• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

G&GR Fantasy Super Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have two peep in the team of the week so far on my bench: Poki and Salvi. Did I mention that I hate Salvi?

My fantasy cup guy is up 108 to 107 on me but I think I can take him.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Good luck with that Ash ;) We're neck & neck both with 5 played. I'm hoping Ioane as captain is my masterstroke of the season so far & gets me another week further in the Fantasy Cup. Along with improving my overall standing of course.....

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The fantasy cup is very annoying.

You play some guy that you're beating by 500 points overrall and then his players get hot one week and then you're out.

I still don't understand why they do it.

It's a bit of extra fun......whats annoying about more fun? Killjoy, no wonder you have Derrin Hinch as an avatar ;-)

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
Looks like not too bad a week...Fantasy Cup I'm up over my guy 298 points to 50....and I stuffed up with having Bekhuis start over Ross.....I hate how the 'Transfers' page isn't laid out the same as the 'My team' page.....gets me confused with what I'm doing week to week sometimes...

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Looks like I am stuffed. I need quade too have an average game but digby too have a great game.

If you get knocked out of the fantasy cup does that mean you can't win the 10 g's? Even if you still come first

Go the force!!!!

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Mealamu has a great game. Hopefully he can outscore Bismarch Du Plessis as a lot of you guys have him.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Toeava is doing pretty well so far as my captain, 9 busted tackles and 3 line breaks.

Edit: 14 busted tackles now for 63 points **don't get excited, don't get excited**

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Outside of Mitchell captain for Round 1 and Toeava as captain this week, Moses is a pretty shit fantasy player.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bloody hell my Blues players fucked me. Myth off early and Payne lasted 50 mins and hardly any score before being forced off. <edit> full respect to the Cheetahs for a decent game.

It didn't help that the cracking run by Payne where he looked set to score was called back for obstruction.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well that blows - my opponent had Digby as captain. Those 50 points should be enough for him to beat me.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lucky I had JOC (James O'Connor) as my captain, whilst my opponent had Payne from Blues when he could have had the choice from Ice, Beale or QC (Quade Cooper) as his captain...so that was the margin between us then!

Also have gone up over 40 places in the GAGR comp...and 4000 places global!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I told you it would be my masterstroke. Be thankful it was a fellow Queenslander & G&GR participant that knocked you out :)

Well that blows - my opponent had Digby as captain. Those 50 points should be enough for him to beat me.

Reactions: Ash

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Wow, most of my team had ANOTHER shit week, but Toeava as Capt may have just got me a win this week

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pretty good week (mainly thanks to Digby and Poki), sitting around 1,500 for the week, but have only moved up four spot in the GAGR league. Annoying to say the least.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Fucked it again. Taking a longer view, that's what I get for having so many blues and highlanders players. What was I thinking?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Outside of Mitchell captain for Round 1 and Toeava as captain this week, Moses is a pretty shit fantasy player.
Those have been my two big moves, however as Newb said some time ago this comp is about consistency. Would love to dig up that post he did, some great advice on how he'd prefer a player who scores 20 points every week (say Beau Robinson) than one who is all over the place (say Isaea Toeava)

The big thing I'm happy with about this season to date is I've filled every spot every week - no dormant players. Kevin O'Neill put me close a few times, but Steenkamp on the bench subbed in to keep my record intact... even if he did score negative points.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Up 19 places this week in the G&GR league with 420 points. Getting the hang of this competition helps. I've got $169k in the bank, and some relatively good subs for at present, should be ok. Pity I used my wildcard this early, but all part of the learning curve I guess...

I agree with Moses, it's consistently good scores that will win - not the one off freakfests that hook nearly 500+ points and so on.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Already made two transfers, risky play but could work out for me.

Transfered the myth out on Saturday when he went out with the calk injury for Mackintosh.

Suspect I got the timing perfect on the second transfer, SBW was 400k yesterday, 392 now. Sivi is still 480k, I suspect he'll go drop this week after consecutive poor returns. If MackIntosh and SBW are named to start then I'll be stoked.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here is the sage advice after Newb took out the whole thing in 2009 I was referring to.. full interview here.

Newb said:
What are your cunning tips for kicking fantasy arse?
I think more than anything I tried to be consistant – never too low and really I wasn’t ever too high (round to round speaking). I tried to go with players that were solid on a weekly basis instead of taking flyers on guys that were up and down and hoping for an up. I had guys like Gits, Digby, Kockott, Waldrom, Pocock, and Fat Cat in my roster about every week trusting that low weeks would be evened out by high weeks. Went with some guys that caught fire at the end of the season too like Sharpe, Nonu, Toeava, and Alexander and rode them out.

By doing this I missed out on some big games by guys like Quade, Ranger, Spies, Frans Steyn, etc. but I also missed out on their lows. A big stat category for me (especially later in the year) was points per game played. As has been said, class is permanent and the top guys usually retained their form for most of the season. Can’t say I played a lot of matchups as I found it hard to predict who would go off.

Status
Not open for further replies.