• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RuckinGoodStats

Canes have a team and a lot of strapping tape to hold them together, cause the team culture might not. The key change is the return of Aaron Cruden at first-five. Kirkpatrick who had a surprisingly good place kick success last week isn't even on the bench.

Other changes are:
Jason Eaton replacing Jeremy Thrush in the second row;
Jack Lam moving from blindside to openside flanker;
Faifili Levave coming into the starting team at No 6;
Chris Eaton getting the nod over Tyson Keats at halfback;
Charlie Ngatai filling in for the injured Ma'a Nonu at second-five;
Andre Taylor starts at fullback for Cory Jane.

Piri Weepu will play one more club rugby game for Wainuiomata and the thinking is back for the Blues

Hurricanes:
Andre Taylor,Alapati Leiua, Jayden Hayward, Charlie Ngatai, Hosea Gear, Aaron Cruden, Chris Eaton, Victor Vito, Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, James Broadhurst, Jason Eaton, Neemia Tialata, Andrew Hore (capt), John Schwalger.

Reserves: Dane Coles, Anthony Perenise, Jeremy Thrush, Mark Reddish, Tyson Keats, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett.

Hore is playing his 100th game for the Canes after his 100th SuperRugby apperance a few weeks ago.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Sorry forgot to acknowledge that Reds lock Van Humphries and scrumhalf Will Genia are in line to play their 50th game for Queensland after being named in a 23-man touring squad to play the Hurricanes in Wellington on Saturday. So milestone games in both teams.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought that his new kicking style may have had a bit to do with his performance. He seems to be intent on torpedoing the ball as far as possible where in previous games it seems to me he was more intent on finding space with his kicks.

The torpedo things is a reoccurring problem with quade. The story I heard on the grapevine that in his second year in the churchie 1st he set out to master the torp, and just started torping every time he decided to kick tactically. I dunno if that's true, but going by last weekends performance it would seem he hasn't yet mastered it, and conventional kicking is a safer bet.

T

tranquility

I would prefer to not see Chambers on the wing, but it might do him some good to get a run. How long is his contract? if it is only for two seasons he may be playing / training for his future.. at the Reds that is.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The torpedo things is a reoccurring problem with quade. The story I heard on the grapevine that in his second year in the churchie 1st he set out to master the torp, and just started torping every time he decided to kick tactically. I dunno if that's true, but going by last weekends performance it would seem he hasn't yet mastered it, and conventional kicking is a safer bet.

A bit more re QC (Quade Cooper)+Torp (and the 'off day') here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...the-torpedo-bomb/story-e6frg7o6-1226046537931

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Reddy!, I think your concern is valid, on the mental fatigue front. The mental focus and concentration demands this season on QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 have been enormous, just as one example. I was close to the line on Saturday and my group all thought QC (Quade Cooper) was looking a bit more tired and tense than usual. Most commentators put his poor kicks from hand down to the pressure of that game, I sense it might be a bit more a factor of what he has had to invest mentally to get to this streak - he has been at the centre of almost every win.

Very, very few teams can keep up what the Reds have been achieving for say 8+ games straight, without any lapse through mental fatigue. It was this game and the next where a major rotation and rest for 'the engine room' could have been risked, just.

I remember the heartbreak I felt in last year's equivalent match when I looked at the half-way score, then looked again 30 mins later. The remarkable rebirth of 2010 seemed to be dying. Whatever, it will be fascinating to see what transpires in Wellington, especially if Shipperley plays, and adventurous rotational experiments are taken elsewhere.

Indeed, I'm waiting for somebody to say post-game, "it is the loss they had to have".

I'm hoping the Force can get over the Crusaders - I can't wait for that game as well.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Wouldn't mind seeing this against a weaker team:

9. Genia
10. Harris
11. Shipperly
12. Tapuai
13. Chambers
14. Sitauti
15. Morahan

Yeh, a weak team like the u/12s

I don't think there is many games in the Super 15 where you come out and declare that the opposing team is weak. Or that it's going to be an easy game. That backline if pressured, would probably collapse in pieces. If only there were safe opportunities to experiment with a backline like that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St.George Reds team to play Hurricanes
1. Greg Holmes
2. James Hanson
3. Guy Shepherdson
4. Van Humphries*
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Adam Wallace-Harrison
7. Beau Robinson
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. Will Genia* (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Dom Shipperley
12. Mike Harris
13. Will Chambers
14. Luke Morahan
15. Ben Lucas

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Albert Anae
18. Rob Simmons
19. Radike Samo
20. Liam Gill
21. Anthony Fainga'a
22. Kimami Sitauti

R

Richard D. James

Not a bad side considering injuries. Chambers will need to step up. The pack looks pretty good as well.

08umema

Dom Shipperley may have left St Pat's for Nudgee in year 10, but we'll still claim him

T

tranquility

Dom Shipperley may have left St Pat's for Nudgee in year 10, but we'll still claim him

And fair enough, I love that everytime I look at the 22 I know Link has got it right. His squad management is almost intuitive, and I would say alot of it comes from his time at Stade Francais where they have incredibly long seasons, in all sorts of conditions. Onya Link

D

Doc

Still a solid squad, but plenty of guys with almost no game time this year. One problem with lack of club rugby pre-easter. Chambers (along with others) needed to be getting more than 3mins/week to find some form.

T

TheTruth

Not to mention a minor miracle, based on limited sightings this year.

Reckon you are correct - Did Chambers sign a 2 year contract - last year and this - reckon with the talent coming thru he might be playing for a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.