• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fans get to size up and join Brumbies

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE, RUGBY UNION
08 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM

ACT Brumbies fans will have a chance to see how they size up to Australia hooker Steve Moore and test their passing skills against Matt To'omua.

The Brumbies are holding a meet-the-players day, in conjunction with the first national registration day, at Brumbies headquarters in Griffith on Saturday at 12pm.

All of the Brumbies, including Wallabies Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe, will be there to sign autographs and toss the ball around.

It's a day for everyone, not just the children, to sign up for their team for the 2012 season.

Every junior who signs up will receive their junior registered player card, which also allows them free entry to Brumbies home games.

Brumbies development manager Russell Ingram said the day would have a ''family feel'' to it.

''We'll probably have a couple of pass the ball and bits and pieces that the players will be involved with,'' he said. ''Each of the senior players are aligned to a junior club in Canberra as well so they'll be involved in their particular club that they're aligned with or playing with locally.

''So it's just trying to get that close connection between the players and the clubs, that's where it starts, they've all come from that base as well, they were juniors once. They love those days as well, to be involved and give something back.''
  • National registration day
    At Brumbies HQ, Griffith
    February 18, 12pm-2pm.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tomane 'bit lost' in return to union
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
08 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM

NRL convert Joseph Tomane admits he felt lost playing his first game for the ACT Brumbies and says patience is the key to making a successful transition into Super Rugby.

And while Tomane insists it is ''close to impossible'' to immediately return to the form which saw him become an Australian schoolboy rugby star, he is confident of having a major impact this year.

Former Gold Coast Titan Tomane got his first taste of professional rugby union when he suited up for the Brumbies in their trial against the Western Force in Darwin.

But after being thrust into an unfamiliar role at inside centre, Tomane conceded there was ample room for improvement before he reaches his peak.

''There were parts of the game [in Darwin] where I felt a bit lost, but all that will come back with time,'' Tomane said.

''I think it's going to take a little while, the game has changed so much since I last played.

''Trying to pick up from where I left is close to impossible, it's a completely different game.

''But I've got the coaching staff around me and with their experience I'm confident I'll be able to pick it up quickly.

''It's just important for me to stay patient and not rush ahead of myself when I'm not ready.''

For the past four years Tomane had tried to establish himself in the NRL with the Melbourne Storm and then the Titans.

Before switching to rugby league, he was an Australian schoolboy rugby union star and excelled at fullback or on the wing.

Now it is hoped a slimmed-down Tomane can add stiff defence and a powerful running game to the Brumbies' midfield when the season begins on February 24.

Tomane has already lost five kilograms in his bid to secure a spot in coach Jake White's regular rotation. But it remains unclear where he fits into the back line.

White and backs coach Stephen Larkham have been testing different combinations in preparation for the round-one clash with the Western Force at Canberra Stadium.

Tomane is not a traditional ball-playing inside centre. But his direct and destructive running game and supreme defence make him an attractive option to add starch to the back line.

The 21-year-old was so keen to join the Brumbies he arrived in Canberra before the Titans' NRL season had finished last year.

But he is still unsure whether he is suited to fill the No.12 spot and the Brumbies have two more trials to figure out where Tomane fits in.

''It would be good for me to learn a bit more of playing at number 12,'' Tomane said. ''But I'm obviously going to be more comfortable where I've played at outside centre, on the wing or at fullback.

''It was a completely different game for me at inside centre because you've got to call the plays and be more dominant.

''You've got to communicate with everyone and do a lot more organising which is something I'm not used to.''

The Brumbies flew to Cairns yesterday ahead of their clash with the defending champion Queensland Reds.

They will return to Canberra on Sunday and play their last trial match against an ACT XV side on February 16.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I see that Fotu Auelua arrives in Canberra tomorrow.

I wonder what shape he is in.

man-silhouette-md.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has anyone received thier memberships via mail yet? Was told they were sending them out 2 weeks ago.

I don't think anyone in my family has received theirs yet...

There was obviously a delay with the late sponsorship announcement...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies trial vs ACT XV on Feb 16 has been moved from Viking Park to West Belconnen Leagues Club at Kippax due to Viking Park being unavailable.

Kick off at 7pm.

Sent from Nokia 5110

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I rate him as a player, but Mowen's apparent frontrunner status for captain must be going down like cold bucket of sick with a few with wallaby caps that have actually been there for a season or more...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I know. Can't be good. Like the new kid in class who sits up the front and becomes the teachers favourite.

The only lucky thing I suppose is there aren't too many senior Brumbies with Wallaby caps this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.