• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

G&GR Fantasy Super Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
89 is insane. I've never seen higher in the last 4 years of Fantasy rugby. It will probably go higher too

I think Drew Mitchell had 110 points or so last year when he scored 4 tries in one round. But 89 points is a monster week. Too bad Sarel Pretorius is so insconsistent.

V

vikingbrad

My fantasy cup opponent has Siale Piutau benched! And SBW captain!

YES!

After 3 weeks I switched captains from Schmoo to SBW, any of my other backs captain and I would have won. My opponent has Gits as C. I'm out.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Same man. With 437 points I lose. So frustrating when I am ranked way higher in the standings then my opponent. Do you get anything for being first out of everyone or do you have too win the fantasy cup?

Go the force!!!!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Drew Mitchell had 110 points or so last year when he scored 4 tries in one round. But 89 points is a monster week. Too bad Sarel Pretorius is so insconsistent.

Last year I'm sure I had quade at caption one game and he scored 190 something.

Go the force!!!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Four teams out of the top five at G&GR had Pretorius as their halfback. Now if that was the top 5 for this week it would make sense. But its the top five for the comp. And last week Pretorius scored a total of 9 points! Yet the top players didn't drop him or sell him. Come on guys, fess up. Why would you pick a guy if he went so badly last week? What's the secret of your success?

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I made every error possible this week, and am consequently out of the cup now. And dropping places rapidly in our league - im now in the 80s, from a high of top 20 about4 weeks ago. I seem to have lost the touch

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I didn't move a single spot. I am still stuck at 85.
I really think as teams slowly become the same there won't be much movement in the rankings. I cant see an instance where I will jump 20 or 30 spots.
There are a core group of players everyone seems to have and then a few more in each position that we all seem to be selecting. The only way someone is going to make serious progress it to choose the players who have one off weeks where they score big, or if one of your players has a horrible week or two. This is the part that will test our skill :p

I wouldnt say the comp is over, but those at the top seem to be the ones who are truley in contention.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't move a single spot. I am still stuck at 85.
I really think as teams slowly become the same there won't be much movement in the rankings. I cant see an instance where I will jump 20 or 30 spots.
There are a core group of players everyone seems to have and then a few more in each position that we all seem to be selecting. The only way someone is going to make serious progress it to choose the players who have one off weeks where they score big, or if one of your players has a horrible week or two. This is the part that will test our skill :p

I wouldnt say the comp is over, but those at the top seem to be the ones who are truley in contention.

If you look at the top 20 overall in our league, you'll see that there's 104 points between the top scorer for this round and the bottom point scorer. So, there is still room to move if you can get a run of 450+ scores, but that's no easy task. This is my first shot at fantasy and I made a lot of mistakes early, so I'm out of the top 20 but I've learnt a few things too:
  • Not many players score well against the top teams. So if a player is a bit iffy, then bench him if he is playing the Saders, Stormers and Blues. If he is a regular 20+ player then maybe he's worth a go.
  • A brilliant but inconsistent player is worth selecting if they play in a low scoring position (half back or front row or lock). Pretorius is the best example, but you'd also include Alexander and Chisholm in that category. If they have an off day, they'll score single digit, but that's only 10 or so points below what another player would score. If he's on you might get 50+.
  • In the backrow and the inside backs the best are always going to get 30+, so if you pick someone flakey you can do your whole season in one round. More than one flakey and you might be a hero or zero.
  • With inside backs you have to pick good kickers, from good teams if possible but from bad ones too. As they are mostly inside backs they touch the ball a lot and penalties/conversions become cream on the cake.
When all is said and done there is still a huge dollop of luck needed to win. Last week I benched O'Connor for Slade because I thought he'd have a picnic up against Cipriani and Hilgendorf. He got badly injured in the first five minutes! It could have been worse, I could have made him captain. I still think I made a good decision in the circumstances, but in hindsight it dropped me a lot of points.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slade was just plain bad luck, the way I see it. Good decision if he wasn't injured, but you can't pick bad luck, so I am willing to live with those calls.

However, I did plenty of other stupid things but still ended up with 419 points for the round, which is pretty fair I reckon. Anything over 400 is a decent enough round, but somehow at the lowly rank of 41 I still dropped 2 places down to 43. It's even freaking that competitive in the top 50.

My other moves were all failures. SBW as captain, not checking the Lions team sheet and seeing Franco vdM dropped, leaving Saffy in (score of 7) when my original plan was to bring in Messam, to instead sub Beale and Ioane (who both scored low 30s) for Gits (good move) and Slade (good call but unlucky). I didn't even think of subbing Bieber, which would've been the smart move. I was actually my sub of Beale for Slade which cost me Saffy for Messam. Brilliant! However, seeing as I am as low as 43 now, I reckon I'll keep it going with similar calls like Slade - it's the only way to make up ground.

BTW, Pretorius has ended up on 80, it looks. I think I will persist with him - a half back who averages 30-odd, even off highs and lows, is a good scorer for his price.

This week for my team sees Slade gone - he's out for the season with a broken jaw, and in my inside backs I need to either sub Gits (bye) or Savea (playing left right out) which would leaving Gits on the bench. Gits is worth keeping I reckon, he's been tearing it up. I have $579k to play with, so I can get a two or three reasonably expensive players with the sale of Slade and Savea and/or Saffy. In fact, I've already cashed in on Slade (while his price was still high) for Ice, in the hope they'll tear the Rebels a new one, leaving $338 to play with, meaning I might have to live with Saffy shitting up my bench a little longer. I still dream of selling Saffy for Messam, but no longer have the cash...

Bet Ice will now be benched for the week.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm in pretty good shape transfer wise going into round 10. With four available transfers I only have one player to swap out (Giteau). I may bring in Quade or D. Carter, and use my other three transfers to make some strategic moves.

OzSash

Allen Oxlade (6)
I may bring in Quade or D. Carter

I am always warey of the QLD/NSW game for fantasy. Could be a blowout (more likely in favour of the Reds this week as opposed to the earlier home game for the Tahs) or could be a dour affair where the likes of QC (Quade Cooper) doesn't sparkle like he did last week. For mine, I will be avoiding any Reds or Tahs at this stage (except for maybe Schmoo as I don't want to fire him then buy him back at a loss) - too risky in my book.

Similarly, I seem to recall reading somewhere that unless D. Carter was 'right' he wouldn't be risked this weekend. Make sure to check the line-up before you make your subs!

Reactions: Ash

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i was away on holiday for the weekend and had to set my team early (before all teams announced) and without the usual amount of thought.

needless to say, did not go well. scrounged up 400 points but got bounced by my fantasy cup matchup. slipped a few spots in the league too.

hoping for a rebound this week.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Not a great week for me, 441, but is still my highest of the season. Sitting right on 100th. As usual, hindsight tells me how many points I had on the bench, JC JvR on the bench, Jack Lam on the bench and Gilbert on the bench. Oh well, only have 3 out this week . 1 from each tem, Gits, Pretorius and Steenkamp. Have a handy $420 spare so I will look to use my 4 trades wisely.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Haven't looked lately cos my wife had our 3rd baby today but I'm still pissed off I went with phipps over Pretorius....that could have been HUGE for me....oh well....lol

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I had a terrible start to the competition but have been improving weekly. This week I managed my top score of 503 but still got knocked out of the cup. The fantasy rugby gods are not on my side.

Status
Not open for further replies.