• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
not that we are assured a top 6 by any means but isnt Faleafa leaving before the end of the season? Surely Harris has done enough to earn a shot, would be nice to another Randwick Junior who played three years in first grade colts given a go anyway.
Given the reggies dominance on Saturday a few of those guys like Harris would surely be getting a mention at the selection table. Backs and forwards were outstanding in that first 40.

pstoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
not that we are assured a top 6 by any means but isnt Faleafa leaving before the end of the season? Surely Harris has done enough to earn a shot, would be nice to another Randwick Junior who played three years in first grade colts given a go anyway.

Agree completely but having credibility and form from Colts seems to count for little with Kelly. Jesse has the physicality that Hanigan does not. If not starting he should have been brought off the bench. He was not even on the bench ! Likewise with Baldwin, in the last two games, TC had brilliant games but literally ran himself to a standstill. Where were the t tactical subs with such impact players as Jesse and Baldwin available? In the last 2 games we have lacked ball carriers...... Am I missing a tactical brain cell here?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not sure that Ethan Ford is a 5/8 only time will tell. Good to see Jesse Harris getting a go. Maybe I should start campaigning for Pat Hodgetts on here now to!

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Where is Faleafa heading?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Give him a couple of seasons to physically mature and he will probably get there. He has the makings of a damn fine footballer.

2013 Oz Schools player Hanigan should not be playing second row in First Grade. His best position in senior rugby will be at 6. He started last season playing 8 for Joeys and was a standout until he got injured.

Kellaway was the best Australian schools player last year. He will be playing Super Rugby very soon because he plays "old", does the things we saw last week and is hard to bring to ground when stopped, or even to stop when grabbed.

There's a whiff of Tim Horan about him. I'm not sure what position he will play permanently. He was a fullback and wing at school (and briefly a 10) but I would like to see him play more at outside centre.

Watch this space on AK (Andrew Kellaway): it will be good watching.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He seemed very comfortable in contact against the big boys didn't he?
I see him as a wing,as he is reluctant to pass until all his options have expired.
He'll get plenty of opportunities to counter on the wing,and he is very good in broken play.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree Lee the kid can play (kellaway) , for his own development Hanigan should now play the rest of the year in colts. ultimately he can take a bit from his experience and hopefully it drives him to a big off season

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Lee the kid can play (kellaway) , for his own development Hanigan should now play the rest of the year in colts. ultimately he can take a bit from his experience and hopefully it drives him to a big off season

It will be interesting to see how much game time Kellaway gets in the U20 World Championship and how (and where) he plays when he returns. I suspect he could play anywhere in the backs except 9.

Bit strange that Hanigan goes from 1st Colts (2 games?) into 1st grade for 5 games and then back to 1st Colts. Maybe they were waiting for Eden-Whaitiri to arrive / be fit.

Anyone know when Bill Meakes is supposed to arrive from the UK?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure that Ethan Ford is a 5/8 only time will tell. Good to see Jesse Harris getting a go. Maybe I should start campaigning for Pat Hodgetts on here now to!

Last year I would have thought Kelly was mad if he'd picked Ford at 10 as I thought he had a tendency to panic under pressure and take poor options. But this year it's as if he's suddenly grown up and has argueably been our best player from week-to-week along with Connor and Maafu.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It will be interesting to see how much game time Kellaway gets in the U20 World Championship and how (and where) he plays when he returns.

It will also be interesting to see where coach Thompson plays him in the U20s.

The NSW U20s used him at 13, but I think the best centres in the Oz team are Stewart and Foketi. Placid will be the fullback in the big games; so AK (Andrew Kellaway) may have to be a winger or a dogsbody in 2014.

He won't be a dogsbody next year though.

Incidentally, I believe the correct spelling of Ned's surname is Hanigan.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
You can't compare Burton to Foketi. Foketi is a skilful big elusive outside centre, fast enough to play on the wing. You'd rate him higher than inside centre Burton in that position.

You can only compare Burton to Stewart but they are different style of players.

Burton is an inside centre the way that Barnes plays the position. Stewart plays both centre positions and is a physical style of 12 yet versatile enough to facilitate the back 3 at 13.

Burton played well enough last year but did not set the world on fire, did he?

I'd rather have the more versatile Stewart play 12 than Burton, but if the Oz U20 flyhalf needs help they'd need a guy like Burton or Horwitz at 12 to help him out.

Godwin is out of the Force team and Burton is having his first start in Cape Town. Let's see how the young guy goes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you have provided a great assessment on their value add to the side.
Though I just can't see them overlooking a Super capped player in their best side,whether they should or not.
It will be very interesting to see how things pan out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It will be interesting; it always is. Under 20s hardly ever play their "best side" anyway; so we'll have to wait for the money games at the end of the tournament to see who is their best for the opponent they have on that day.

The match lists in the tournament are always a compromise between using all their squad to have players fresh, who their opponents are, who plays best with whom, who should be played as much as he can be, and who he will, or won't, be playing with.

A player's abilitity to play with rugby strangers, back up up with a short turnaround (three games in eight days in pool matches) and play in different positions would have been a part of the selection of the squad in the first place.

As for a Super rating — if Burton had been a Sydney boy and Stewart from Perth … you know what I mean.

But this is a Randwick thread and I'll leave it at that.

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
Thoughts on yesterday people? Some standout performances and some things to work on.
I thought Munro and Harrod played especially well. Munro in defence and Harrod looked great in the lineout for a small forward. Both got around the park well.
Ethan did well at 10 I thought too. A great replacement for Horwitz and Nicholson when needed. His defence was strong and had options in attack when backline allowed him to.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A warm day out at Granville with so many games of rugby , it was impossible to watch them all.
Congratulations to both clubs for running 5 grades in the mens division and still having spares enough to almost run a sixth.
Not sure the score in fifths but Wicks won, as they did in fourths(39-29) and thirds(27-20). Both sides unafraid to run with the ball or drop it on occasion, and all games played in good spirit.
There are many players on both sides who would not look out of place in the higher grades.
The Wicks second grade lost 31-30 against a side that played with commitment and never gave up in defence. The two blues backing up of the ball carrier and getting the offloads was impressive and enabled them to continually change the point of attack. Had a few longer passes gone to hand they would have had a bigger margin. The Wicks seconds are a very good team with seasoned players who almost managed to pull off a win in the last minutes but committed defence denied them. Parra had a couple of yellows that luckily did not impact them on the final result.
First grade started a bit quicker than last week , though the two blues were first to score. Both sides played very well defensively, but the Wicks scrum and lineout had an edge all game. Thought Ford made a good fist of the number 10 and stopped two certain tries with great tackling. Harris on debut looked unsure of himself for the first few minutes but then settled into his role which he performed well. Thought Figg and Munro both worked harder this game, which would please their coach. Thought a few breaks required earlier passes after the initial break was made and Wicks should take a leaf out of Parra's book on offloads and backing up.
Wicks got blown off a couple of early rucks and they will need to protect this area against the heavier teams.
Wicks and Parra dropped a lot of ball which would have made a higher scoreline if held.
Wonderful Hosts and smartly turned out.

pstoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thoughts on yesterday people? Some standout performances and some things to work on.
I thought Munro and Harrod played especially well. Munro in defence and Harrod looked great in the lineout for a small forward. Both got around the park well.
Ethan did well at 10 I thought too. A great replacement for Horwitz and Nicholson when needed. His defence was strong and had options in attack when backline allowed him to.

Few positives to take out of yesterday other than a W. Lacked structure and cohesion in forwards and backs.

Pos - scrums, Maafu.
Negs- control of field position, ball transition across back line, composure in contact.

If no Nicholson next week, I would swap Ethan and Liam. Munro does not have the multi dimension play of an 8. I would shift him to lock and play Baldwin at 6 to support the expansive game we are trying to play.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Few positives to take out of yesterday other than a W. Lacked structure and cohesion in forwards and backs.

Pos - scrums, Maafu.
Negs- control of field position, ball transition across back line, composure in contact.

If no Nicholson next week, I would swap Ethan and Liam. Munro does not have the multi dimension play of an 8. I would shift him to lock and play Baldwin at 6 to support the expansive game we are trying to play.
Munro to lock and baldwin up??? we need size in the pack (sight your positive about the scrum) as oppose to the light weight pack the week before that got demolished in the scrum.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Munro to lock and baldwin up??? we need size in the pack (sight your positive about the scrum) as oppose to the light weight pack the week before that got demolished in the scrum.

My ideal backrow would be Munro @6, Baldwin @8 @ Connor @7 - unless of course Hoiles was available then he would be my pick for 8. Baldwin is heavier than Figg I suspect.
Maybe I am being harsh on Figg as he has added some nice touches around the park although I don't think he is a captain as yet. I can't see him delivering more than the above 3.
Thought Jesse Harris did enough and has the bulk needed. The other lock was quiet although thought he did OK the week before. Think we have a few tight forwards on the way back which may help.
I reckon we have a horror draw however also reckon there is a big chance of some upsets which may plague the Hobbits & Woodies and enable us to sneak into the top 6.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My ideal backrow would be Munro @6, Baldwin @8 @ Connor @7 - unless of course Hoiles was available then he would be my pick for 8. Baldwin is heavier than Figg I suspect.
Maybe I am being harsh on Figg as he has added some nice touches around the park although I don't think he is a captain as yet. I can't see him delivering more than the above 3.
Thought Jesse Harris did enough and has the bulk needed. The other lock was quiet although thought he did OK the week before. Think we have a few tight forwards on the way back which may help.
I reckon we have a horror draw however also reckon there is a big chance of some upsets which may plague the Hobbits & Woodies and enable us to sneak into the top 6.
Completely agree I think the three you mentioned offer alot more then Figg. Id like to see Munro skipper

Status
Not open for further replies.