• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Biffo said:
Thomond78 said:
Are you seriously claiming McRae was on the same level as the 1989 Lions

Not on the same level at all - nowhere near it. The 1989 EEELs were far, far worse. Calder's (the captain, mind you) cowardly kinghit on Nick Farr-Jones was among the worst acts I have seen on a rugby field - and I was pretty close to the action when Meads did Catchpole, so I have a valid frame of reference.

McRae's mild punching of O'Gara was retaliatory. The actions of the 1989 EEELs weren't.

Give it up, T78. The EEELs have a dreadful and long record.

Mild punching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo03wUG-gZ0 From the 25 second mark on. I make it 12 punches - over one a second - before his own team-mate hauls him off.

I repeat; turn it up.

Oh, and on 1989 - here's the Youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z2m6DgwQ4. I note that, contrary to legend, it was Nick Farr-Jones who threw the first one on Robert Jones.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That episode alone should have ensured that Macrae never wore a Waratahs jumper again. Punching someone lying on the ground in the foetal position is cowardly.

The other similarly memorable and disgusting episode in Australia rugby was Brial on Bunce.

H

Hugonaut

Just watched that Brial/Bunce YouTube - hadn't seen it since the original broadcast.

He took a forearm fend across the mouth from Bunce – something you'd probably see a dozen times in a game – and just lost the rag to a ludicrous degree. Don't know what happened to him afterwards [in terms of career], but with a lack of composure like that, can't imagine that he was cut out for international rugby, despite whatever physical talents he had.

Also, Bunce holding on to the pill throughout was pretty impressive! Always liked Bunce, one of my favourite players when I was growing up.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Thomond78 said:

Not on the same level at all - nowhere near it. The 1989 EEELs were far, far worse.

:yay

Well, it'll be interesting to see if some of the Aussie players hang around after 2011 to play the EELs.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
If you're going to start a fight, be prepared to either finish it or be finished.

Nick that is such complete bullshit in the context of both those incidents. I'd warrant you wouldnt feel the same way if one of the big PI boys started pounding into you and no one stopped it. There is no place for that stuff on the rugby field. Handbags are fine, but punching someone repeatedly who isnt fighting back is cowardly.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
I note that, contrary to legend, it was Nick Farr-Jones who threw the first one on Robert Jones.

Punch? You must work by a different dictionary of the English language in the Emerald Isle: that was a PUSH. NFJ had had enough of his Welsh cousin standing on his foot and/or bumping him as he fed the pill into the scrum. NFJ throwing a punch? Pull the other leg Thomo, he's so mild-mannered he wouldn't squash a fly. Did you see the photo of NFJ's face after the second test?

Trying to defend the dirty underhand tactics of the 89 Lions on this forum will prove to be a fruitless exercise.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cutter said:
Nick that is such complete bullshit in the context of both those incidents. I'd warrant you wouldnt feel the same way if one of the big PI boys started pounding into you and no one stopped it. There is no place for that stuff on the rugby field. Handbags are fine, but punching someone repeatedly who isnt fighting back is cowardly.

If I was stupid enough to run at a big PI boy with my elbows raised, completely off the ball, aiming for his face, then I'd have to to take my fucking medicine, wouldn't I? Who is the coward for starting it?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Biffo said:
Thomond78 said:

Not on the same level at all - nowhere near it. The 1989 EEELs were far, far worse.

:yay

Well, it'll be interesting to see if some of the Aussie players hang around after 2011 to play the EELs.

I don't think too many of the "older brigade" will. Win or lose at RWC 2011, the older blokes will be more interested in going to Japan or Yurope to cash in. The money for three years of ease amongst Euro trash will dwarf that for staying. Moreover, I don't think too many Australians (players or spectators) get too ejaculative about the EEELs "tours" - they are realistic enough to see it as the sham it is.

B

Bluebull2007

Just watched the first test.

What a piss poor performance by the boks. After a good start, we just ended up playing negative rugby. Amazing that the Lions were the ones running the ball. We played they way they wanted us to play. Well done Lions, a sterling and passionate performance.

I have to agree with Blue. In fact compared to the last Bulls this was pathetic.

You cannot blame Rossouw for the decline in the game, you can blame the coach though. They dont know each others game as well at FdP & M Steyn.

WTF was Pieterse doing running accross the field in front of the Lions? Gets tackled, loses the ball to turnover and they are setup to attack from the 1/2 way line.

My knee jerk reaction is get rid of F Steyn Januarie or at least if youre going to play them put them together, they deserve each other. Smit should go too or at least be renegaded to the bench. He looked old and...well fat.

Well done to Bakkies what a game. Brossouw - what a brilliant 1st match.

Im going to calm down now and watch the game again tonight.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Congrats BB 2007, a win is a win.
BUT - the Bokke played good 10 man rugby for 40-50 mins, then switched off and suffered a Snor-induced period of substitution madness.
The Lions looked far more dangerous with ball in hand - their midfield carved, and I would give their 12 the MOM to be honest. Their forwards looked better with some changes too, especially the tighthead and hooker subs.
It could have gone either way, and may have, had Laurence not been so 1-directional at the scrums - I cannot believe that the Beast was never pinged for turning in, and Vickery was every time. Anyway, that's life. I'm sure others will have more to say about that.
Great game to watch as a neutral though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
I picked the F Steyn 60 m out ludicrous droppie attempt too, so was even happier!!

B

Bluebull2007

Thanks Cyclopath

Yeah Steyn and his F$%&_()')(_&%$#"#$%&_()')(_&%$#$%&_()'?ing drop kicks from 300m bullshit. How many of those does he ever get over? Smacks of being a gay glory boy to me. Where is the playing for the team come into that? He should maybe join bafana bafana. :angryfire:

If lambchops includes him in the team next week, it´ll be a good thing Im stuck in South America.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thomond78 said:
Biffo said:
Thomond78 said:

Not on the same level at all - nowhere near it. The 1989 EEELs were far, far worse. Calder's (the captain, mind you) cowardly kinghit on Nick Farr-Jones was among the worst acts I have seen on a rugby field - and I was pretty close to the action when Meads did Catchpole, so I have a valid frame of reference.

McRae's mild punching of O'Gara was retaliatory. The actions of the 1989 EEELs weren't.

Give it up, T78. The EEELs have a dreadful and long record.

Mild punching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo03wUG-gZ0 From the 25 second mark on. I make it 12 punches - over one a second - before his own team-mate hauls him off.

I repeat; turn it up.

Oh, and on 1989 - here's the Youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z2m6DgwQ4. I note that, contrary to legend, it was Nick Farr-Jones who threw the first one on Robert Jones.

So, from the learned lawyer from nowhere, the EEELs' retaliation against the (illusory to the legend from nowhere) initiation by Farr-Jones is OK, but the (real) retaliation by McRae isn't. Keep it up, T78, you are now up to laugh a minute. Want to make it per second?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm just going to come out and say it.

Beast didn't bind properly and was boring in. Bryce Lawrence gets it wrong again. Lions were rogered by a Ref who is not up to the standards of the Match

Nuf said

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But the Boks deserved to win in the end. Although the Lions came home stronger you just can't wait until the 50th minute to play footy and expect to come away with the win. The Boks simply took all of their chances to score points, while the Lions missed too many of theirs (Monye's two attempts, which were more the result of brilliant defence, and Phillips reach out).

At least now the Lions have found the key to beating the Boks- Roberts and BOD just shat all over JDV and Jacobs in midfield, the latter of whom I thought was very ordinary. If the Lions can improve their tactical kicking they should win the next game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agreed the front row senanigans were not all one way as Laurence saw it. That said, Vickery was poor, and the Lions immeasurably better once he (and the hooker) were changed. The hooker more so for the lineout improvement.
Lions midfield immense, that 12 Roberts is a real handful. He owned JdV, which surprised me a bit. PB might also be a bit surprised! ;)
Lions should be good enough to contest better next week. Win? On the veldt is never easy, but you never know.
Jacobs, F Steyn and Januarie (in his cameo) kak for mine. Can't believe the Bokke wouldn't use Pietersen and Habana, but I guess they would argue they didn't need them. Brossouw very good
Liked how they subbed Smit back on at the end with the front rower rule, as the Lions started to look like they might steal it.
Bokke deserved the win, but only just for me, and there is not much between these 2 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.