• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Canes v Reds at the Cake Tin - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
My main problem with this match is that I'm not sure if the Reds have the mental capacity at this stage in the season to get up for this game after the emotion of last week. You know, trying to break another hoodoo, this time in NZ, with a number of important players out injured, our 8th win in a row, against a team who is probably more desperate to win a game at this stage of the season.

That said, they can do it, but obviously it is going to take the experience we have to rise to the top and keep the boys going if things don't go our way at first. I ended up tipping the Reds because as long as Horwill, Cooper and Genia are all on the field at the same time, the Reds are a shot at beating anyone in this competition, anywhere.

T

tranquility

I am excited about this match on a number of fronts. First of all the team is in form and therefor always a pleasure to watch. Secondly, we are an odds on chance to win in New Zealand - this has not happened very often in recent times. However my third point which is coincidentally probably my most obvious is the most exciting, and that is of course a glimpse at the talent coming through the academy.

Link has done tremendously well in cultivating a competitive culture that has improved the individual capacity of the players and also of the squad as a whole. Up to this point we have looked very robust (*studying some economics at the moment*) and not wanting in any position. This weekend is the litmus test, or perhaps a better rugby analogy would be the 'Crusader's' test. This is of course when young no-name players are able to step up to the plate and allow the machine to continue functioning at full capacity, based on the thorough understanding of the patterns and individual roles within the team. This week we should see at-least two brand new faces thrown into the most competitive rugby comp in the world.

Dominic Shipperley should start on the wing, he is a tall bloke with great athletic ability. The reserve prop will also be of great interest and one would think that Albert Anae or Kevin Davis will be thrown into the furnace. Good luck to all the lads, I will be an eager spectator from my couch.

R

RuckinGoodStats

At Canes training yesterday Piri Weepu has put a tentative hand up for a Super Rugby return off the bench, Aaron Cruden ran freely, and Rodney So'oialo (remember him?) announced plans to play a club match. Will be interesting to see how they pair up who. Kirkpatrick when he brings his boots kicks well, but often leaves them on the bus. Will be very cold in that concrete stadium Saturday night so the Reds might have to keep it tight to keep warm or run a lot...

T

TheTruth

Shipperly looking good for first start - other than that backs pick themselves and maybe Chambers gets another start as well - real interest is in the pack - who will be rested - Van, if available, is a likely starter to keep the rotation going - the big games are coming and modern rugby requires 22 players, all abvle to step up at various parts of the game to maximise impact - shit i love rugby

D

Dunnman

At Canes training yesterday Piri Weepu has put a tentative hand up for a Super Rugby return off the bench, Aaron Cruden ran freely, and Rodney So'oialo (remember him?) announced plans to play a club match. Will be interesting to see how they pair up who. Kirkpatrick when he brings his boots kicks well, but often leaves them on the bus. Will be very cold in that concrete stadium Saturday night so the Reds might have to keep it tight to keep warm or run a lot...

Rodney is washed up. Hopefully he stays in club rugby.

At this stage of the season where all is lost for the canes give the experience to the young guys.

Andre Taylor
Alapati
Charlie Ngati
Bauden Barret
TJ Peranara
Reddish
Levave
Scott Fuglastaler
Jacob Ellison
Dane Coles
Michael Bent

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
.....My main problem with this match is that I'm not sure if the Reds have the mental capacity at this stage in the season to get up for this game after the emotion of last week.....

Reddy!, I think your concern is valid, on the mental fatigue front. The mental focus and concentration demands this season on QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 have been enormous, just as one example. I was close to the line on Saturday and my group all thought QC (Quade Cooper) was looking a bit more tired and tense than usual. Most commentators put his poor kicks from hand down to the pressure of that game, I sense it might be a bit more a factor of what he has had to invest mentally to get to this streak - he has been at the centre of almost every win.

Very, very few teams can keep up what the Reds have been achieving for say 8+ games straight, without any lapse through mental fatigue. It was this game and the next where a major rotation and rest for 'the engine room' could have been risked, just.

I remember the heartbreak I felt in last year's equivalent match when I looked at the half-way score, then looked again 30 mins later. The remarkable rebirth of 2010 seemed to be dying. Whatever, it will be fascinating to see what transpires in Wellington, especially if Shipperley plays, and adventurous rotational experiments are taken elsewhere.

T

TOCC

Not our best possible backline, but with the 9-10 combination its still pretty strong, Shipperly and Sitauti on the bench?
I watched Sitauti in the Adelaide 7's the other week, and he appears to have improved his speed and fitness, he looked to be seriously lacking in both in the Commonwealth Games 7's tournament.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Chambers
12. Harris
13. Fainga'a
14. Morahan
15. Lucas

Kimami+Sitauti+IRB+Rugby+Sevens+Adelaide+Day+g7xmVl4bNsWl.jpg

180211-Qld2ndvFiji-SH086A.JPG

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Forwards: Albert Anae, Saia Fainga'a, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Greg Holmes, James Horwill (c), Van Humphries, Beau Robinson, Radike Samo, Guy Shepherdson, Rob Simmons, Adam Wallace-Harrison.

Backs: Will Chambers, Quade Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Will Genia, Mike Harris, Ian Prior, Ben Lucas, Luke Morahan, Dom Shipperley, Kimami Sitauti.

http://www.qru.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/2563/Default.aspx

No Leroy. If Link is going to keep the 5-2 split I think this will probably mean Horwill at 6. Maybe something like this:

1. Shepherdson
2. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Humphries
6. Horwill
7. Robinson
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Morahan
12. Harris
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly
15. Lucas

16. Hanson
17. Anae
18. Wallace-Harrison
19. Samo
20. Gill
21. Chambers
22. Sitauti

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Just for a bit of fun i thought i'd put up an alternate backline. I'd love to give Harris a shot at 10 to see how well he could cover for Cooper.

9 Genia
10 Harris
11 Morahan
12 Fainga'a
13 Chambers
14 Shipperly
15 Cooper

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would be happy with that team but think AWH is a chance of starting at 6 as he has been staeling a lot of ball off the opposition throw. Maybe Simmons on the bench to give him a bit of a rest.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wouldn't mind seeing this against a weaker team:

9. Genia
10. Harris
11. Shipperly
12. Tapuai
13. Chambers
14. Sitauti
15. Morahan

Gives Cooper/Fainga'a/Ioane a rest as some of the hardest workers in the backs but keeps the team in safe hands with some excitement on the fringes. No need/real opportunity to do this of course but would be interesting.

T

TheTruth

I would be happy with that team but think AWH is a chance of starting at 6 as he has been staeling a lot of ball off the opposition throw. Maybe Simmons on the bench to give him a bit of a rest.

Agree Jets but Hanson IMO will get a run-on this week - Reckon Link is really experimenting with Hooker to see who really is best scrummager with the big games acomin

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am a huge Hanson fan having watched him since he was playing Colts. I just thought that Link may not want to make to many other changes to the team. Also it is a great luxury to have him on the bench.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think that chambers will get the nod for the wing.

I also think that link will be tempted to set quade free from an attacking perspective but let genia pull him back if it gets out of hand. I expect a very attacking game plan to come into play after the first 15 minutes.

D

daz

I also think that link will be tempted to set quade free from an attacking perspective but let genia pull him back if it gets out of hand. I expect a very attacking game plan to come into play as soon as the Reds get their hands on the ball.

Fixed :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the flashier the Reds play it will entice the Hurricanes to do the same. On current form that seems to be their down side so it could work.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Reddy!, I think your concern is valid, on the mental fatigue front. The mental focus and concentration demands this season on QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 have been enormous, just as one example. I was close to the line on Saturday and my group all thought QC (Quade Cooper) was looking a bit more tired and tense than usual. Most commentators put his poor kicks from hand down to the pressure of that game, I sense it might be a bit more a factor of what he has had to invest mentally to get to this streak - he has been at the centre of almost every win.

Very, very few teams can keep up what the Reds have been achieving for say 8+ games straight, without any lapse through mental fatigue. It was this game and the next where a major rotation and rest for 'the engine room' could have been risked, just.

I remember the heartbreak I felt in last year's equivalent match when I looked at the half-way score, then looked again 30 mins later. The remarkable rebirth of 2010 seemed to be dying. Whatever, it will be fascinating to see what transpires in Wellington, especially if Shipperley plays, and adventurous rotational experiments are taken elsewhere.

Interesting viewpoint. I thought Cooper was under added pressure because Mowen and Waugh and then Dennis had an obvious brief to be in his pocket all night. That effectively cut off quite a few of his options and the one time they didn't was because they were 100% committed to a dominant scrum, which left the Tahs ponderous midfield to close him down and that was a mistmatch and a half.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting viewpoint. I thought Cooper was under added pressure because Mowen and Waugh and then Dennis had an obvious brief to be in his pocket all night. That effectively cut off quite a few of his options and the one time they didn't was because they were 100% committed to a dominant scrum, which left the Tahs ponderous midfield to close him down and that was a mistmatch and a half.

Gnostic - I was certainly not arguing that these in-play factors as above weren't affecting QC (Quade Cooper)'s options and stresses. I see him up close every home game, and, this time, right from the get-go, we sensed there was something a bit wearied about him. And btw, this is not an 'apologist' input on my part. Cooper has foibles and strange lapses, no doubt. Rather a speculative comment re what it takes out of dynamic 10s (and others) to keep playing at this level and directing a game for 80 and still winning for 7-8 games straight. You just can't expect rock-sold consistency from top players week-in, week-out, over a long stretch, something will give sometime along that line.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought that his new kicking style may have had a bit to do with his performance. He seems to be intent on torpedoing the ball as far as possible where in previous games it seems to me he was more intent on finding space with his kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.