• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's different because he'll be promoting a competitor. Not many businesses would take kindly to that, in or out of work hours.

Nevertheless, how refreshing to have several provincial coaches who create some interest. Link has been good at it for teh Reds, Jake at the Brumbies and Cheika at the Tahs is starting to develop a solid media profile.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Mudskipper

I think you've hit the nail on the head about restraint of trade - unless such restraint is permitted because the player waived his rights by signing his contract which had such a provision. (Though perhaps such a contract itself can be said to be in restraint.)

Also, I think he did not ask the NRL for permission so that he did not have to disobey an instruction from them, which may have had some legal wrinkle unfavourable to him should he have proceeded regardless.

As for his competence as a rugby league player to be a defensive coach - Muggleton, the old Parramatta Eel, was quite handy in that role in rugby union; so handy that he changed the coaching profile of professional clubs overseas.

After the defensive success of Australia at the 1999 RWC several English professional teams got league defence coaches. Under Muggleton the Wallabies gave up only one try in the tournament - by the dirt-trackers against the USA.

One thing that Aussie union players don't do as well as league players is to dominate in tackles. If a ball runner is heading north in league the defender wants to get him facing south on his back. You need ascendancy to do that and constant practice.

Whilst a union player would get pinged if he flopped on top of the ball carrier at the end of a tackle and looked to the referee for guidance about how long he could maintain the flop, as in league, the dominating of the tackled player praxis is still valid in our code.

It slows down the attacker's ball legally as he can't present the pill as quickly and as neatly - and if the tackled player is on his back it's difficult for him to protect the ball from the second man in defending player.

Buderus could go OK at the Brumbies if he is able to do the gig.

PS - I recall now that leaguie Chris Anderson got a head coaching gig in the Celtic League in rugby union.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
According to ABC the NRL will block this appointment due to no clearance being given from the NRL and that any fee received by Buderus needs to be included in the salary cap as a third party agreement.

So any part time job an NRL player gets is added to their salary caps? or just the ones they disagree with

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee, this restraint of trade is small change compared to a salary cap, which plenty of people with more knowledge than I believe is a blatant restraint of trade.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
They actually need to prove that he is being paid first... and what and when... the NRL won't have this information as it hasn't happened. They’ve taken what could have been viewed in the media as a positive for NRL skills and turned it into a public negative like they NRL always does... bull in a china shop mentality… not that I give a toss about the NRL...

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
The notion that any revenue gained by Buderus as a Brumbies coach would count towards Newcastle's salary cap is ludicrous, and I suspect would be easily canned in court.
Don't understand what the problem is with an NRL player trying to build some sort of future for himself.
This NRL mob should get laid once in a while.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
The notion that any revenue gained by Buderus as a Brumbies coach would count towards Newcastle's salary cap is ludicrous, and I suspect would be easily canned in court.
Don't understand what the problem is with an NRL player trying to build some sort of future for himself.
This NRL mob should get laid once in a while.

Exactly. Buderus is approaching the end of his career as a player (this move actually suggests he thinks that will be soon) and he's looking for opportunities to remain active in sport after football. To block him is just petty especially to player who has been such a servant to their game.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
So coaches from different codes are permitted to collaborate, but a player can't help coach another code?
How often do the Rebels and Carlton train together for example.

Back end his contract with the Brumbies. A favorite tactic by the NRL clubs. Nothing this year. Everything next year when his contract with the Knights finishes. This year is pro Bono and has no impact on the Salary Cap,

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
After this charade, it is fair to say that if you play in the NRL, the NRL owns you.
Even cleaning windscreens at traffic light would be considered as a third party arrangement.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Even though this plan has fallen through, the media exposure for the Brumbies is invaluable.

Jake the master strikes again!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still can't understand why the NRL's first instinct is to think he is promoting a rival sport rather than promoting the NRL by the fact that he's still an NRL player and his skills are in demand to help out another sport (entirely during the preseason).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know this isn't the standpoint the NRL have taken but don't you think it's perfectly fair to ask a player that you're paying a full wage to work in Newcastle is preseason (considered to be the most intensive time of year) to not drive all the way to Canberra and back to coach.

I mean if the dude was playing for the Raiders I'd be fuming but it's Newcastle, 10 hours both ways of extra stress on an old body in preseason.

Not to mention they have a policy on apply for external work that the fellow decided to completely ignore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know this isn't the standpoint the NRL have taken but don't you think it's perfectly fair to ask a player that you're paying a full wage to work in Newcastle is preseason (considered to be the most intensive time of year) to not drive all the way to Canberra and back to coach.

I mean if the dude was playing for the Raiders I'd be fuming but it's Newcastle, 10 hours both ways of extra stress on an old body in preseason.

Not to mention they have a policy on apply for external work that the fellow decided to completely ignore.

I'd be guessing he'd fly from Newcastle to Canberra.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
"I've stuffed up and feel full-on silly," Buderus told News Limited.
"It's just a complete misunderstanding on my part.
"An opportunity arose to have a chance to do a bit of different sort of coaching in a consultancy capacity and get a bit of experience and I seriously didn't fully understand the other side of it.
"It was just an oversight and maybe it's a case of players being better educated at what we can and can't do. I know I've learnt a very harsh lesson today."
The NRL released a statement that said officials could not see how Buderus - a former Australian and NSW captain - could promote a rival code.
No Australian Super Rugby players are allowed to sign on as coaches in any capacity with rugby league teams while they are still playing.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/brumbies-hopes-of-bagging-buderus-fading-20121108-2918d.html#ixzz2BgIFDBpx

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
By 5pm the NRL had stepped in to ensure the coaching job would never eventuate
''We're happy to work any way we can without upsetting anybody,'' White told The Canberra Times.
''We want to do it in the right manner [to recruit Buderus as a coach], and if we haven't done it in the right manner we apologise.
''For a guy who is going to retire in a year's time, it's a bit of professional development for him and a massive opportunity for us. It's a win-win situation for everybody.
''The NRL has been professional longer than us and for them to promote life after rugby league is fantastic.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/brumbies-hopes-of-bagging-buderus-fading-20121108-2918d.html#ixzz2BgJMcqke

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The NRL's position is understandable, they cant have star players being interveiwed in the oppositions gear. I buderus had of done it low key then maybe it would have been ok. But once he was in the press in brumbies kit the NRL was always going to pull whatever levers they could.

BTW, acting NRL CEO Shane Mattiske has a rugby background. he was a very handy subbies player but I doubt that will get much airplay until he makes a decision that upsets the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.