• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Put JOC (James O'Connor) at 14, if for no other reason than it will encourage wide ball movement, and like Digby he goes looking for work. Correct me if I am wrong, but did nt we win each test last year that QC (Quade Cooper) played in. There is simply no other contender for #10!!!! I'm nor just saying this as a QLDer! I promise...

No we lost 0-22 in NZ and nearly lost to Argentina at home..

P

Paradox

No we lost 0-22 in NZ and nearly lost to Argentina at home..
Qwerty, hardly fair to blame Cooper for that. Forwards were smashed against NZ in that game and the one in Sydney was even worse and Cooper wasn't at 10 then from memory.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty, hardly fair to blame Cooper for that. Forwards were smashed against NZ in that game and the one in Sydney was even worse and Cooper wasn't at 10 then from memory.

I blame Cooper for nearly losing to Argentina at home. The worst international performance by a flyhalf ever. Just imploded. Intercepts, charge downs, forward passes, knock ons and missed tackles. The whole lot.

THEN he goes and rubbishes the whole team publicly. What a wanker.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I've been a Cooper fan, or was till his implosion last year, but WHAT performance are these performances he had in 2011? I thought his 2011 test performances ranged from adequate to diabolical. Super rugby, sure he played great, but test rugby?

I see signs of improvement, but in my opinion he has a long way to go in disproving the view he cracks under pressure.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah agree, he wasn't really a factor in the Brisbane win. Genia try first up, Samo solo try and then Genia, Digby, Beale try. His only decent input was kneeing McCaw.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Quade's positives: Long pass, takes on the line well, offloads well about 75% of the time
Quade's negatives: Falls off of important tackles, only fits in at 10, very binary (aka. is either great or awful)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Reds - Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Slipper, Tapuai, Ioane
Tahs - TPN, Robinson, Kepu, Palu, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Hooper, Timani
Brums - Moore, Alexander, Pocock, McCabe
Rebels - Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Higgers, Phipps
Force - MCCalman

1 to go

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also, might I say it is GREAT to see McCalman already threatening for a Lions spot. He was really good at 6 or 8 for us.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds - Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Slipper, Tapuai
Tahs - TPN, Robinson, Kepu, Palu, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Hooper, Timani
Force - MCCalman

That's 23
add Digby and a second Scrum half and your down to 1 spot

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
With the top up players only:
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Timani
5. Horwill
6. McCalman
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

Not bad. Only two locks in there though.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
With the amount of changes Deans is likely to make you only need to add Digby, Phipps and Dennis and your 25 is complete.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Reds - Cooper, Genia, Horwill, Slipper, Tapuai, Ioane
Force - MCCalman

1 to go

I think he will take White instead of Phipps. He should take Mowen instead of McCalman, and Palmer instead of Slipper or Kepu.

He also needs a third lock either Douglas or Pyle.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I think he will take White instead of Phipps. He should take Mowen instead of McCalman, and Palmer instead of Slipper or Kepu.

He also needs a third lock either Douglas or Pyle.

My theory in selecting these players is that they are taking 25 players. This is the number reported to be on ARU top ups so am assuming the franchises will accept the release of these players only. So while White would be my number 2 as well, Phipps has been on the international scene for a couple of years so i am guessing he is recieving a top up and White probably won't be until his next contract.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Jim Tucker has written an interesting article today on the Tour Games for the Lions tour.
He says that there has always been concern (from the UK) that we don't have the ability to field strong enough provincial teams to justify the 9-game tour.
The provincial teams have been seriously impacted by withdrawing the key Wallabies the Tour games but he also raises the point that with our poor recent U20 results the ARU may also look at resting their U20 stars from the tour games as well as the junior champs are on in June also. The two that he mention specifically are CFS and Browning from the Reds.
The article infers that the ARU does not care about what the Lions hierarchy thinks and that wining the tests is our no 1 priority but that would be pretty short sighted if its our only priority.
With the money being generated by the extra tour games the ARU need to ensure that the provincial teams are at least competitive.
Quite the dilly of a pickle for the ARU!

Article here: http://couriermail.com.au/sport/rug...-and-irish-lions/story-fn8thfi7-1226588013687

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Stephen Ferris is officially out of the reckoning for the Lions. Huge blow as when he is fit I don’t think any 6 in the Northern Hemisphere comes close to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.