• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
No articles from 2009.

I have contacts in the UK and in Ireland.
Well don't know where they would be getting that information from. I am a massive Munster and Ireland fan, let alone think Paul O'Connell has been one of the best locks of the last decade but can not pick him unless he gets MOTM in Munster's Heineken Cup QF. He has barely played any rugby this year and with the amount of games on the tour I doubt he will be ready for it.

P

Paradox

Well don't know where they would be getting that information from. I am a massive Munster and Ireland fan, let alone think Paul O'Connell has been one of the best locks of the last decade but can not pick him unless he gets MOTM in Munster's Heineken Cup QF. He has barely played any rugby this year and with the amount of games on the tour I doubt he will be ready for it.
I reckon POC is on his last legs - he's been great. Kevin, are you living in Oz or Eire?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sam might have just booked his flights to Australia in June, now next week will be even more interesting when he is lined up against Robshaw

Laidlaw has to be a bolter for the 9 jersey, has been playing pretty well and his place kicking is very good.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Sam might have just booked his flights to Australia in June, now next week will be even more interesting when he is lined up against Robshaw

Played well destructively, he totally dominated the Scots backrow at the breakdown but not too much offensive work to shout about.
With Ryan injured, I'd go for Warburton and Tipuric on the flanks next week. With England not really having a genuine openside it could be interesting to see how they get on.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
"If it comes down to a tight ball, the likelihood is we will look to hang our hat on something of substance. If the defining point of difference is in a challenging cauldron they have performed, that could be the tipping point,'' Deans said.

This was very funny but looking back after the Tahs game last night it is just scary. There dominance in Wallabies selections looks likely to continue despite consistent under-performance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
5 players announced for the Barbarians game already

Jaque Fourie, Sergio Parisse, Imanol Harinordoquy, Martin Castrogiavvi and Kahn Fotuali'i. Geez I hope they maintain the quality, will be a great game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sad to see it confirmed that Pocock will definitely miss the Lions tour. Some people up here might be rejoicing at the fact that Australia's best player won't be there, but for me the Lions is all about pitting the best we have against the best in the nation to be toured.

Will be a poorer contest without him there. Here's hoping there won't be anymore serious injuries on either side before the 1st test match, or indeed during the series itself.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whilst he is our best 7 there's not that much despair here, Gill has been absolutely outstanding and we all know what Hooper did in Tests last year. We don't lose much.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Hooper was superb against Wales last year, so while losing Pocock is a blow I don't think too many Lions supporters will be getting ahead of themselves.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whilst he is our best 7 there's not that much despair here, Gill has been absolutely outstanding and we all know what Hooper did in Tests last year. We don't lose much.

Australia don't lose much but the Lions tour does. Agree that Hooper and Gill are very good replacements to have, plus George Smith may put his hand up for a spot by tour time. However Pocock missing out on what for him is a once in a career tour is a big miss for him and the concept of the Lions tour.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Oz (Melbourne), agree his on his last legs. Think he will do well to even get back for the HC
Part of the Munster A squad on Tuesday in the UL bowl, his comment was along the lines of great to start his comeback in front of a load of pissed students!?! Paulie is back in plenty of time for the HC QF touchwood, he should not be anywhere near the Lions but if he is half fit Fat head will take him, I hope he tells them to feck off.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My intention wasn't to start speculation and I definitely think there will be ample changes made due to injuries and form prior to when the protected list is picked but I'd guess:

Props (1-3): Robbo, Alexander, Slipper
Hookers (4-5): Moore, TPN
Locks (6-8): Horwill, Douglas, Pyle/Simmons/Timani
Backrow (9-13): Palu, Pocock, Hooper, Higginbotham, Mowen or Dennis
HB (14): Genia
5/8 (15-18): Cooper, Beale, O'Connor, Lealiifano
Centres (19-21): Tapuai, McCabe, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Wing (22-24): Ioane, Mitchell, Tomane/Shipperley/Cummins
FB (25): Barnes

That would be my guess on a likely 25 protected players. There will obviously be some changes with players showing irresistable form and definitely some injuries but I think the players picked will be largely based on the consistent 2012 test players plus the injured superstars.

Braveheart, suggest you do the maths. 9 Waratahs in the initial 25 squad and 6 more players to be added after the Force v Waratahs match. There won't be 6 Force players added, so do you expect another <6 Tahs? I know Deans can be relied on to pull some nonsensical rabbit out of the hat, but I don't believe even he will have so many Tahs in the final group this year. After all, his future depends on winning the Lions series, doesn't it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart, suggest you do the maths. 9 Waratahs in the initial 25 squad and 6 more players to be added after the Force v Waratahs match. There won't be 6 Force players added, so do you expect another <6 Tahs? I know Deans can be relied on to pull some nonsensical rabbit out of the hat, but I don't believe even he will have so many Tahs in the final group this year. After all, his future depends on winning the Lions series, doesn't it?

The 25 'protected players' aren't going to be allowed to play in the whole round over the weekend of 7th-9th of June. That includes the Brumbies vs Rebels on Friday night, Reds vs B&I Lions on Saturday night and Force vs Waratahs on the Sunday.

6 more players who were allowed to play over the course of that weekend will be added to the squad on the Sunday night (after the Force vs Waratahs game). Those 6 players will come from all five teams.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I wouldn''t say that Warburton has booked his place, he did look like he was coming into form against the Scots another good performance and he is right in the mix. The back row is very competitive, SOB and Heaslip looked very good for Ireland. Haven't seen any of the England game so can't comment there.

I hope to god that POC isn't picked but I'd agree with Plastic Paddy if he plays well in the Heineken Cup QF he is in, quality locks is something that the Lions are short on. The majority of the locks are much of the same quality wise and potentially losing Gray is a blow

Losing Pocock is a blow to Aus but in fairness it is one of the few positions where you have real world class depth. Gutted for him that he'll miss the series but the Wallabies should be able to cope

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Unfortunately Murray played himself onto the plane against France, a terrific performance from just the sort of 9 that Fat Head loves. His protection of his young half back partner was nearly French in its execution, his box kicking was spot on. Anyway, off to crunch numbers for Cheltenham, Rugby takes a back seat this week.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Reports in the Irish papers yesterday said that Ross, after the Ireland England game, was told by Graham Rowntree that he'd be going on the tour.
Obviously we have to take it at face value but, if true this means the tightheads are Ross, Cole and Jones I'd assume
Is Ross even fit? He was pedestrian against France and that's being kind. I'm not sure his scrummaging was up to par in the second half either - he looked like he was packing down too high and letting the French loosehead get underneath him.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Ross even fit? He was pedestrian against France and that's being kind. I'm not sure his scrummaging was up to par in the second half either - he looked like he was packing down too high and letting the French loosehead get underneath him.

He has been flogged by Kidney since he broke into the team, he isn't an 80 minute prop but which tight heads are?
He has come on top against the Welsh and English scrums this year and was 50:50 against the Scots not a bad return at all, also in the World Cup he dismantled the Aussie scrum not something Wales or England managed in the last year. With my Ireland hat on I wouldn't want him touring but I can see why Gatland would bring him

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
According to the people on the ground (ie on twitter), POC was very impressive in his comeback for Munster A today. I'd say if he shows any bit of form Gatland will pick him.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Noticed today in the Brisbane Queen St Mall Sports stores that the Lions jerseys are $119, while their adidas training ones are $80.

Adidas must've worked out they can only charge that much or people would buy them in the UK or have mates bring one over on the plane.

Did make me wonder if many more Wallabies jerseys would be sold if they were priced that low instead of $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.