• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In a perverse kind of way it does.

A person is judged to have committed an offense if evidence is brought by the state before a judge or jury and they determine an offence to have been committed. Without a judgment you don't have an offence.

Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman were both still murdered even though OJ Simpson was acquitted of their murders.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nicole Brown Simpson & Ron Goldman were both still murdered even though OJ Simpson was acquitted of their murders.

Yeah well he probably killed them but he didn't commit an offense, being a legal term. Quite the contrary, he was adjudged not to have.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It depends what type of charges he is on. Other than been on the complete opposite side of the criminal spectrum, the OJ one the court had to prove he was guilty (which unbelievably history shows the court didn't), whereas OJ didn't have to prove anything. Hunt depending on the charges might have to prove he isn't, which means the police don't necessarily need to show evidence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, Derpus' wording changed from one post to the next.

I was responding to him saying that if no one is convicted then an offence hasn't occurred which is incorrect.

His latter post changed that from to the offence being committed by that person.

Let's say the police found cocaine on the ground next to Hunt and his acquaintance. Let's say they are both found not guilty of possession of a controlled substance. It doesn't mean that neither of them ever possessed that controlled substance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I was responding to him saying that if no one is convicted then an offence hasn't occurred which is incorrect.

His latter post changed that from to the offence being committed by that person.

Let's say the police found cocaine on the ground next to Hunt and his acquaintance. Let's say they are both found not guilty of possession of a controlled substance. It doesn't mean that neither of them ever possessed that controlled substance.

and it doesn't mean that cocaine in a plastic bag is a naturally occurring substance in the Valley in summer time. someone committed an offence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But I wonder who did it. OJ was acquitted

If_I_Did_It.jpg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Hunt depending on the charges might have to prove he isn't, which means the police don't necessarily need to show evidence.

That's not how the law in this country works at all. Hunt and his lawyers could literally say or present nothing to the court and he could still walk out the door free. It's up the the Crown/DPP to prove the Hunt has broken the law. Hunt in our society is currently innocent of this crime. Hunt's lawyer has done nothing wrong but keeping quiet. Society is more than happy to shit on the rule of law, up until it happens to them.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
In a perverse kind of way it does.

A person is judged to have committed an offense if evidence is brought by the state before a judge or jury and they determine an offence to have been committed. Without a judgment you don't have an offence.

We've all heard the saying 'you aren't breaking the law unless you get caught'.

So if I walked up behind you in a dark alley with no CCTV or witnesses and stab you and you dont see me either then I have not committed an offence? There would be no witnesses to provide sufficient evidence to proceed with charges to get a conviction but I have still commited a crime. Big difference between what can be proven and what has occurred. Many serial sex offenders only get charged with one or two offences because these are the only ones with sufficient evidence even though they have offended on multiple occasions.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Haven't you still committed an offence? The law requires evidence to charge someone for committing an offence, but not having sufficient evidence doesn't mean no offence was committed - imo.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Haven't you still committed an offence? The law requires evidence to charge someone for committing an offence, but not having sufficient evidence doesn't mean no offence was committed - imo.

Actually the Police can lay a charge without any real evidence. Happens often. Thankfully the Court requires a higher standard, that is, some real evidence not just the word (verbal or written) of a copper to convict. In Queensland prior to the Fitzgerald Enquiry plenty of "innocents" were found guilty by the Courts simply because of a grubby police strategy, called "verballing"

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Actually the Police can lay a charge without any real evidence. Happens often. Thankfully the Court requires a higher standard, that is, some real evidence not just the word (verbal or written) of a copper to convict. In Queensland prior to the Fitzgerald Enquiry plenty of "innocents" were found guilty by the Courts simply because of a grubby police strategy, called "verballing"

Those were the days

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Fair, i meant for the subject to be the person from the start.

Though, i'd still question whether an offence has been committed if they just found a bag on the ground. The facts would never have been weighed by the judiciary if the police never had anyone to charge for the purported offence. As Scrubber points out above, a copper can't just say an offence has been committed and it is so. We don't afford them that power.

i guess this is off topic though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Even f Hunt squeezes out of the charge before a Judge I think it is reasonable to say "where there is smoke ..."

He certainly has brought the game into disrepute (again) and on the balance of probability the bloke is a "user".

IF the Reds can get rid of the bloke, then they should do it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Must be an amazing area, to have bags of coke littering the streets for unsuspecting innocent bystanders to get caught standing in close proximity to

Status
Not open for further replies.