• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are people seriously talking about Beale at 10? The guy was in the plamaking position for our worst few months of backline creativeness in living memory. 1 fucking try per game. 1!!!

And we want him over Cooper or Lealiifano? o_O

Cooper was poor in the few tests he played in 2012 and is yet to show he is anywhere near his 2011 form. Lealiifano hasn't played a test nor is he playing 10 currently.

Whoever has played 10 in the last few years has looked best when more of our best players are fit and in the team. I'm sure our backline would have looked much better last year if Genia was at 9 and JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 regardless of who was playing 10.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Likely team for first game
1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Kane Douglass
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Higgenbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu

9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Sitaleki Timani
20. Michael Hooper
21. Nic White
22. Berrick Barnes
23. Jesse Mogg

Moore in the XV and taf on the bench, and I would be fecking stoked to see that lot run out

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Moore in the XV and taf on the bench, and I would be fecking stoked to see that lot run out
I want Moore in the XV as well, but this is Robbie Deans we are talking about. Not to say I don't understand - TPN is injury prone so you need to be able to have someone come on for him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Scott Allen has written this excellent piece regarding the Australian teams' lineout performance in the opening 2 rounds.........

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/brumbies-are-aussie-lineout-kings/

Firstly, it just boggles the mind as to why Deans favoured TPN over Moore last year....... it really does.......

Secondly, if Mowen keeps up with this current form, he should leap frog Higginbotham and Dennis for the 6 spot......

Not only for his work around the field (smashing rucks, strong ball carries, leadership qualities etc), but he's currently the best lineout operator in Australia both in attack and defence...... and god knows the Australian lineout will struggle without someone of his calibre.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Secondly, if Mowen keeps up with this current form, he should leap frog Higginbotham and Dennis for the 6 spot..

Absolutely. After two rounds of Super Rugby (one for Dennis), Mowen is well ahead.

The race for the Wallabies 6 jersey for the Lions Tour is a 5,000 metre race and they've only just finished the first couple of laps.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolutely. After two rounds of Super Rugby (one for Dennis), Mowen is well ahead.

The race for the Wallabies 6 jersey for the Lions Tour is a 5,000 metre race and they've only just finished the first couple of laps.

Indeed........

That's why I had to italicise the 'if'...... because there's still a long long way to go......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there is less to take from it than putting Horwill up on stage instead of Pocock. Pocock was the captain more recently and it is clearly a two horse race between the two of them.

If Horwill had been presented alongside Deans on stage despite not having played a test in 2012 (or a game yet in 2013), it would have been a sure sign that he would return as captain once fit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think there is less to take from it than putting Horwill up on stage instead of Pocock. Pocock was the captain more recently and it is clearly a two horse race between the two of them.

If Horwill had been presented alongside Deans on stage despite not having played a test in 2012 (or a game yet in 2013), it would have been a sure sign that he would return as captain once fit.

It's definitely a good ol' fishing article from Harris.......

But I think there would be some doubts floating around about Horwill's ability to lead the side after only playing one international season out of the past three.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But I think there would be some doubts floating around about Horwill's ability to lead the side after only playing one international season out of the past three...

Absolutely agreed. You'd have to be certain that his fitness and form were such that he was easily your first choice lock. Whilst that is still likely, other players have improved significantly in the time Horwill has been injured (Douglas, Carter, Pyle, Jones, Neville, Timani etc.) and we're yet to see Horwill take the field following a very long layoff.

He will have around 10 games of Super Rugby so Horwill will certainly have plenty of opportunity to find the form which made him one of our best players in 2011. He needs to stay fit once he comes back though. Even a few week injury after his comeback prior to the Lions series could really make his position tenuous.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree with you both on all points however, I've never really liked Pocock as captain. I think he plays his best footy when he only has to think of his job and I guess, well, I've always liked the Horwill type of leadership. Pocock seems to be more "actions speak louder than words" type captain, whereas Horwill is quite happy to put a rocket up the guys as well as lead with actions. But to do this - he needs to be fit. We don't want to play the Lions Tests with more than one captain.

In saying all of that though, I'm not sure who I'd have as captain if it weren't Pocock or Horwill.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Agreed Scoey, I think the wallabies need a captain who can fire a rocket at the team when needed.

Genia would be my pick as captain. Even when Horwill captain the reds, Genia does most of the talking in his vice captain role.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone think Lealiifano is at 12 for the Brumbies on request? Cooper seems to play better with a steadier outside him. I'll go Genia,Cooper,LL, with JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on Bench as backup if it doesnt work. A back three of Folau(few more games under his belt),Beale and Digby is exciting with JOC (James O'Connor) switching around.
The exciting thing is that for once there are no certainties in any position...and there will be some very good players who don't make it. Taps,Mccabe,Mitchell, etc. We shouldnt be debating Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10,there are better options there and why not give them more space to step and fly...New avatar was taken at training..theyre already bonding. :) .....without stillnox even

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why shouldn't we be debating Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10? Cooper hasn't produced anything close to his 2011 form and is still a liability in defence. Lilo is not currently playing at 10 and is uncapped. I highly doubt we are going to play a debutant at 10 in the first Lions test.

I think Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper are the three leading candidates to play 10 in the Lions tour, but I hardly think it is a fait accompli which one it will be.

I also think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is very likely to wear the 13 jersey. I can't see JOC (James O'Connor) being played there with no experience in the position.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Why shouldn't we be debating Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10? Cooper hasn't produced anything close to his 2011 form and is still a liability in defence. Lilo is not currently playing at 10 and is uncapped. I highly doubt we are going to play a debutant at 10 in the first Lions test.

I think Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper are the three leading candidates to play 10 in the Lions tour, but I hardly think it is a fait accompli which one it will be.

I also think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is very likely to wear the 13 jersey. I can't see JOC (James O'Connor) being played there with no experience in the position.

IMO JOC (James O'Connor) has always played his best rugby for the Wallabies at 14, when he started to get shifted around his performances tailed off a bit. Would you not be better leaving him there and picking from more "natural" players i.e. don't look to run every time, with enough tactical flexibility to allow JOC (James O'Connor) to come into first receiver on occasion?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IMO JOC (James O'Connor) has always played his best rugby for the Wallabies at 14, when he started to get shifted around his performances tailed off a bit. Would you not be better leaving him there and picking from more "natural" players i.e. don't look to run every time, with enough tactical flexibility to allow JOC (James O'Connor) to come into first receiver on occasion?

I agree completely.

I would pick him at 14 again. I don't think he should play 10 as his best rugby is when he runs with the ball, rather than setting up others.

Until he shows much better ability under the high ball, I don't think he should play fullback for the Wallabies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I agree completely.

I would pick him at 14 again. I don't think he should play 10 as his best rugby is when he runs with the ball, rather than setting up others.

Until he shows much better ability under the high ball, I don't think he should play fullback for the Wallabies.
So are we debating him at 10 or not. ? You've just backed up my thoughts I think....I agree with the space and running hence the reason i don't think we should have him at 10....and if thats the case why not 13.?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So are we debating him at 10 or not. ? You've just backed up my thoughts I think..I agree with the space and running hence the reason i don't think we should have him at 10..and if thats the case why not 13.?

I personally wouldn't pick JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 but plenty of people like that idea. I think 13 is a tricky position defensively so I wouldn't want to play an untested 13 against the Lions. I would definitely like to see JOC (James O'Connor) get time at 13 in Super Rugby

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

uno

Bob McCowan (2)
Put JOC (James O'Connor) at 14, if for no other reason than it will encourage wide ball movement, and like Digby he goes looking for work. Correct me if I am wrong, but did nt we win each test last year that QC (Quade Cooper) played in. There is simply no other contender for #10!!!! I'm nor just saying this as a QLDer! I promise.....

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Put JOC (James O'Connor) at 14, if for no other reason than it will encourage wide ball movement, and like Digby he goes looking for work. Correct me if I am wrong, but did nt we win each test last year that QC (Quade Cooper) played in. There is simply no other contender for #10!!!! I'm nor just saying this as a QLDer! I promise...
22 nil against the All Blacks anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.