• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Lilo has a great season prior to the Lions I think he is definitely a chance at 12. He is a pretty complete player. He will need to be a star in Super Rugby though. He's not going to make it just on being pretty good. He has to shine above the incumbents.

Hopefully that does happen as I think he will add a lot to the backline. I think Beale has one hand on the 10 jersey and someone else (Cooper) will need to be amazing to take that away from him.

I think there is the potential that you could see a backline of:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

The biggest benefit of that backline is that there are essentially four players who can comfortably jump in to first receiver (Beale, Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes). It could really be a dynamic Wallaby backline.

I think Genia and JOC (James O'Connor) are the only backline players missing with injury last year that Deans will be eager to slot back into his side. I think Beale, Ioane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Barnes are definitely in the box seat to hang onto their spots.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Lilo is selected my money is as a 10. That's where he was at his best last year and while its early days, other 12 options are better.

P

Paradox

I think there is the potential that you could see a backline of:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

I don't see Barnes as a regular 15 but he was solid last year for Ws at 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I thought his games at 15 were amongst the most consistent we've seen in the last couple of years (since Beale was about the form fullback in the world in 2010).

He is definitely a safety first option but he is excellent at those things. Arguably his last line defence is the best we could put on the park and he has shown himself to be better under the high ball than any other 15 option. I think there is a good chance he will play there again this year.

If Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and potentially Lilo are also in the side, we're not short on play making options in the backline.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The France game, for all the hell it was worth, showed just what structure he can bring to a broken backline. Anyone who can stomach watching it again should watch the difference between before and after Barnes comes on.

P

Paradox

You aren't going to pick a rookie 10 in a Lions series. Unless there are two or three injuries.

There are plenty of the posts where we discuss whom we think will get picked at 10. I don't think anyone has selected a rookie (you're talking about Lilo/Foley right?). I suspect Deans will not select QC (Quade Cooper) regardless of his form. Therefore we have Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), and Beale to select from. Only JOC (James O'Connor) is a top draw passer of those three and probably the only one who plays flat consistently. We've seen 2 games with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 for the Ws so he could be considered a rookie at 10. Can Barnes or Beale ignite a backline?? Haven't really seen it yet.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We don't know the full extent of the Quade-ARU debacle. I wouldn't be shocked if he was left out, nor would I if he was included.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) will be excluded based on what happened last year. I just think he needs to elevate himself as clearly the best option to get the nod.

He clearly has a weakness in his defensive game, especially compared to the other candidates. To overcome that he needs to be head and shoulders above the rest in attack.

Personally I think Beale will get the nod with consistent play in Super Rugby this year. He's definitely in the box seat.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) will be excluded based on what happened last year. I just think he needs to elevate himself as clearly the best option to get the nod.

He clearly has a weakness in his defensive game, especially compared to the other candidates. To overcome that he needs to be head and shoulders above the rest in attack.

Personally I think Beale will get the nod with consistent play in Super Rugby this year. He's definitely in the box seat.

The problem is that Beale probably isn't even the best fly half at the Rebels.........

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Furry muff! Which parts of his game at 10 do you feel are superior to that of JOCs?
His playmaking. I'd argue their kicking games are much of a muchness, as is their offloading. JOC (James O'Connor) is a better runner in tight and has a better long-passing game, but I don't feel he brings his teammates into the game as much as Beale does. Beale isn't at 100% right now, no point denying that. JOC (James O'Connor) is definitely in better form than he is. That doesn't mean he's a better flyhalf than Beale though, even if Beale is crabbing far more than he should at the moment.

P

Paradox

His playmaking. I'd argue their kicking games are much of a muchness, as is their offloading. JOC (James O'Connor) is a better runner in tight and has a better long-passing game, but I don't feel he brings his teammates into the game as much as Beale does. Beale isn't at 100% right now, no point denying that. JOC (James O'Connor) is definitely in better form than he is. That doesn't mean he's a better flyhalf than Beale though, even if Beale is crabbing far more than he should at the moment.

I'd give JOC (James O'Connor) the edge in kicking and offloading (and defense). Sounds like you think he can't bring players onto the ball as well of Beale but I think he showed he could do that at the Force. Anyway, Beale is in the driving seat as he's the incumbent. It's his to lose. I think Deans saw JOC (James O'Connor) as the replacement for Quade post WC but obviously injury prevented him playing in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.