• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
They priced the Super rugby games very fairly I reckon. I was expecting to pay up to $75 for those.

Totally agree but even with those prices wasn’t sure if the public allocation would sell out, let alone in 90 minutes!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
How do ticket sellers on E bay get to sell these tickets at outrageous prices?
for example
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Briti...30931243079?pt=AU_Tickets&hash=item35c4932047

we are all well aware this is above $ for ticket and the seller cannot produce the item until May. his E Bay name is "RareticketsAustralia".

If you favour a bit of vigilante justice, just keep bidding higher and higher on these tickets and then refuse to pay.

Report the seller after the auction closes.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The amount of tickets on E Bay is unbelievable already, I have "reported" quite a few. Not sure if it does any good.

Good stuff. They have breached the sale of the ticket so the sale should be void. I guess that would mean they go back on the market through ticketek.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
They should go back on the market to real fans, but also if you became a member of your super 15 side you get the chance to get tickets before the general sale. I got sydney test tickets back in December and Tahs ticket comes with membership, I then got Newcastle tickets in Jan this year then Canberra and Melbourne tickets a few weeks ago.
So no members should miss out on tickets to any game.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree Gunner. It boils my blood seeing scalpers profit handsomely on our love of the game. Shitheads. I have many times considered trying to sabotage their eBay auctions somehow but never have I come up with a decent plan.

With the amount of pre-sale opportunities to big events these days though it is easy enough to get tickets without the stress. But you have to be organised early and do your homework. I bought 2 tix to the Wallabies in Brisbane and a block of 7 to the Reds game in Brisbane with no trouble in the MyRugby pre-sale. I really feel for those that miss out but. Especially when you see them on eBay going to 2-3 times the retail price.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
The auction ones are easy to mess up, we all make a "fake account" and keep bidding till the end to inflate the prices sky high.
The buy now options not much we can do, they will just relist the tickets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have long been interested in the issue of scalping as an avid music fan and attendee at many concerts.

The scalping issue is a complex one and generally not as big an issue as people make it out to be. The reality is that only a small percentage of the overall number of tickets end up being scalped.

Scalping is absolutely against the terms and conditions of the ticket sale and if the promoter manages to track down which tickets are being scalped they will cancel them and put them back on sale again. In most states however, it is not actually an illegal practice (I believe Queensland is about the only state where that is the case) and as such, eBay generally won't do anything about it. Nor should they really be expected to. They are really just a conduit service for putting sellers and buyers in contact.

Unfortuantely it is hard to eliminate scalping altogether as people will always buy scalped tickets because they are desperate and people will always try and profiteer whenever there is an item where demand exceeds supply. All the anti-scalping mechanisms that have been trialled and/or adopted by ticket sellers to music events including putting names and dates of birth on tickets just ends up costing the average punter more money because these things require upgrades to IT systems as well as many additional staff at the venues to handle the slower processing of tickets upon entry.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I had thought of that GunnerDownUnder but if I'd ever sent the price shy high and wasn't the winning bidder then all I would've achieved is making some poor bugger pay even more than they had to for the tickets.

Braveheart81 is probably right, the percentage of tickets is probably very small. I would like to think though that some of them got busted and had their tickets cancelled before they could sell them on. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The rage against scalpers is really misguided anger. People miss out on tickets and then see tickets on eBay and make the instant connection that if it wasn't for the scalpers they would have got tickets.

The reality is that when events sell out this quickly, thousand and thousands of legitimate fans miss out on tickets. If there had been absolutely no scalpers, almost all of those people would have still missed out.

Don't get me wrong, scalpers are deplorable human beings, but getting rid of the issue altogether is very difficult and potentially causes more problems than it solves.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You have to direct your anger somewhere. It's either directed at bad luck or some anonymous e-villain on eBay. Far easier to direct it at a person, anonymous or not. ;)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Even if you tie tickets to passport numbers etc someone who wants to be at the game will pay a scalper for the ticket and hope they don't get checked (I was in this position at the last soccer Euro Championships so can relate to how people will pay what it takes), unfortunately it is just part of sport these days.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
On a related side note, I was a young fella last ime the lions came to town and lived in Kalgoorlie so I can say oblivious. This is my first. I am amazed that people would be willing to spend so much! I have only followed rugby for a few years and have been a member of the Rebels for a couple of years. I got my tickets this way. CHEAPLY
Who is willing to pay so much but not be a fan of the game in general? Who is willing to pay so much but not be a member of a club?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Some presales went pretty quickly to Jermano, being a member, etc gives you a jump on things but still no guarantee.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who is willing to pay so much but not be a fan of the game in general? Who is willing to pay so much but not be a member of a club?

It's an iconic sporting event.

The same people who'd go to a football world cup despite never going to an A-League game or someone who goes to the Olympics despite having no real interest in athletics or similar.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
A couple of mates at work who are AFL diehards from the Southern States bought tickets to the Lions vs. Tahs and Wallabies just because they want to experience the Lions events. They commented that it was on their bucket list.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
In most states however, it is not actually an illegal practice (I believe Queensland is about the only state where that is the case) and as such, eBay generally won't do anything about it. Nor should they really be expected to. They are really just a conduit service for putting sellers and buyers in contact.

Unfortuantely it is hard to eliminate scalping altogether as people will always buy scalped tickets because they are desperate and people will always try and profiteer whenever there is an item where demand exceeds supply.

Victoria also forbids scalping on 'declared events' which are major events that qualify under a series of criteria. The AFL Grand Final is the only permanent DE but I believe the Lions Tour is one for this year.

It's always going to be hard, but there are always more measures you can take. I did find it interesting that you could get 4 test tickets and 8 tour game tickets in the presale for each game. Two per person or one family ticket should be enough so that the system is harder to take advantage of.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Somehow got 2 tickets to the Sydney test for my brother and I in the public sale. Absolutely fucking stoked. Just booked flights, first time travelling anywhere other than QLD for a Rugby game. Very very keen.

Some people say that these tests are over priced, I disagree. In fact given the demand for tix they are arguably underpriced. I'm a 17 year old student working part time for under 20 an hour and I still found the money by saving for a year to pay for both me and my brother (it's a christmas present) to head down to Sydney for the weekend. Bring on July!

Status
Not open for further replies.