• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm honestly think ARU have taken the sensible apporach here. I'll concede that as a Reds fan, this decision doesnt have the potential to effect our Super campaign in the way it could for Tahs and Brumbies, but the general idea is fine. Allow some time for recuperation after 3 months of intensive rugby, get the core team training together early, and hopefully prevent injuries to key players weeks out from the start of the series. The fact that the plebs on the Planet Rugby forums crying foul over this decision (because they see it as affecting the Lions' build up by playing B teams) suggests it's the right decision.

I hope the ARU stands by its word and takes Log position into account when considering whether to release players. I think the Brumbies will be fighting for a position (probably a home final) at that time, so I think its important that they have a strong team for that game. At the same time guys like Pocock and Moore are very important to the Wallabies' chances in June. One interesting interpretation of the ARU's comments is that players in teams vying for a finals spot will be allowed to play but teams not in contention will not be given the same luxury. It would be controversial if for instance the Brumbies' Wallabies were all allowed to play but Higgers, Beale and O'Connor were all pulled from the Rebels, thus tipping the scales in favour of the Brumbies. Just a thought

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's the right decision for the ARU to take with respect to giving Aus the best chance of winning the series. It may or may not impact future tours. I think by the time the Lions hit Aus again in 12 years time it will be a much shortened in country tour with maybe more warm up games played prior to arriving in Aus. As the game grows in other countries it's possible that it may be longer than 12 years until the next Lions tour of Aus. However those are decisions for the Lions to take and the ARU need to focus on what they can control, for the most part that's putting themselves in the best position to secure a series win.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
As long as they do it right, has to be fair on the whole competition. If the team in contention and gets there players for the fixture their opposition should have the right to play there Wallabies players as well and make sure the match is not gifted to the team.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought about this for a while, this is the best 23 the Lions could come up with if picked now (will it be 23 or 22?)

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Parling
6. Wood
7. Robshaw (c)
8. Faletau
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. North
12. O'Driscoll
13. Tuilagi
14. Visser
15. Halfpenny

16. Hibbard
17. Jenkins
18. Jones
19. Gray
20. O'Brien
21. Phillips
22. Farrell
23. Kearney

found the locks and 2nd winger the hardest to pick

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Thought about this for a while, this is the best 23 the Lions could come up with if picked now (will it be 23 or 22?)

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Parling
6. Wood
7. Robshaw (c)
8. Faletau
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. North
12. O'Driscoll
13. Tuilagi
14. Visser
15. Halfpenny

16. Hibbard
17. Jenkins
18. Jones
19. Gray
20. O'Brien
21. Phillips
22. Farrell
23. Kearney

found the locks and 2nd winger the hardest to pick

Flood over Farrell for #22. Flood's tackling is fine and with O'Driscoll next to him I can't picture defense in those two channels being a huge issue for the Lions. Halfpenny is a better place kicker than Farrel so unless HP gets injured there's really no reason to have a one-dimensional #10 like Farrell in the squad as opposed to a guy who is really a threat with the ball in hand and could open the game up in the last 20 minutes.

I'd really like to see Freddie Burns sneak a seat to play #10 during the midweek matches but I can only dream.

If Tommy Bowe can get healthy and prove himself in time it will definitely heat up the competition for the second wing position.

For the locks, I think you nailed it honestly. Parling is looking to be head and shoulders above all the other line-out generals in Europe right now and Launchbury has just been absolutely spectacular this year.

I don't know about Faletau at 8, he's been pretty quiet this year for Wales and for his region. I'd really like to see Armitage given a shot in the #7 shirt. He's been playing spectacular rugby for Toulon for a good while now and I think he's really gotten snubbed by the English selectors recently. I think #6 Robshaw, #7 Armitage, #8 Wood would make for a pretty reliable back row.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Probably hard to speculate on the 23 at this stage, you could probably make a decent guess at the squad

LH: Healy, Jenkins, Vunipola
Hookers: Best, Hibbard, Youngs
TH: Cole, Jones, Murray
Locks: Ryan, Parling, Gray, AWJ, Launchbery
Flankers: SOB, Robshaw, Tipuric, Wood
no 8: Faletu, Heaslip
Scrum Half: Phillips, Youngs, Care
10: Sexton, Farrell, Wilko
Centres: BOD, Manu the ferry jumper, Davies, Roberts
Wings: Gilroy, Maitland, North, Halfpenny
FB, Kearney, Hogg

10 Welsh
12 English
9 Irish
4 Scots

Obviously previous Lions test experience tips the scales in the favour of Jenkins, Heaslip, Phillips, Wilko, Roberts and Kearney. Gatland I think will add a lot of emphasis on this I think.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Because he's been shit for the last five years give or take.

Yep D'Arcy has been really poor the last 5-6 years and shouldn't have been picked for Ireland as there have been better options. This season however he rediscovered his form in a big way but then got injured.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think the Lions 23 should be

1, Grant
2, Hibberd
3, Jones
4, Hines
5, Parling
6, Croft
7, Robshaw
8, Heaslip
9, Youngs
10, Farrell
11, Visser
12, Tuilagi
13, BOD
14, North
15, Halfpenny

16, Hartley
17, Jenkins
18, Euan Murray
19, AWJ
20, Wood
21, Phillips
22, Hook
23, Goode.

Additional squad members (12): Marler, Youngs, Cole, Launchbery, Hamilton, Powell, Warburton, Care, Cipriani, Henson, Ashton and Delon Armitage.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the Lions 23 should be

1, Grant
2, Hibberd
3, Jones
4, Hines
5, Parling
6, Croft
7, Robshaw
8, Heaslip
9, Youngs
10, Farrell
11, Visser
12, Tuilagi
13, BOD
14, North
15, Halfpenny

16, Hartley
17, Jenkins
18, Euan Murray
19, AWJ
20, Wood
21, Phillips
22, Hook
23, Goode.

Additional squad members (12): Marler, Youngs, Cole, Launchbery, Hamilton, Powell, Warburton, Care, Cipriani, Henson, Ashton and Delon Armitage.

I sense a pattern developing here, your not a fan of Irish players getting on the Lions tour are you :)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I sense a pattern developing here, your not a fan of Irish players getting on the Lions tour are you :)
What gives you that impression. I have included Heaslip and BOD. Reading comments comparing Healy to Gary Glitter I wonder whether he might not be better missing out on it. If POC is half fit Fatland will want to take him and I hope Paulie tells him to fuck off!!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
What gives you that impression. I have included Heaslip and BOD. Reading comments comparing Healy to Gary Glitter I wonder whether he might not be better missing out on it. If POC is half fit Fatland will want to take him and I hope Paulie tells him to fuck off!!!

Where you not saying on MF that you'd prefer Irish players not to go? Was purely in jest!

Has POC not already ruled himself out of the tour? Ireland and Munster really miss him there is no way I'd want him on the tour

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Where you not saying on MF that you'd prefer Irish players not to go? Was purely in jest!

Has POC not already ruled himself out of the tour? Ireland and Munster really miss him there is no way I'd want him on the tour
BOD wants to finish his career playing for the lions and he can do what he wants, he owes Irish rugby precisely feck all. Heaslip was a bit of a wind up to be honest but I would be really pleased if there were no Irish lads on the Lions. I just do not think our miniscule player pool can take it and we should not be involved. I would be sorry if that upset the large Irish diaspora in the southern hemisphere, but why can we not organise proper home and away series between nations rather than this Murdoch franchise?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
BOD wants to finish his career playing for the lions and he can do what he wants, he owes Irish rugby precisely feck all. Heaslip was a bit of a wind up to be honest but I would be really pleased if there were no Irish lads on the Lions. I just do not think our miniscule player pool can take it and we should not be involved. I would be sorry if that upset the large Irish diaspora in the southern hemisphere, but why can we not organise proper home and away series between nations rather than this Murdoch franchise?

I agree that we should have proper home and away tours, although in saying that I think that the USA/Canada tour comes at a good time for Ireland. A new coach can look at a variety of players on a low pressure tour.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Heaslip shouldn't be the starting 8 for the Lions anyway, unless he improves hugely the only reason he will get a plane seat is because France is hogging all of the #8 talent in the NH right now (unless Denton re-attaches his bulldozer component). I'd happily start Wood, Faletau, Beattie, etc over Heaslip right now.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Heaslip shouldn't be the starting 8 for the Lions anyway, unless he improves hugely the only reason he will get a plane seat is because France is hogging all of the #8 talent in the NH right now (unless Denton re-attaches his bulldozer component). I'd happily start Wood, Faletau, Beattie, etc over Heaslip right now.
I agree with you, I only included Heaps in my squad because of JSRF10's avatar. I actually think he would be better off having a full summer off at home like all the other Irish players. Heaslip has been consistently poor for Ireland since the last lions tour like the other Irish lads on that tour. Hopefully the English and welsh can do the work on this tour for a change.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

Sadly I don't think he has specifically ruled himself out, I wish he would!!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Heaslip has had two good games and one poor one, its his captaincy that has been really poor in the 6 nations. I think he'll tour but I don't think the Fat Man will have him in his test squad.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Heaslip has had two good games and one poor one, its his captaincy that has been really poor in the 6 nations. I think he'll tour but I don't think the Fat Man will have him in his test squad.
I have been disappointed by Heaslip's captaincy because I felt he did really well in the AIs and seemed to foster a really positive attitude within the squad. I do wonder whether his public image doesn't mask some quite profound insecurities because his body language and mannerisms when he is interviewed are strange to say the least!!

Status
Not open for further replies.