• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

G&GR Fantasy Super Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow, I had a great week! 483 points thank to Pretorius, Poki, Gits and captain JOC (James O'Connor). Up to #1 in GAGR and 16 overall. I can smell that $10K!
Was hoping bringing in David Smith would be a master stroke, expecting the Force to run in a load of tries against the rebels on their off week, but alas that didn't happen.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I ended up getting through the first cup round barely. If I picked my captain right I would of had a good 430 points but I still moved up globally so bot a bad round. I think it's all about staying consistent now.

Anyone get knocked out apart from ash? Or did we get through?

Go the force!!!!

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks henchy. I was thinking about the backrowers. If you have the stats it'd be very interesting to compare

Backrowers have been a nightmare this year. Nearly every top guy has been injured.

Last year

David Pocock - 34.9
Rocky Elsom - 30.7
Pierre Spiers - 30.1
Juan Smith - 29.9
Adam Thomson - 28.8
Keiran Read - 26.1
Liam Messam - 25.8
Stephen Hoiles - 25.5
Wycliff Palu - 24.7
Heinrich Brussow - 24.2
Richard McCaw - 23.1
Victor Vito - 23.1

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting. Looking at this year, thompson is on 35/game, followed by alberts, messam, Minnie and delve on around 29/game.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Interesting. Looking at this year, thompson is on 35/game, followed by alberts, messam, Minnie and delve on around 29/game.

Don't forget Victor Vito.

See this is where I get burnt in this game. I always expect guys like Victor Vito this year to end up dropping back to their season average from the year before which is why I dont trade for them. Then you have guys that trade a player in after 1 good round with no idea about the players history and if it comes off their experts.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Backrowers have been a nightmare this year. Nearly every top guy has been injured.

Last year

David Pocock - 34.9
Rocky Elsom - 30.7
Pierre Spiers - 30.1
Juan Smith - 29.9
Adam Thomson - 28.8
Keiran Read - 26.1
Liam Messam - 25.8
Stephen Hoiles - 25.5
Wycliff Palu - 24.7
Heinrich Brussow - 24.2
Richard McCaw - 23.1
Victor Vito - 23.1

Did McCaw play in every game last year, or did your stats reflect total points divided by 13 games (total number of rounds) or number of games actually played by him?

Hard to believe someone like McCaw to score over 10 points per game less than the leader...

Good stuff putting it all together though...cheers!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Are you able to pull points per minute for the backrowers? I've always remembered Sir Richie as dominating...

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There's a reason why McCaw was only valued at 350K at the start of the season by foxsports.

PPM for backrowers

David Pocock 0.4359
Rocky Elsom 0.3890
Pierre Spiers 0.3807
Juan Smith 0.3767
Adam Thomson 0.3623
Liam Messam 0.3457
Keiran Read 0.3424
Ryan Kankowski 0.3288
Stephen Hoiles 0.3232
Ben Mowen 0.3107
Richard McCaw 0.3084

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would love to see the ppm and averages for halfbacks as well.

Would be interesting to do an analysis of points vs cost in different positions.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Halfback numbers don't mean as much IMO. Because guys like Genia and FDP will obviously play more minutes then most.

And as you will notice Sarel Pretorius is scoring very well this year because he is getting alot more minutes but maintaing his PPM average from last year.

Will Genia .3850
Francois Hougaard .2931
Sarel Pretorius .2741
Alby Mathewson .2698
Piri Weepu .2485
Fourie Du Preez .2364
Josh Valentine .2239
Luke Burgess .2113

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Would love to see the ppm and averages for halfbacks as well.

Would be interesting to do an analysis of points vs cost in different positions.

From what I've noticed your best bet is to try and spend as little as possible on locks and props each year.

Every year a different hooker and halfback will always step up. I can remember one year where Andrew Hore had insane numbers and scores something like 9 tries. Same as Rory Kockett.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
kockett was awesome that year he was the primary goal kicker. too bad he's a bench player now.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
From what I've noticed your best bet is to try and spend as little as possible on locks and props each year.

Every year a different hooker and halfback will always step up. I can remember one year where Andrew Hore had insane numbers and scores something like 9 tries. Same as Rory Kockett.

The world's best halfback has certainly not stepped up to the plate. I've held on to him for seven rounds, a number as captain, but last week was the final straw. He's being sold. Now, according to the corollory to Hawko's Law, if you buy him this week he'll score 50+. As a public service I should announce that this week I am buying Fruean, Matthewson, Poki and Sharpe. Be warned, I have the kiss of death.

Lost out in the Fantasy Cup to a player who only had 14 scoring players. Thank you FdP and Matfield for your outstanding performances.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The issue with halfbacks is that a fair bit of great halfback play isn't rewarded with points. Getting to plenty of rucks, getting the ball out quickly, organising the forwards, throwing good passes chest height in front of the man, and taking the right passing option will earn no points (unless they get a linebreak or try assist), and it's these qualities which often define great halfbacks. Whereas, busy halfbacks who like to run, link, tackle, and turn over balls will earn better points. Pretorious is an example of a halfback who loves to link in open play and find space, and he's earnt a lot of points for it. For those reasons, I think I wouldn't hold FdP, but rather a Pretorious or a Burgess. In fact, I think I am even going to sell Genia (who is running a little less this year) to probably buy Pretorious (who will probably now earn less than 10 every game now that I intend to buy him) to join Phipps in my team.

I can understand Hore earning plenty, because when on form he can turn over the ball like an extra loosie, can carry very well, and has a damn high workrate with carrying and tackling. The issue with some good tight forwards (and some loosies who just run all day to hit rucks) is that you don't earn points being the first or second to rucks, so it's much much harder for them to earn points. Whereas loosies who love to get involved with carrying the ball, turn balls over, and tackle all day like Thomson will earn heaps.

On locks, I reckon you could buy the right type of lock who will earn plenty of points, but you're looking more at a Wykes, Bekhuis or Bekker type of loose running lock than say a Bakkies, Thorn, or even a Matfield tighter/lineout locks, and the loose running lock will be up and down from week to week and will need to be in good form.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The world's best halfback has certainly not stepped up to the plate. I've held on to him for seven rounds, a number as captain, but last week was the final straw. He's being sold. Now, according to the corollory to Hawko's Law, if you buy him this week he'll score 50+. As a public service I should announce that this week I am buying Fruean, Matthewson, Poki and Sharpe. Be warned, I have the kiss of death.

Lost out in the Fantasy Cup to a player who only had 14 scoring players. Thank you FdP and Matfield for your outstanding performances.

Mathewson is on bye this week.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Pretorius and Phibbs for the rest of the year. Cost about 325K between the two of them and they are more then holding their own compared to the "bigger names".

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What's more, the Cheetahs and Rebels do not share a bye, so you can rotate both of them - so long as the Cheetahs don't bench Pretorious when the Rebels have a bye, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.