• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Being too lazy to look these things up, is this the first Lions test team without a representative from all the unions? Even more dire for Scotland, given these days there are 22!!
I know there is no quota, but the Scottish part of me weeps a little. The Welsh bit goes wooh-hoo! The Irish bit is really quite chuffed, but is a low percentage. I try to forget the English bit...
And yes, I am a true Lions hybrid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:
PaarlBok said:
Still dont go down well why D'Arcy boy dont wanted to shake De Wets hand after the game. Hell it was his oppertunity to shake a real Paarl Gym Ceres Farmers hand. :nta:

Think our lot are way to in this Lions thing in the head, way to much respect and all that. Hope the test side will go and show nothing of it when they hit the grass of the Tenk. They'll need to tackle that lumbering forwards standing in the way of the defense when the Lions have the pill. Refs seems to just let them play.

Damp Bazza was head-hunting, Oom. He was putting in cheap, late shots on people, especially D'Arcy, the whole time. Now, hard and fair is one thing - but he was out to maim. That's not on.
Back to his old ways? I remember he got a bit carried away with that stuff some years back. I always thought he was a hard player that let some crap spoil his game. He was a good tackler when he wanted to be, but let himself down at times with cheap rubbish.

That was more or less my take on it, too, Cyclo, I'd have to say.
Ag what do you expect from has beens, Dik nek and klein tandjies, still no reason not to shake hands after a game of rugby. Still unsporting and a cold beer and a laugh is the way to go no matter the war on the field.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
Being too lazy to look these things up, is this the first Lions test team without a representative from all the unions? Even more dire for Scotland, given these days there are 22!!
I know there is no quota, but the Scottish part of me weeps a little. The Welsh bit goes wooh-hoo! The Irish bit is really quite chuffed, but is a low percentage. I try to forget the English bit...
And yes, I am a true Lions hybrid.
Jerre Cyc you have it all there. Glad to see little Munster monsters tho. They are the ones that worry me because they are my favourate NH team.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Light back row, weak bench. The only thing that will keep the Lions in it will be the rustiness from the Boks.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Thomond78 said:
cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:
PaarlBok said:
Still dont go down well why D'Arcy boy dont wanted to shake De Wets hand after the game. Hell it was his oppertunity to shake a real Paarl Gym Ceres Farmers hand. :nta:

Think our lot are way to in this Lions thing in the head, way to much respect and all that. Hope the test side will go and show nothing of it when they hit the grass of the Tenk. They'll need to tackle that lumbering forwards standing in the way of the defense when the Lions have the pill. Refs seems to just let them play.

Damp Bazza was head-hunting, Oom. He was putting in cheap, late shots on people, especially D'Arcy, the whole time. Now, hard and fair is one thing - but he was out to maim. That's not on.
Back to his old ways? I remember he got a bit carried away with that stuff some years back. I always thought he was a hard player that let some crap spoil his game. He was a good tackler when he wanted to be, but let himself down at times with cheap rubbish.

Ag what do you expect from has beens, Dik nek and klein tandjies, still no reason not to shake hands after a game of rugby. Still unsporting and a cold beer and a laugh is the way to go no matter the war on the field.

Oom, Jaco vd Westhuyzen, who was also looking for trouble all match, started hurling abuse at O'Gara, as well as starting a shoving match, not once, but twice after the game, when O'Gara went up to shake hands. Now, given that was vd Westhuyzen's own choice, you can't blame D'Arcy - who, let's remember, has had a pretty horrendous 18 months with injury - with being royally sacked off if someone deliberately goes out to injure him.

Viciously hard but fair is one thing; going out to injure, illegally, is another. I note, by the way, that it was the backs who'd been in the NH and obviously wanted to get shit off their chests who were the problems; the forwards were, by and large, hard but fine.

H

Hugonaut

Thomond78 said:
... you can't blame D'Arcy - who, let's remember, has had a pretty horrendous 18 months with injury - with being royally sacked off if someone deliberately goes out to injure him.

Viciously hard but fair is one thing; going out to injure, illegally, is another. I note, by the way, that it was the backs who'd been in the NH and obviously wanted to get shit off their chests who were the problems; the forwards were, by and large, hard but fine.

Spot on Thomond78, agree completely. D'Arcy is a very decent chap, as anyone who knows him will testify – he's not being petulant in this case, just showing that he has no respect for a guy who went out of his way to cheap shot him all day. More power to him.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The Bull Hayes is out to replace Murray. Huzzah! Should have been there first day.

Gwlad is going ab-so-lutely mental over it, mind. Which just makes it all the sweeter. :lmao:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thomond78 said:
Viciously hard but fair is one thing; going out to injure, illegally, is another.

Yeah, the 2001 Lions had the same bitch/whine/moan about the Waratahs beating them up too. Especially ROG. Bloody hard to keep your halo clean when the 1989 Lions were an utter disgrace for the biff.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How bloody exciting.
The ABs under the pump v a cock-a-hoop French team.

A Wallaby team packed full of exciting rookies taking on the Italians.

And the best of Britain and IRL taking on the World Champs.

Bloody awesome.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thomond78 said:
PaarlBok said:
Thomond78 said:
cyclopath said:
Thomond78 said:
PaarlBok said:

Oom, Jaco vd Westhuyzen, who was also looking for trouble all match, started hurling abuse at O'Gara, as well as starting a shoving match, not once, but twice after the game, when O'Gara went up to shake hands. Now, given that was vd Westhuyzen's own choice, you can't blame D'Arcy - who, let's remember, has had a pretty horrendous 18 months with injury - with being royally sacked off if someone deliberately goes out to injure him.

De Wet Barry and Jaco VdW are two of the biggest dickheads to ever play for the Boks. Barry cost us a lot of points and some games by averaging about 10 minutes on the field per game. Seeing him play again reminded me how happy I was to see him go.

As for Jaco, dare I remind anyone of his childish antics with his Jesus T Shirt after the 2007 Bulls win. One of the most tasteless things ever witnessed on a rugby field.

Simple really. Low in the IQ stakes and the mentality of a 13 year old with ADD is what makes an adult perform like that.

Two players wouldn't mind never seeing again. In a Corne Krige sort of way. Good night and good luck.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Key word here is respect.

I have no problems with players being hard, but simply offering a handshake isnt enough to earn respect if he has deliberately commited acts of foul play. Heat of the moment stuff or a slight overstep of the mark in aggression is understandable and can be laughed off in the pub, deliberately swinging your forearm into someones jaw doesnt have to be.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
NTA said:
Thomond78 said:
Viciously hard but fair is one thing; going out to injure, illegally, is another.

Yeah, the 2001 Lions had the same bitch/whine/moan about the Waratahs beating them up too. Especially ROG. Bloody hard to keep your halo clean when the 1989 Lions were an utter disgrace for the biff.

Duncan McRae? Are you seriously defending pinning a guy down off the ball and punching his head off - because he was on the same squad as Martin Johnson, but McRae didn't have the stones to get his own back on Johnson for Johnson's (appalling, and in my opinion, deserving of a year-long ban) attack on him in the GP? Are you seriously claiming McRae was on the same level as the 1989 Lions (and let's remember here - the 1989 Wobblies were swinging with equally gay abandon themselves, just as the 1992 Wobblies did in MP (Moana Pasifika). It's just that they lost the fights as well as the matches on both occasions) - and if you are, let's see the same attack by a 1989 Lion on a 1989 Wobblie.

Turn it up, mate; that bird won't fight.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not defending McRae, but if some little dickhead had just elbowed me in the face while I wasn't even in a ruck I'd be inclined to punch the shit out of him too.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
NTA said:
I'm not defending McRae, but if some little dickhead had just elbowed me in the face while I wasn't even in a ruck I'd be inclined to punch the shit out of him too.

Like McRae did? Come off it, Nick; McRae was out on some personal grudge against Johnson's squad. I don't blame him, given what that prick Johnson did to him; but he was spark out of order. He went on long, long, long after any justification ended.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I missed the Kings game but know De Wet personally. He wasnt the same after Japie Muller broke his everything with a absolute veverything wrong blinder, high, late, no arms, exct and had to sit out a season. Think that change his mind one bit but I can promise you he is one hell of a nice guy when off the field. That shaking of hands when the game ends is just the way we teach the kids from 7 year old and have to happen. We'll never forget it and when we play each other again, we want to hit just harder to the previous one. De Wet as way over his playing days but on his day I saw him break Carters game on Newlands a few times with his hard tackles. Hard as stone on the field but a real nice lad off it. Dunno Jaco, never like him on and off the field.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
PaarlBok said:
I missed the Kings game but know De Wet personally. He wasnt the same after Japie Muller broke his everything with a absolute veverything wrong blinder, high, late, no arms,

Yeah that was bullshit - Mulder got a 6 week sentence from the SA Judiciary if I remember, 4 of which were suspended for good behaviour ::) Was one of the cheapest shots I've ever seen.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Oom, Martin Johnson off the pitch is a painfully shy, gentle man.

But on the pitch, he was a thug.

It doesn't matter if you're a lovely bloke off it; you'll be judged as a sportsman on what you do on the pitch. And De Wet Barry has enough form on the pitch to be judged on it by this stage.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh OK I understand your stand and respect it, but the handshake thing leave a bad taste. Myself usually shake the opponents hand the hardest that hit me the hardest in the game.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thomond78 said:
Are you seriously claiming McRae was on the same level as the 1989 Lions

Not on the same level at all - nowhere near it. The 1989 EEELs were far, far worse. Calder's (the captain, mind you) cowardly kinghit on Nick Farr-Jones was among the worst acts I have seen on a rugby field - and I was pretty close to the action when Meads did Catchpole, so I have a valid frame of reference.

McRae's mild punching of O'Gara was retaliatory. The actions of the 1989 EEELs weren't.

Give it up, T78. The EEELs have a dreadful and long record.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
On a side note. What song is played for the Lions during Anthems or is it only the host anthem?
Find the song:

together as four,
we embrace ourselves,
we stand together,
in perfect harmony
we gel as one,
boerewors rolls,
we love you too

chorus

viva, viva
lions we love you

repeat chorus 5 times and gradually fade