• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
He'll miss the first 2 Bledisloe and the first South African match of TRC. Australia play Argentina on the Gold Coast on September 13

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Should be plane sailing from here...
DB-speight-wide-20130214215320264123-620x349.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You know he's going to bump off that plane, dance around the landing crew and score in the corner........

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd imagine if he has a good super rugby season he will train with the wallabies squad until he's eligible.

Another good outside back option means we need to rely less on a certain exiled outside backs for RWC 2015.

Or captain punchers

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
University of Canberra Brumbies Squad to take on the Highlanders on Friday at Queenstown (alphabetical order) :
Allan Ala'alatoa , Fotu Auelua, Jarrad Butler, Sam Carter, Robbie Coleman, Lionel Cronje, Michael Dowsett, Matt Hawke, Conrad Hoffman, Rod Iona, Josh MannRea , Pat McCabe, Lachlan McCaffery, David Pocock, Leon Power, Clyde Rathbone, Siliva Siliva, Scott Sio, Andrew Smith, JP Smith, Michael Smith, Ruan Smith, Henry Speight, Tom Stainiforth, Haru Tetakawa, Jack Whetton, Stephan Van der Walt.

Looks like all the Wallabies have been given the game off. Not sure that's a good thing. I'd have taken Matt To'omua for half a game to partner Pat McCabe at 10/12 to help establish a combination that might be in place for the first few Super rounds until Christian returns. I think I'd also have taken Ben Alexander to gauge how he is going at Super level as distinct from Test level. He is extremely durable, and I don't think it would interfere with his season later on.

Who will be Robbie's backup at 15? And Andrew Smith's backup at 13 or McCabe's backup at 12? Seems like we might be a bit thin on the ground for reserve centres and full back with Christian and Moggy out injured and Kuridrani rested.I imaging Cronje, Hawke and Iona will fill in if there are any injuries in these spots. Rathbone has history in the centres and I believe Stephan can also play 13 but I've only ever seen him on the wing.

What position does Michael Smith play?

Where's Jordan Smiler?

Good to see Hawke and Iona get a go after playing so well for the Brumbies 7s. And really looking forward to seeing how good Jack Whetton turns out to be. He certainly has the pedigree.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Its great that Henry Speight finally has a date to be a possible Wallaby but really !!!! this is the most ridiculous and slow ruling the guy has been in Canberra for 3 seasons... and only return to play some local club rugby in NZ in the off season, surely this doesn’t effect his international prospects as he can have only one choice for to play for one nation....... the IRB are just holding people and the game back, its utterly ridiculous...

I look forward to seeing Henry get a run in a Wallabies jersey in 2014…

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His availability so late in the Rugby Championship makes his chances of being a Wallaby interesting.

You'd have to think that there would need to be a reasonable injury toll or the team performing poorly for him to be rushed into the side as soon as he is eligible.

A spot on the EOYT sounds most likely but even then he'll be hoping for the incumbents to have a slump in form or get injured to get a run.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Its great that Henry Speight finally has a date to be a possible Wallaby but really !!!! this is the most ridiculous and slow ruling the guy has been in Canberra for 3 seasons. and only return to play some local club rugby in NZ in the off season, surely this doesn’t effect his international prospects as he can have only one choice for to play for one nation... the IRB are just holding people and the game back, its utterly ridiculous.

He actually played ITM Cup for Waikato in 2011.

Agree it took so long but that's how the IRB rolls.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
His availability so late in the Rugby Championship makes his chances of being a Wallaby interesting.

You'd have to think that there would need to be a reasonable injury toll or the team performing poorly for him to be rushed into the side as soon as he is eligible.

A spot on the EOYT sounds most likely but even then he'll be hoping for the incumbents to have a slump in form or get injured to get a run.

This is the truth which is a shame as I think his the best winger in oz. Folau like talent.. But he will struggle to get a game unless we get pumped by the all blacks and saffas again then Link may just throw him in..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its great that Henry Speight finally has a date to be a possible Wallaby but really !!!! this is the most ridiculous and slow ruling the guy has been in Canberra for 3 seasons. and only return to play some local club rugby in NZ in the off season, surely this doesn’t effect his international prospects as he can have only one choice for to play for one nation... the IRB are just holding people and the game back, its utterly ridiculous.

As to the rules for qualification I think it requires 3 years continual residency. In other matters (eg for determining tax status) there are a number of tests for residence. For example if Speight terminated his lease on his residence in Australia when he went to NZ it would be hard to argue that he was resident in Australia for those 3 months. If he declared himself non-resident for tax purposes (so that his NZ earnings were not subject to Australian tax) that would seem pretty conclusive that he had broken a requirement for continual residency in Australia. On the other hand if he had retained a lease of a property in Australia and been resident for tax purposes he could perhaps have characterised the NZ period as just a working holiday.

All that is mere uninformed speculation on my part. I don't know the IRB criteria, nor do I know anything about Speight's arrangements. I'm just commenting on the sort of factors which may have affected the decision.

But it was certainly very drawn out, and yes I really look forward to seeing Henry in a Wallaby jersey!

Status
Not open for further replies.