• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
ANU (Australian National Uni) and UC (University of Canberra) a two different organisations. Personally if I was a UC student I would be a bit shirty if there is stuff that needs doing around the campus, but I don't know the circumstances.

If I was at uni in canberra I'd just be happy that an institution exists that takes people with learning disabilities... too harsh?

Reactions: BPC

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From what I understand the money for this sponsorship would've come out of the advertising/promotion budget so its not like the funds are being diverted away from the students.

And apparently it's still probably less than what most tertiary institutions spend on promoting themselves.

D

daz

From what I understand the money for this sponsorship would've come out of the advertising/promotion budget so its not like the funds are being diverted away from the students.

And apparently it's still probably less than what most tertiary institutions spend on promoting themselves.

Yep. I guess the question was asked if spending a million (or whatever the spend is) on print and tv commercials had the same bang as a million spent on sponsorship that had a global print and tv audience built in. In the end it was a business decision and good on 'em if it works.

I'm really more concerned about how the corporate sponsors lounge is going to squeeze in 500 professors and tenured staff every week....

B

Bilby

Mt Timms - Where did you get the word that Ben Mowen is the NO 8, last I heard it's a forgone conclusion that Vaea has proven himself as the 8 and Mowen is 6 !

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
If I was at uni in canberra I'd just be happy that an institution exists that takes people with learning disabilities... too harsh?

Not if it was aimed at me. I know my shortfalls. Should really proof read.

If not then I have missed your point.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Maybe because the uni is spending a million bucks on sticking a logo on a jersey. They would probably prefer the money spent on their education or lowering their fees

Sure, but it depends on where the money is coming from. If it's from the marketing budget, it would be palatable as the money was not going to be spent directly on education. It would be disappointing if it came from spending that directly affected student education.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Although, to be fair UC has been gaining higher honors of late...

The money they've got for this kind of venture has probably come off the back of that...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Let's put our mortarboard's, diploma's, masters' and/or PHD's down and focus on the fact the Brumbies finally have a sponsor, and the first trial match is on Saturday against the Force in Darwin.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, it's now the next lot of questions that need to be answered...

Captain - Moore v Mowen

No 8 - Mowen v Vaea

Scrum half - White v Prior (surely White!)

Who will the outside backs be?

The locks?

What kind of gameplay can we expect?

Will the skillet match the fitness levels?

Etc etc etc

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I do know the following:

Everyone available is going up north for the trials.
White hasn't seen many of these players 'live' so will be watching a few to see if they can cement their positions.
It's been pissing down in Darwin the last few days, so I wouldn't expect that either team will be able to play their best game.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has anyone seen any of the brumbies training sessions? What's the verdict on that new super fast ex surfer guy I read about a while ago?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Reading the tea leaves he is lighting quick, but Brett Stapleton, who ran 10.27 at 16 and later 10.68 with a pulled hamstring at 95 metres, then diving over the line, was even faster.

But Brett wasn't a top footie player and there is no evidence that Tom Cox will be either as he didn't pick up a rugby ball until 3 years ago. He has played AFL so knows how to pass and catch a ball. Let's watch this space on that one..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This deal looks to have worked out pretty well in the end...

And the Brumbies avoided having Huawei's Waratah looking logo on their jersey...

UC deal may lure South Africans
BY CHRIS DUTTON
01 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM
ACT Brumbies coach Jake White wants to use a new alliance with the University of Canberra as the extra bait to lure South Africa's most talented juniors to the capital.

The Brumbies have boosted their immediate finances on the eve of the Super Rugby competition by announcing a one-year naming rights sponsorship with the University of Canberra, worth an estimated $1million.

But White, who guided South Africa to the 2007 World Cup, is determined to convert the relationship into a long-term gain for his playing roster.

White plans to capitalise on the strong connection between rugby and education in South Africa. As a former Springboks coach, he still holds a lot of influence on where South Africa's rising stars choose to play.

''I would love to attract some boys to come and play rugby in Australia,'' White said.

''Every day I get calls from dads [in South Africa] asking where I suggest their kid can play.

''It shouldn't be underestimated a lot of South Africans will see this link and see it as an opportunity [to come and try to play for the Brumbies].

''Our challenge is to make sure we at the Brumbies do our homework ... it can't just be a sponsorship arrangement, it has to be a genuine boost and partnership.''

When White signed a four-year deal to coach the Brumbies last May, he expressed his desire to recruit South African schoolboy stars and get them to train in the club's development programs.

Now he wants university delegates to travel with the Brumbies to South Africa in April and organise meetings with top young players.

White knows first hand how passionate South Africans are about rugby.

He has been coaching in schools since 1982 and high schools and universities have extremely strong allegiances to their rugby teams.

The Brumbies are allowed three foreign players on their roster - one marquee signing and two developing internationals. Dan Vickerman and Clyde Rathbone are two examples of South Africans who have played with the Brumbies and gone on to represent the Wallabies.

White said he would not try to influence young players to choose between committing to the Wallabies or Springboks, but he was confident South African junior stars could be enticed to join the Brumbies and the university.

''Nothing would hurt me more than to tell a South African dad to bring his kid here and he doesn't leave Canberra a better player,'' White said.

''I don't want these boys to come here and to be a Brumbies fan, I want him to come here with an opportunity to play for the Brumbies.

''There's no reason why it can't happen, I get excited because we're sitting on something great, but we can't just offer an opportunity to study.

''It's going to promote rugby in Canberra and increase the standard of rugby we have here.

''It won't happen in year one, but it will be sustainable for South African and New Zealand boys to come here and study.''

White warned the agreement needed to be more than ''lip service'' to ensure he could attract the best recruits and turn them into better players in Canberra.

The university will get maximum exposure in South Africa and New Zealand when the Super Rugby season begins on February 24.

Rugby is the No.1 sport in both countries and more than 4million viewers watched the Brumbies' games last season

Twenty-three per cent of the university's student population is from overseas, but only a small minority is from South Africa or New Zealand with most travelling from China and South East Asia.

The Brumbies could also move their base to the university campus in the coming years.

The club had its plans to redevelop Griffith Oval blocked on heritage grounds in 2010 and is currently awaiting a decision on its contentious application to rezone the site of its headquarters for redevelopment as apartments.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Why are they getting upset? Is it because UC beat ANU to the punch?;)

The ANU and UC are starting to run joint courses and sharing resources. This is the real future of UC and ANU partnership for education and research.

For those of you not familiar with the 2 universities UC is like UTS and ANU is like Sydney UNI but bigger

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
ANU students are already getting precious about it...

But they should just live happy knowing that the ANU is internationally recognised as being one of the top educational institutions on the planet, and by far the best university in this country.

The UC doesn't have much going for it. It's a glorified Tafe.

But at least now they're sponsoring the greatest rugby team in the world... :D

That's lucky for the brumbies that ANU isnt on the jersey. I remember one memorable Uni games meet in Tamworth where my Newcastle University team was represented through NUSport (Newcastle Univeristy sport) & ANU was represented by Australian National University Sport. Until I knew what it stood for I was a little confused as to why people were yelling from the side lines "come on ANUS!!!".

I think if the Brumbies struggle again this year then the last thing they'll need is an ANUS chant to go up around the ground at their home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.