• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Do you have any suggestions as the games against Samoa A and Tonga A has been Colby.

Who backs up Colby and a chance to groom someone going forward.

Josh Hitchins from Vikings or maybe Michael Smith from Wests. Left field would be Robbie Abel from Royals but he is predominantly a hooker. Plenty of local talent to back up Colby.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
When the sponsorship with Huawei fell through I was quite concerned, but I have to say now that it is one of the best things that could have happened. Whoever came up with the idea of the Brumbies partnership with University of Canberra is a genius.

While there is the obvious benefit to the University of having their medical science students learn in a professional sports environment, I think it goes beyond that. Every year thousands of new students arrive with diverse backgrounds and culture, and with very little in common. The support of the Brumbies gives them that common focus, and would assist greatly in assimilating new students into University life, and their "belonging" to the community.

Saturday's game against the Waratahs really showed me the benefits to the Brumbies, which go far beyond the sponsorship dollars. Firstly there is the atmosphere at the ground. Brumbies home games have always had a good atmosphere, but the addition of all those Uni students has really raised it to a new level. This makes the game more enjoyable for everyone there. Just see the comments on the match thread of confirmation of this. A great atmosphere can make an average game good, and a good game memorable.

Beyond that, though. I was thinking of the new fans being created. Many of these students have probably never been to a rugby game before, so we are seeing lots of new fans for rugby in general, and the Brumbies in particular.

I also realised that many of the students are international. That means, at the end of each academic year, there will be a diaspora of Brumby fans to countries all over South-east Asia. It is the beginning of an international fan base for the Brumbies.

I don't think we can over-estimate the importance of Jake White's determination to engage to entire local community for this to be successful.

Obviously this model would not work everywhere, with Canberra's small size and proximity of the stadium to the University being major factors. I could see difficulties trying to reproduce it in Sydney and Brisbane, but is a great example of thinking outside the accepted paradigm to engage new fans and grow the team.

Sorry for the long post, and it is a long way into the partnership to be raising it, but I just wanted to express how happy I am that my favourite team is involved in this set-up.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
When the sponsorship with Huawei fell through I was quite concerned, but I have to say now that it is one of the best things that could have happened. Whoever came up with the idea of the Brumbies partnership with University of Canberra is a genius.

While there is the obvious benefit to the University of having their medical science students learn in a professional sports environment, I think it goes beyond that. Every year thousands of new students arrive with diverse backgrounds and culture, and with very little in common. The support of the Brumbies gives them that common focus, and would assist greatly in assimilating new students into University life, and their "belonging" to the community.

Saturday's game against the Waratahs really showed me the benefits to the Brumbies, which go far beyond the sponsorship dollars. Firstly there is the atmosphere at the ground. Brumbies home games have always had a good atmosphere, but the addition of all those Uni students has really raised it to a new level. This makes the game more enjoyable for everyone there. Just see the comments on the match thread of confirmation of this. A great atmosphere can make an average game good, and a good game memorable.

Beyond that, though. I was thinking of the new fans being created. Many of these students have probably never been to a rugby game before, so we are seeing lots of new fans for rugby in general, and the Brumbies in particular.

I also realised that many of the students are international. That means, at the end of each academic year, there will be a diaspora of Brumby fans to countries all over South-east Asia. It is the beginning of an international fan base for the Brumbies.

I don't think we can over-estimate the importance of Jake White's determination to engage to entire local community for this to be successful.

Obviously this model would not work everywhere, with Canberra's small size and proximity of the stadium to the University being major factors. I could see difficulties trying to reproduce it in Sydney and Brisbane, but is a great example of thinking outside the accepted paradigm to engage new fans and grow the team.

Sorry for the long post, and it is a long way into the partnership to be raising it, but I just wanted to express how happy I am that my favourite team is involved in this set-up.
Agreed. If I could like your post more than once, I would have.

something

Jim Clark (26)

Awesome post, i reckon it could happen in Brisbane as well. Even though it is a bigger population, the two big uni's (UQ in st lucia & QUT in CBD) are only a 5 minute drive from suncorp/ballymore. The Reds already have a pretty good relationship with QLD uni but giving student benefits would really boost numbers - especially for the internationals as u mentioned! never underestimate the students!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies are on a booze ban.........

Brumbies go dry in bid for South Africa double

Date
March 14, 2013
Chris Dutton
Sports Writer, The Canberra Times
The ACT Brumbies are using intermittent booze bans to boost their hopes of making the Super Rugby finals and help them chase two wins in South Africa.
Brumbies skipper Ben Mowen revealed the squad has agreed to stay away from alcohol until the senior players decide otherwise in the coming weeks.
While the Canberra Raiders deal with Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson's latest off-field indiscretions, the Brumbies are using their own player-driven policies to fuel their play-off ambitions.
Mowen is on a self-imposed booze ban for the entire Super Rugby season as he chases Wallabies selection.
And his teammates have periodically joined in as they prepare for the sternest test of their season so far - a clash against the Durban Sharks at Kings Park in Durban on Sunday.
The Brumbies players abstained from alcohol for the first two weeks of the season and secured two wins before their bye.
When senior players met to discuss the two-game trip to South Africa, they decided to make week one alcohol free. There's no set time frame and the policy won't be extended for every game of the year.
If the Brumbies score a win in Durban for the first time in six years, the players could be given the green light to relax.
But Mowen said the trip to South Africa was all about business. ''Basically the way our culture works around [alcohol] is that we always decide [if guys drink] determined on how we're going,'' Mowen said.
''On these types of tours … there's not that much drinking anyway. But if we say we're off it until otherwise, the guys are really good at adhering to that and it makes it easy.
''We might stop on Saturday night, but we might not come out in the shape we like and we might stick to it.
''The guys understand that whatever decision is made is done for the best performance.
''When you're trying to achieve something, it's not a danger for us and that's nice … this group is extremely motivated.''
The Brumbies spent their first day in South Africa adjusting to the time zone after 20 hours of travel on Monday.
Some players hit the golf course, others went go-karting and some relaxed at the team hotel.
But their bid for success started when coach Jake White put them through a tough training session to start the week.
The Sharks were finalists last year but finished runners-up to the Waikato Chiefs.
They have started their season with three wins, but have failed to score a try in the past two weeks.
The Brumbies are also undefeated after three games and sit at the top of the Australian conference. They have conceded just 25 points in three games - the least in the competition.
And their aim for the next two weeks is simple - win both games against the Sharks and the Cape Town Stormers.
The Brumbies won one of their two games in South Africa last year.
But that one victory against the Johannesburg Lions was the start of a six-game winning streak away from Canberra.
If the Brumbies beat the Sharks, they will set a record for the longest winning streak on the road in Super Rugby history. ''We won't be happy unless we win both of them,'' Mowen said.
''The challenge of the Super competition is that you need to be able to adapt your style to be able to play against Australian, South African and Kiwi sides. ''This will be the biggest test of our season so far. The Sharks have been building into the season with wins. The mentality in this group is clear. We know going up against last year's finalists at Shark Park on a Saturday afternoon is tough and these next couple of weeks will be one of the biggest challenges we face this year.''

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Why can rugby players not abstain from alcohol for the season?

Alcohol and high performance donlt mix. It has been proven over and over by medical science. I have a friend who is a sport scientist and she reckons you take a ig step back as a top athlete if you just have a couple of beers.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Why can rugby players not abstain from alcohol for the season?

Alcohol and high performance donlt mix. It has been proven over and over by medical science. I have a friend who is a sport scientist and she reckons you take a ig step back as a top athlete if you just have a couple of beers.

I agree whole heartedly... but let's face it. There is a culture of alcohol and rugby that dates back decades.

A lot of these 'professionals' with huge pay packets at 20-25 years old must find it very hard to abstain from Alcohol as they watch their mates at Uni go out and get p*ssed 5 out of 7 nights.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So you're totally against this?

Wallabies-Sharpe-and-Moore-with-Cook-Cup-ARU-300x169.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It looks as though the Brumbies will develop an even stronger South African flavour in the future with the University of Canberra introducing the Jake White Scholarship.........

The Jake White scholarship will be made up of:
  • A fully funded full-time university degree for up to three years;
  • A reimbursement of $1500 for relocating;
  • Subsidised campus accomodation with a total of up to $5000 a year; and
  • Internship opportunities with the Brumbies.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to the Brumbies on their excellent win over the Sharks & for their historical 7th consecutive away win. Their play is very watchable.

White, Fisher, Larkham & all the support staff have done a superb job building the side from where they sat in 2011. A blueprint for other struggling sides as to how to instill confidence in young players to "buy into" the style of play the team has trained to exhibit.

Surely there are a number of Brumbies players who are making a compelling case for Wallabies selection.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
I'm interstate so won't get to see full ame til Wednesday, but just watched th highlights online. I reckon Bobby Dwyer can insert clip of lead up to the Tommua try in every article he writes this year, and update his training manual whilst he's at it. Won't be too many better examples on what he's on about regarding support in depth and numbers than that sequence.
Fuckin lovely to watch.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
<Quote>The Jake White scholarship will be made up of:

A fully funded full-time university degree for up to three years;
A reimbursement of $1500 for relocating;
Subsidised campus accomodation with a total of up to $5000 a year; and
Internship opportunities with the Brumbies.<\quote>

Ought to get a Belconnen butcher to chuck in 5kg of raw steak a week, just to sweater the deal!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Any injury updates for Mogg, White and Fotu? Are the brumbies sending over replacement players?

Won't know more until later today once they've settled in Cape Town.

I do know Andrew Smith has come back - he had a head knock from the Waratahs game.
Josh Mann-Rea went over as cover for Moore's back injury before the Shorks game.

Status
Not open for further replies.