• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure if his questions has been raised elsewhere. but where do the Ponies fans want to see Paddy McCabe slot into the backline?

I wouldn't mind seeing him have a crack at Smith's outside centre position.

I think he'd thrive having a distributing inside centre next to him with the little extra room at 13. Strong enough and tenacious in defence. He could certainly answer the Wallabies questions at 13.

Thoughts?
No doubt his best spots are 13 and 15 (at super level). He can't really take 15 from Mogg, so it looks like it will have to be 13, because you don't just leave him out. I'd expect him from the bench for a few weeks and then rotate 13 between him and Smith.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I think McCabe will go into a rotation with some of the players, I really can't fault Smith at the moment and I guess in the rotation Rathbone might have a crack at 13 McCabe might. Then you may see McCabe come in at 12 and Leo go to 10 or to 15 depending on the teams they are playing. He might be a bench player for cover (where he should start at the moment) he can cover 11,12, 13, 14, 15.

I dont think all the starting players will not be injuried this season so I'm guessing he will have to spend his time on the bench and force himself into the starting lineup.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
No even before McCabe got injuried, Larkham liked the To'omua, Lilo combination the most. But Lilo 10 and McCabe 12 is another option, and that's it lots of options is great. I would hate to lose To'omua to another team because we couldn't fit him on the pitch. Greedy I know.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
No doubt his best spots are 13 and 15 (at super level). He can't really take 15 from Mogg, so it looks like it will have to be 13, because you don't just leave him out. I'd expect him from the bench for a few weeks and then rotate 13 between him and Smith

Has he ever actually played consistently at 13 though? I think 13 would fit his style of play quite nicely. Particularly if Lilo is at 12.

Dean Hyde

Allen Oxlade (6)
No even before McCabe got injuried, Larkham liked the To'omua, Lilo combination the most. But Lilo 10 and McCabe 12 is another option, and that's it lots of options is great. I would hate to lose To'omua to another team because we couldn't fit him on the pitch. Greedy I know.
I would rather loose To'omua than McCabe.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where McCabe slots back in when he returns is a good problem for the Brumbies to have. It means they have depth in the backline.

Realistically you could have a To'omua, Tomane, Lilo, Mcabe, Rathbone and Mogg backline. Or there could be a Lilo, Tomane, McCabe, Rathbone, Speight, Mogg backline. Or a To'omua, Tomane, Lilo, Smith, McCabe and Mogg backline. There are multiple backlines the Brumbies could have that wouldn't miss a beat. And I haven't even considered guys like Kuridrani or Coleman yet. Or the possibility of McCabe at fullback.

As I said, a good problem to have.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Where McCabe slots back in when he returns is a good problem for the Brumbies to have. It means they have depth in the backline.

Realistically you could have a To'omua, Tomane, Lilo, Mcabe, Rathbone and Mogg backline. Or there could be a Lilo, Tomane, McCabe, Rathbone, Speight, Mogg backline. Or a To'omua, Tomane, Lilo, Smith, McCabe and Mogg backline. There are multiple backlines the Brumbies could have that wouldn't miss a beat. And I haven't even considered guys like Kuridrani or Coleman yet. Or the possibility of McCabe at fullback.

As I said, a good problem to have.

There is a lot of versatility there, that's quite obvious. But I have the impression that neither Jake nor Bernie will be unnecessarily chopping and changing positions unlike some other Aust provinces, so I would expect to continue to see the same backline as present for some time, especially now that Pat has suffered another injury. The wing is the only place at the moment where there have been some changes. Where that all leaves Pat when he does return is a mystery to me. 13 might be the best option, but I would be loathe to drop Andrew Smith on current form.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we look at what the backline can be with McCabe

To'omua, Rathbone, McCabe, Smith, Speight, Mogg
Benefits: Crashball McCabe, 10-12 channel isn't a gaping hole in defense
Draw backs: Lose Lealiifano, no long pass from 12
Lealiifano, Rathbone, McCabe, Smith, Speight, Mogg
Benefits: Crashball McCabe, 10-12 channel isn't a gaping hole in defense
Draw backs: Larkham prefers To'omua at 10, no long pass from 12
To'omua, McCabe, Lealiifano, Smith, Speight, Mogg
Benefits: McCabe is fast, good defense on wing
Draw backs: Rathbone knows where to be in both attack and defense, two wingers that deserve to be on the field are not
To'omua, Rathbone, Lealiifano, Smith, McCabe, Mogg
Benefits: McCabe is fast, good defense on wing
Draw backs: Speight's footwork is incredible, he can score tries from nothing, two wingers that deserve to be on the field are not
To'omua, Rathbone, Lealiifano, McCabe, Speight, Mogg
Benefits: Crashball works well at 13, if McCabe works on his footwork he will break the line a LOT more in this position
Draw backs: Smith attacks really well and already breaks the line and distributes well to the wing, McCabe might never improve footwork
To'omua, Rathbone, Lealiifano, Smith, Speight, McCabe
Benefits: McCabe knows where to be at fullback and defends incredibly well
Draw backs: Jesse Mogg is developing incredibly well and deserves to be on the field ahead of McCabe and Coleman.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would've agreed a month ago but Rathbone has been SOLID.

He shut down a couple of Reds' counter attacks in round one with some excellent defence, and has looked like his old self with ball in hand.......

I'm sure there will be plenty of rotation this year, and it's a great thing for the Brumbies to have these kinds of selection issues.........

Status
Not open for further replies.