• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
UC expects 'significant' return from deal
BY CHRIS DUTTON
01 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM
University of Canberra vice-chancellor Stephen Parker insists academic funding will not be affected by the decision to become the ACT Brumbies' major sponsor for the rugby union season.

And Professor Parker expects the university to get a ''very significant return on our investment'' when the Super Rugby season begins on February 24.

The university was unveiled yesterday as the Brumbies' naming rights sponsor after the two parties agreed to a one-year deal.

While Professor Parker and Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan were reluctant to reveal the financial details, it is believed to be similar to the $1million a season Chinese technology company
Huawei pledged last year.

Professor Parker defended the financial commitment and said there would be no impact on any academic programs.

''There will be absolute nothing taken away from any academic activity, we have a sponsorship budget and we're staying inside that,'' Professor Parker said.

''In terms of the university's profile, extra students and opportunities, research grants and other commercial opportunities, we think this will repay us a very significant return on our investment.

''Most of the reaction I've had has been positive. We've grown 40 per cent in the past four years. This sponsorship isn't about taking anything away from anyone, it's about growing.''

As part of the sponsorship, University of Canberra students will have an opportunity for special ticket offers and the Brumbies hope the association with the university boosts their following.

There is also a possibility the Brumbies will relocate its base to the university in the coming years and the club will offer a wide range of internships and opportunities for students studying media, physiotherapy, sports medicine and coaching science degrees.

The Brumbies have 7500 members and will play their opening match of the season against the Western Force at Canberra Stadium on February 24.

Mr Fagan said the university's logo would be exposed to more than four million viewers in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa during the season.

''At the core of this relationship is wanting to engage in the student population and part of that is to ensure they can get to our games and support the team,'' Mr Fagan said.

Professor Parker said despite the sponsorship, Brumbies players would receive no special treatment should they apply for a university degree.

''We can never guarantee a place to a student, they have to be academically ready,'' he said.

''We are an elite athlete-friendly university. We have special procedures and flexibility. We have many athletes from the AIS and other teams and certainly the Brumbies players will benefit from that degree of relationship... it's all advantage to the university and there are no resources being moved from any academic activity.''

S

spooony

OI! OI! What is going on here. Trying to rob our players again
ACT Brumbies coach Jake White wants to use a new alliance with the University of Canberra as the extra bait to lure South Africa's most talented juniors to the capital.
The Brumbies have boosted their immediate finances on the eve of the Super Rugby competition by announcing a one-year naming rights sponsorship with the University of Canberra, worth an estimated $1million.
But White, who guided South Africa to the 2007 World Cup, is determined to convert the relationship into a long-term gain for his playing roster.
White plans to capitalise on the strong connection between rugby and education in South Africa. As a former Springboks coach, he still holds a lot of influence on where South Africa's rising stars choose to play.
''I would love to attract some boys to come and play rugby in Australia,'' White said.
''Every day I get calls from dads [in South Africa] asking where I suggest their kid can play.
''It shouldn't be underestimated a lot of South Africans will see this link and see it as an opportunity [to come and try to play for the Brumbies].
''Our challenge is to make sure we at the Brumbies do our homework ... it can't just be a sponsorship arrangement, it has to be a genuine boost and partnership.''
When White signed a four-year deal to coach the Brumbies last May, he expressed his desire to recruit South African schoolboy stars and get them to train in the club's development programs.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new.../uc-deal-may-lure-south-africans/2439627.aspx

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This is a very smart partnership.

UC offers some excellent courses in the sporting areas of science, media, law, coaching and nutrition. The Brumbies and AIS will promote these and if the uni gets another 40 students they will recoup their sponsorship money.

Apart from the money the Brumbies will also be able to use the uni's facilities and research in the aforementioned areas of study.. This hasn't been a negative for USyd Rugby.

If they were really enterprising they could establish a UC rugby club that would play in the Shute Shield. It would a good place to park their juniors and 2nd tier players. Plus the friendly ATAR cut-offs will be attractive to many.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
UC offers some excellent courses in the sporting areas of science, media, law, coaching and nutrition.

Apart from the money the Brumbies will also be able to use the uni's facilities and research in the aforementioned areas of study.. This hasn't been a negative for USyd Rugby.

If they were really enterprising they could establish a UC rugby club that would play in the Shute Shield. It would a good place to park their juniors and 2nd tier players.

To the best of my knowledge, Torn, there is no utilisation of "the uni's facilities and research" by Sydney Uni Rugby Club. In practice such linkages do not occur. And I will be very surprised if there is real interaction between the Brumbies and University of Canberra researchers. It just makes good copy for a joint press release.

I also don't think that your suggestion of the Brumbies having a team in the Shute Shield badged as the University of Canberra has legs. The Sydney clubs would never agree to a Canberra club coming back into their competition with just First Grade and First Colts teams as previously occurred, and I don't think the John I. Dent clubs would think much of the Brumbies "park[ing] their juniors and 2nd tier players" in a UC Club and then raiding the local catchment for enough players to make up seven grades.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
pleased to hear my money is being well spent

Don't worry... all your tax dollars are still in Western Australia... Have a look around…

Every government agency advertises, especially ones that sell a product like Tertiary education... Education is a massively competitive business... all Australian Universities are chasing foreign students.

Furthermore another of the Brumbies supporters is the ACT Government and has been for a long time... The Brumbies bring good tourism dollars into the ACT and soon will help do so though education services at UC...

AS for some other criticism in the media from The National Tertiary Education Union, building lab and hiring a few staff won’t build a bigger educational business. That’s very naive and is what has got universities into trouble in the past. UC needs to create international profile and get more clients/students.

In many ways UC media exposure by means of an international sporting team to create interest is far better than buying standard media space in different media regions. In reality they couldn't reach that many people without a vehicle like the Brumbies.

Now every photo & every video grab of the Brumbies, be it press, web, Youtube or sports broadcast throughout the world will expose the viewer to the UC brand… that’s value, that’s smart, that’s visionary thinking and that will grow and build UC internationally…

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Sports broadcasts will hear 'University of Canberra Brumbies'.

And you thought CA Technologies Brumbies was a mouthful..

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am surprised that link isn't there. Bruce. I know of several research areas at the Cumberland campus that would be very beneficial to all sport's teams. Maybe that is the nature of researchers; print and move on to the next.

Some of the facilities that Uni rugby do enjoy are the gyms, playing fields, high tech club rooms, medical, physio, discounted accommmodation and even academic tutors. My point is that if UC and the Briumbies could replicate what you guys are doing then they will attract student athletes and develop a strong rugby club.

and I don't think the John I. Dent clubs would think much of the Brumbies "park[ing] their juniors and 2nd tier players" in a UC Club and then raiding the local catchment

I'm seeing a touch of ironic content here. To be fair though, they are talking about recruiting from interstate and overseas, which can only be good for ACT rugby.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Around 10,000 students at UC this year, only a couple of kms from Canberra Stadium.

If the entry deals for UC Students they mention are pretty good, we could be in for some good sized crowds this year.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Around 10,000 students at UC this year, only a couple of kms from Canberra Stadium.

If the entry deals for UC Students they mention are pretty good, we could be in for some good sized crowds this year.

Yep... there is a lot of student accommodation around there, and more on its way...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am surprised that link isn't there. Bruce. I know of several research areas at the Cumberland campus that would be very beneficial to all sport's teams. Maybe that is the nature of researchers; print and move on to the next.

Some of the facilities that Uni rugby do enjoy are the gyms, playing fields, high tech club rooms, medical, physio, discounted accommmodation and even academic tutors. My point is that if UC and the Briumbies could replicate what you guys are doing then they will attract student athletes and develop a strong rugby club.

I'm seeing a touch of ironic content here. To be fair though, they are talking about recruiting from interstate and overseas, which can only be good for ACT rugby.

In my time at UQ rugby club I was involved in quite a few student programs. I think we had sports psychologist and HM students involved at different times doing research assignments. Not that it helped me much.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sports broadcasts will hear 'University of Canberra Brumbies'.

And you thought CA Technologies Brumbies was a mouthful..

Couldnt they just say "The UC Brumbies"? with the UC sounding like "You see" it could make way for some creative person to come up with some handy advertising or sloguns for the UC & the Brumbies combined.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The ANU and UC are starting to run joint courses and sharing resources. This is the real future of UC and ANU partnership for education and research.

For those of you not familiar with the 2 universities UC is like UTS and ANU is like Sydney UNI but bigger

Actually, the ANU is much smaller than Sydney Uni in terms of students - the ANU has around 1/3 of the under grads of Syd Uni, and about 1/2 of the post grads of Syd Uni.

ANU is more attractive for a lot of post grads - it is the most recognised uni for academic research in Aus (but the gap to the next couple isn't too huge - the usual culprits are there, ANU, USyd, Uni of Melbourne, UQ).

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

I find the UC sponsorship slightly disappointing myself. I doubt there'd be any "academic collaboration" or assistance really from UC, and the sponsorship money would not be as good as a large company (like HSBC or St George). The best they can hope for is scholarships for players - which I think is a great thing, player development wise. In saying that, it's no doubt hard for the Brumbies to find a high paying corporate sponsor, as Canberra is really a public service city and is the smallest of the cities hosting Super sides in Aus, which makes finding good sponsorships challenging for them.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
That is unless you pronounce it 'Wah way'
Bruce was kind of close with "who are" for pinyin hua - possibly "hugh wah" pronounced Australian style (ie quickly like the shortening of good day) might be aceptable but you will find many regional variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.