• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
As I thought, it was Channel 9's choice to not cover the Ashes in HD, and also their choice to go to their shithouse infomercial at 6:00pm and follow it up with that appalling tripe at 6:30 rather than cover a popular event to which they'd purchased exclusive rights.

I understand they're running a business and will make decisions to maximise their profit. What really irks me is we have laws to protect their right to deny us coverage of sport.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
There is a ridiculous amount of posts on the site. Hopefully they change their minds.
If they do this for the springboks game i'll spit the dummy. they have 3 channels, all with terrible television shows. they can afford to put some entertainment on for a couple of hours.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I think GAGR should get behind the rebel army's push here and put it up on the front page, along with WWOS facebook page.

ON that note about the WWOS facebook page, from complaining experience, it's best not to be abusive.

Something I would try is to embarass them.

i.e.

Dear WWOS,

I am disapointed to see that you are not covering the Wallabies game against Samoa live in VIC, WA, SA. These groups of people are Australian people who are looking to support the Australian team come september's Rugby World Cup, the biggest sporting event this year. I reflect that I am embarassed to think that you proclaim the name WWOS, yet you won't even broadcast our own national team to individual states.

I would much appreciate It If you could please rectify this problem and show your commitment to the broadcasting rights you have purchased.

Sincerely, Harry DixnBalls

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Just got onto the facebook page after getting home and the amount of posting is ridiculous. WWOS just said they are going to talk to the programming dept. about it.

cmonnnnn boiz

A

Army_Gav

Just got onto the facebook page after getting home and the amount of posting is ridiculous. WWOS just said they are going to talk to the programming dept. about it.

cmonnnnn boiz
Bet the women I spoke to in programming is regretting what she said now. Don't mess with the Army.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
Things might get worse before they get better:
Channel Nine facing scheduling clash with Wallabies and NRL semi-finals

CHANNEL 9 will be forced to decide between its traditional rugby league fans or the station's multi-million dollar investment in rugby union's World Cup when the two rival sports clash dramatically this year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that a week-two NRL semi-final at the SFS on September 17 will be played concurrently with a World Cup Pool C Test between the Wallabies and Ireland in Auckland.

Nine will logistically be unable to telecast both games live.

B

Braveheart.

This from Dean Richie's blog....

CHANNEL 9 must remember exactly where its loyalties lie.

The network, locked in a fierce battle to retain the game’s broadcast rights, has enjoyed a strong 20-year marriage with rugby league.

And they want the TV rights for another five years.

Their rugby union commitment to the World Cup is a one-off over just seven weeks. To shun a live NRL semi-final for a rah-rah Test against world plodders and kick-happy Ireland would be a disgrace. It would be an insult to every rugby league fan.

Nine must be loyal to the viewers that tune in every Friday and Sunday throughout winter.

Rugby league’s ratings murder union. That is fact.

Just last week, the national average for State of Origin III was a staggering 3.765 million viewers. And to further illustrate league’s television dominance, 73 of the top rating pay-TV shows last year were NRL.

Nine better prepare for a whopping backlash if they cave in and show a game they completely dismiss for the four years between each World Cup.

This debate is going to heat up in the lead-up to September 17. We've got to make sure we're as vocal and as fervant and the leaguies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
show one game on 9 and the other on Go or GEM. easy enough answer surely.
This would be the ideal solution, it may mean the Rugby is kicked off the main station to an HD station. This would be a win for Rugby for it to be in HD, if the Mungos flick over they will get a shock at not only how much better the game is, but how much better it looks

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah but it is embarrasing. An Australian RWC game on some poxy digital channel? JON will be doing everything possible to avoid it. Wouldn't be surprised if the NRL has to start a bit later to accommodate it.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
would be a great result and both programs will rate higher than The Block.

does this mean there will be a conflict the next week with NRL finals and the other tests? i personally would much rather watch England v Georgia or New Zealand v France than a game of league.

B

Braveheart.

would be a great result and both programs will rate higher than The Block.

does this mean there will be a conflict the next week with NRL finals and the other tests? i personally would much rather watch England v Georgia or New Zealand v France than a game of league.

I'd rather watch Romania vs Nambibia than a game of league.

Hell, I'd even watch the Block too....

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Am I right in thinking 9 is not allowed to show one game on the main channel and a different game on Go or Gem? Bizarre, but I think that's the rules at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.