watson , nowhere to be found.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Shane Williams earned his player of the year gong in 2008 but hasn't been at his best in 2009 in 6N or on the Lions tour.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Methinks that Kings team is goign to get snotted. Not a half bad Lions side, and that must be the biggest pack we'll see for some time to come. It's a little scary actually. If it can get to the breakdown that is...

Except for a few players, the Kings look like a cobbled together team of also rans and hopefuls. I hope I am wrong but it doesn't really matter - this is probably the last time we'll ever see them play. At least I hope the other franchise ends up in Melbourne.

What's the deal with Wentzel and Skeate? Fine players. Are they to remain in Europe?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dunno about Wentzel but Skeate will join Luke at Bath. See you have a rough time on the other side? :nta:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Dunno about Wentzel but Skeate will join Luke at Bath. See you have a rough time on the other side? :nta:

Not at all. It's fun arguing with the Baron. Bless him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Boks named

Springboks - 15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Adi Jacobs, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 John Smit (c), 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Deon Carstens, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Danie Rossouw, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Morne Steyn, 22 Jaque Fourie.

Status
Not open for further replies.