• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I have foxtel and i like the service but...

all fans should be able to enjoy the wallabies games and some just can't afford foxtel

All Wallabies fans can watch the games - live on Fox, live in pubs and clubs, live kickoff on 9 in eastern states, and delayed on 9 in other states. Great result

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

A

Army_Gav

I managed to rattle Nine's cage today, when I called and stated that the Rebel Army (4000+) would call/email to let them know otherwise.

"We're trying to run a business and produce a profit".

Someone get a violin and a box of tissues. Use it or lose it.

A

Army_Gav

all fans should be able to enjoy the wallabies games and some just can't afford foxtel
I agree. More people watching Rugby, equals more potential spectators, equals more potential juniors being interested.

T

TOCC

All the FTA games must now be shown live from next year, which was a condition set down by the AFL... but this is also a club competition with 17 teams...

So it's rugby equivalent would be SupeRugby which has zero FTA matches...

I would've thought that in the interest of the sport the ARU would've had a condition of showing Wallaby matches live (at least 'live' with commercial breaks thrown in) in its renewed broadcast deal...

Nothing has changed going from Channel 7 to Channel 9... I fear for the World Cup as its early stages clash with NRL Finals...

Will the FTA viewers in the Sydney and Brisbane metro markets now received delayed telecasts as 9 favours its flagship sport?

Incorrect, in the AFL states only 3 matches will be shown live, the broadcast rights were also for a 18team competition(9 games/weekend).

Like I said, even the AFL had to cede some ground to the broadcasters, the ARU isn't in a position to demand matches like Samoa are broadcast live in every state.

Like always, if you want rugby union, buy Foxtel

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Wallabies fans can watch the games - live on Fox, live in pubs and clubs, live kickoff on 9 in eastern states, and delayed on 9 in other states. Great result

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

It's hard enough to find a pub or club that's playing it in Melbourne, let alone on a Sunday...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Incorrect, in the AFL states only 3 matches will be shown live, the broadcast rights were also for a 18team competition(9 games/weekend).

Like I said, even the AFL had to cede some ground to the broadcasters, the ARU isn't in a position to demand matches like Samoa are broadcast live in every state.

Like always, if you want rugby union, buy Foxtel

That's an awful attitude to have... and it doesn't help the game grow to have such an insular attitude...

Essentially the Wallabies are not available to most of the country...

It's really no wonder that after SupeRugby our next best competition is backyard rugby...

The game will go the way of Australian basketball if the ARU are not careful...

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
The coverage of the Reds win on Seven and Nine's evening news telecast last night was very disappointing. Gave the win lip service only.

T

TOCC

That's an awful attitude to have... and it doesn't help the game grow to have such an insular attitude...

It's really no wonder that after SupeRugby our next best competition is backyard rugby...

The game will go the way of Australian basketball if the ARU are not careful...
It's called reality Slim...
The ARU can't afford to turn the Super Rugby FTA because of the significantly reduced broadcast rights they would offer..
Likewise they can't demand a opponent like Samoa be broadcast live in every state..

Like Basketball??? Lol, you joking or what..
The super rugby season just finished with not only ratings up on average 40% but a Foxtel ratings record 20% higher then anything before...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would love Rugby on FTA but I don't think it's going to happen. Going to the pub is false economy. The money you save on foxtel gets used up on beer and counter meals. So I get Foxtel and cut back the sports channels when the S15 is not on.

T

TheNextBigThing

Did the same thing this year. The Beer and chips money has covered most of the cost. It's also great being able to watch South Africa games without having to go into the CBD and being able to watch replays at your leisure.

That said I'm sharing the cost with my roommates which makes it significantly easier.

D

daz

Not true. The Wobs games are available on TV in nearly all parts of the country. Moses correctly gave the options in his post above ^

Not great, I agree, but not bad either. It's just a reflection of the supporter base v. location.

U

Utility Back

At the end of the day channel nine has two other channels that will be broadcasting replays of bewitched or some shit, seeing how they've already bought the bloody rights just broadcast it of one of them at least!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm actually surprised Channel 9 in Perth aren't broadcasting it live or at the very least at a far friendlier time as they have a sponsorship deal with the Force.

A

Army_Gav

I'm actually surprised Channel 9 in Perth aren't broadcasting it live or at the very least at a far friendlier time as they have a sponsorship deal with the Force.

Because they're a business and are trying to produce a profit. You have to feel for them don't you, poor old Channel 9.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's called reality Slim...
The ARU can't afford to turn the Super Rugby FTA because of the significantly reduced broadcast rights they would offer..
Likewise they can't demand a opponent like Samoa be broadcast live in every state..

Like Basketball??? Lol, you joking or what..
The super rugby season just finished with not only ratings up on average 40% but a Foxtel ratings record 20% higher then anything before...

Short memory...

The NBL was huge back in the 80s and early 90s...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
None of the FTA comercial channels have done anything worthwhile with the rights they have received since 1994 IMO. They want the RWC and Bleds but will find something else to show instead of evrything else.

Well if they want that stuff they can guarentee decent coverage for the other tests. If they will not do this give the Rugby back to the ABC, they do a wonderful job with the Shute Shield and I have to say their Comms team is very good.

I loved the old tests on the ABC with Norman May doing the call, (now thats showing my age a little).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Because they're a business and are trying to produce a profit. You have to feel for them don't you, poor old Channel 9.

And why shouldn't they? They aren't a charity, they put on programs that will get the most viewers. They have judged, rightly or wrongly, that the rugby just doesn't get enough viewers. Of course they don't have the best interests of the game at heart, you would be naive to think that they would. By all means question their judgement, but I can't believe you are having a crack at them for chasing ratings and dollars, because TV has been that way for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.