• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I rate him as a player, but Mowen's apparent frontrunner status for captain must be going down like cold bucket of sick with a few with wallaby caps that have actually been there for a season or more...

Moore is about the only other candidate isn't he? Maybe Alexander but he doesn't really strike me as a captain.

They're the only 2 that could feel a little hard done by.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I rate him as a player, but Mowen's apparent frontrunner status for captain must be going down like cold bucket of sick with a few with wallaby caps that have actually been there for a season or more...

I think it goes along with the complete fresh start that was imposed by White coming in. No use in continuing with a system that was so clearly broken and any "seniority" as such was directly associated with said failed system. Better to start fresh and really earn the spots. I say that from my biased view as a long time member of the Mowen fan club, as perhaps the most underated backrower in Oz.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And interesting that McCabe went to the season launch..... or is that really reading to much into the who debate?

I'd day he's one of the candidates, but highly unlikely...

Particularly as he won't be available until round 3 at best...

His injury is why he went to the launch instead of any of the other players...

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Does anyone know in Mowen is actually out there pushing his own barrow for captaincy? Or is this all a bit of a beat up? I'd just be surprised if he turned up and was campaigning for it

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Mowen had been discussed as a future Waratahs Captain when he was there so I am not at all surprised if people in Pony land have recruited him specifically with an eye on his leadership credentials. I doubt very much that he would push his own barrow so to speak. In any event given the "clean slate" at the Brumbies why would he need to?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies lads will be pumped for tonights trial v reds... Great opportunity to show what they have built in the off season under Jake, Laurie & Bernie... Go get them boys... Is there the a breakdown list on the 2 teams the brumbies will run each half?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This of course has to happen to the one irreplaceable player in the team...

White has less not Moore at No.2

AAP

Jake White has his first major headache as Brumbies coach with a worrying shoulder injury to irreplaceable Wallabies rake Stephen Moore creating a hooking crisis.

Twelve days out from their Super Rugby opener against the Western Force in Canberra, the inexperienced Anthony Hegarty is the only fit hooker in the Brumbies young squad.

Moore lasted just 12 minutes in the ACT-based side's 27-20 trial loss to the Queensland Reds in Cairns on Saturday night as he sustained suspected AC damage to his right shoulder.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The 65-Test forward will have scans after flying back to Canberra on Sunday but even the detection of minor damage will rule him out of the season-opener on Friday week.

"It was a dull pain and it just feels numb," Moore said. "The doc says it could be anything from two to 12 weeks but he thinks it's not too bad."

Compounding matters for South African White, his other Wallabies front-rower, Ben Alexander, also failed to see out the first half and will undergo tests for an elbow problem.

The Brumbies have more cover in the propping department than hooker where new recruit Siliva Siliva is still a month from returning from knee surgery.

Local product Hegarty, 24, played out the last 68 minutes in Cairns as the Brumbies put up an admirable fight against the more-experienced Super Rugby champions.

White is crossing his fingers on Moore but is set to call Australian Rugby Union high-performance manager David Nucifora to enquire about conscripting another hooker from the new national academy.

"I don't have another one (to choose)," the 2007 World Cup-winning mentor told AAP. "

"I have to phone the ARU and see what I do next - if he's not available what do I do next?

"If we are going to prepare for (round one) I want to be able to get in some guy who knows what we're going to do."

Not only is Moore the best No.2 in the country, the 29-year-old boasts 84 Super caps to easily be the most experienced player in a rebuilding squad (average age 22) that lost 13 regulars after a 13th-placed finish last season.

Waratahs No.8 recruit Ben Mowen now appears a certainty to become the Brumbies captain, especially after leading the team on and calling the shots in a stop-start Cairns encounter dominated by the whistle of referee Angus Gardner.

There were plenty of good signs for White, particularly the effort of his youthful second-half side which were competitive against an experienced Reds outfit boasting Wallabies big guns Will Genia, James Horwill and Digby Ioane.

Wingers Joe Tomane and Henry Speight produced some eye-catching first-half breaks but poor backline handling cost the visitors on the Reds line, which flanker Michael Hooper finally breached in the second half.

"I thought we rushed it a bit (in attack)," White said. "We tried to be a little bit over-eager.

"That comes, I'm not unhappy about that. We had some opportunities to score some tries, and the Reds are a very good defensive side."

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
We may see this guy step up Scott Sio, But Ant Hegarty could be next in if Siliva isn't match ready... But I don't think he is far off, still a couple of weeks away.

51.JPG

Scott Sio, The second youngest player on the Brumbies books in front of Michael Hooper, Scott Sio is working hard to learn the trade of being a world class front-rower in his first year as a professional rugby player. One of the new breed of front-rowers who can play any position, Sio have been blessed with some of the world's best tutors in Ben Alexander, Dan Palmer and Stephen Moore to work with. A former loose forward who has represented Australian at Schoolboys and Under 20's level, Sio will be hoping to leave his mark on the Super Rugby competition as soon as he is given a chance.

45.JPG

Anthony Hegarty is a tough, nuggety hooker who was born and raised in Canberra. A former Marist student, Hegarty has represented the ACT right through his schooling years and was a part of the Brumbies Academy since finishing school until the end of 2011. A quality tackler with a good ball carry and ability to break through defence, Hegarty was called on eight times through the 2011 Super Rugby season after injuries to Stephen Moore and Huia Edmonds. Now in his second full year with the professional squad, Hegarty will be looking to cement himself a spot in the team after claiming a spot in the Brumbies Extended Playing Squad.

36.JPG

Siliva joins the Brumbies for the 2012 season after being one of the Western Force's most promising players while he was in their Academy. Well known for his strength, Siliva used the Junior World Championships in Italy to demonstrate the rest of his skills set particularly at scrum time and with the set piece. One of the youngest players in the 2012 fulltime squad, Siliva will be working with world class rake Stephen Moore to ensure he is ready for the 2012 Super Rugby competition.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If Moore has to miss a game or two, and ditto for Siliva there may be a silver lining. If the Brumbies have started cross training of Sio at hooker it will be accelerated; if not, it will be started. Forget the blurb of the Brumbies Media Unit about his being able to play all 3 front row positions: this young man can be considered only a LHP at the minute, and will probably never be a THP.

I mentioned on the forum even during his school days that he should be cross-trained as a hooker, as backrower TPN was by the Brumbies. He was big but fast and mobile for a prop; so I thought of him wearing the 2 jersey as a senior player. Now my cunning plan for Sio may be initiated because of misfortune to others.

I salivate, but talk is cheap: let's see.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's talk that Huia Edmonds could be brought in as plan B...

He's apparently signed with an English club but doesn't head over until June...

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I received our caps and season guides in the mail today. Quite a few typos in the season guide which is not surprising considering the rush it obviously needed to get it produced. It even mentions that Tim Cree, one of the 2012 ACT Squad members, has a full-time training spot with the "Hauwei Brumbies."

I quite like the caps, but far out they are small. They are supposed to be OSFM (which I suppose means One Size Fits Most), but I can only just get it on my head. My son-in-law, whose head has its own post-code, will have no chance of wearing his.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was in Canberra on the weekend and was looking through the Brumbies' season guide and it is littered with errors.

The Brumbies' media unit did a terrible job on that one.

I realise it's come out late as they were hoping to get the major sponsor in there (which they didn't), but most of that information would've been put in there and ready to go for some time.

And it's not just little errors either...

Apparently Fotu has Brumbies and Wallaby caps... Delve has been the only captain for the Rebels... and the Waratahs are actually the 'Stormers'...

There were plenty of really bad mistakes, and whoever edited it should get the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.