• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
By all reports George Smith repeatedly failed the beep test and was considered "unfit" by those standards yet he never looked to me like he was out of breath on the field.

By his own admission George was a poor trainer; something that his team mates did not disagree with. But they also said once he got on the park it was a completely different story. Toutai Kefu was more or less the same.

The beep tests are necessary to judge 95% of players but George was in the other 5%.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The beep tests are necessary to judge 95% of players but George was in the other 5%.

I would personally say that the beep tests are necessary to justify the existence of exercise physiologists/extra training staff. Much like self-assessment forms for work are necessary to justify the existence of human resources staff.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Beep should only form a part of the training regime. I agree that it is important to beep well, but it's not the only aspect of training. Beep tests are there as a measurement tool and also to let the player's know the coaching staff are keeping an eye on them!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies have signed the University Of Canberra as the major sponsor for 2012. UC will be on the front of the jersey for this season.

Sent from Nokia 5110

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Any definitive word on the Brumbies captain yet?

I would've thought Squeaky was the lead candidate but I hear Mowen is very close to White

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ta da...

1677242.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would assume that this deal is much smaller than the Huawei one?

Anyways...

UC joins forces with Brumbies
BY JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY AND EMMA MACDONALD
31 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM

The ACT Brumbies will carry the name of the University of Canberra on their jerseys this year, starting a partnership that could lead to the football club moving to the UC campus.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan and university Vice-Chancellor Stephen Parker signed yesterday what they believe is an Australian-first sponsorship agreement.

The one-year deal will see the university gain international exposure throughout the Super Rugby season and provide the Brumbies with much needed financial support.

Professor Parker said while the sponsorship would boost the university's profile as a ''sporting university'', the partnership could lead to the two groups sharing a home.

''We see ourselves as a major Canberra institution, so are the Brumbies, and this kind of alliance is good for the city,'' Professor Parker said.

''Longer term, I'm attracted by the North American model, where the university and the sports team are close together, where students are fans wanting to got to the games and graduates want to be closer to the team.

''That model is really attractive.

''We aren't there yet, but there are discussions going on and I could see that it would be a very good fit.''

Neither the Brumbies nor the university would disclose the sponsorship value, but it is believed to be similar to the $1million a season Chinese technology company Huawei had pledged last year.

That deal collapsed just before Christmas.

The university's logo will feature prominently on the front of the home jersey, which marks a subtle shift back towards the club's traditional jersey and is likely to be more popular with supporters.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan hoped the partnership would deepen the club's connection to Canberra and introduce new supporters through the university.

''We think this is a first for partnership of this kind in Australia,'' Mr Fagan said.

''This will be more than just a traditional sponsorship.

''It enables us to partner with a prominent and respected Canberra institution, to proudly promote the city of Canberra on the front of the jersey and to engage directly with tens of thousands of students, staff and alumni, who we hope will be a feature at Brumbies matches.''

The deal with UC will fill a major hole in the club's budget left after the 12-year association with former sponsor Computer Associates ended last year. The club posted a $200,000 loss last season, due mainly to low attendances during its worst season.

The collapse of the Huawei deal raised the prospect of the Australian Rugby Union stepping in to help cover the shortfall.

''It's a significant relief that we've been able to find a sponsor,'' Mr Fagan said.

''It was critical that we shored up our revenue and a lot of work has gone into getting us to this point.''

While no deal has been done for the Brumbies to relocate to the university grounds, a shift from Griffith has been discussed for several years, due mainly to the poor standard of facilities there.

The club had its plans to redevelop Griffith Oval blocked on heritage grounds in 2010 and is currently awaiting a decision on its contentious application to rezone the site of its headquarters for redevelopment as apartments.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
It could be smaller since it is only for 1 year, but with a view to a long term deal.

You also have to remember that this deal was arranged in about a month after the Huawei deal collapsed.

Sent from Nokia 5110

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New generation of Super Rugby captains look to inspire from the back
Jim Morton, Justin Chadwick
January 31, 2012

art-353-B15-20David-20Pocock-20ld-20thin-200x0.jpg
Leadership material ... David Pocock.
BACK-ROW skippers are the flavour of the month in Super Rugby with David Pocock's Western Force ascension kicking off three captaincy appointments.
While world-class ball scavenger Pocock succeeded veteran Force lock Nathan Sharpe on Monday, the NSW Waratahs are set to name fellow Wallabies flanker Rocky Elsom as their captain today.
And Brumbies coach Jake White is expected to follow suit in a fortnight with No.8 recruit Ben Mowen to captain the new-look ACT squad.
White has opted against naming a captain for the Brumbies' opening two trials, against the Force (February 4) and Queensland (February 11).
He's set to reveal an extended leadership group for the trials this week with Mowen on a list that includes Wallabies front-rowers Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander.
World Cup hooker Moore, 29, was seen as the likely replacement for Matt Giteau last year but former Springboks coach White is looking to start afresh with Mowen.
The surprise move would complete a bizarre swap between the Brumbies and Waratahs as Mowen, 27, left NSW last season when new coach Michael Foley swooped to sign Elsom from the Brumbies.
Dumped as Wallabies skipper just three weeks before last year's World Cup, Elsom's impending appointment has also raised eyebrows as he'll be sidelined for the first month of the competition.
But there were no surprises with Pocock's ascension in Perth yesterday, with Force coach Richard Graham admitting it was more than 12 months in the making.
Foundation captain and 101-Test stalwart Sharpe is yet to decide upon his future beyond this season but the 40-Test Pocock has long been seen as the Force's long-term leader.
The appointment will also help keep the off-contract breakaway and 2010 John Eales medallist in the west following the Force's disappointing campaign last year which featured just five wins.
''I'm very excited about it,'' Pocock said. ''It's a huge challenge. Following on from someone like Nathan Sharpe, who's served the team so well and has a distinct brand of leadership - I've learnt a lot from him.
''And the great thing for me is he'll still be there and I'll be able to bounce ideas off him. He'll definitely play a big part in the team.''
Graham opted against naming a vice-captain and won't risk Pocock and Sharpe against the Brumbies in Darwin on Saturday night.
But he was certain his players would be inspired to follow the lead of Pocock, named Young Australian of the Year for his for his work establishing the charity organisation Eighty-Twenty Vision, which helps disadvantaged communities in his native Zimbabwe.
''If you're ever going to demand things from people around you in sport, you actually need to be able to set a really high standard and keep them accountable, and he does that,'' Graham said.
''I think the work he does off the field shows how selfless he is as a character, and in serving the team that will be very important.''
AAP
And he'll be calling the lineout... ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ANU students are already getting precious about it...

But they should just live happy knowing that the ANU is internationally recognised as being one of the top educational institutions on the planet, and by far the best university in this country.

The UC doesn't have much going for it. It's a glorified Tafe.

But at least now they're sponsoring the greatest rugby team in the world... :D

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
And Brumbies coach Jake White is expected to follow suit in a fortnight with No.8 recruit Ben Mowen to captain the new-look ACT squad.
White has opted against naming a captain for the Brumbies' opening two trials, against the Force (February 4) and Queensland (February 11).
He's set to reveal an extended leadership group for the trials this week with Mowen on a list that includes Wallabies front-rowers Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander.
World Cup hooker Moore, 29, was seen as the likely replacement for Matt Giteau last year but former Springboks coach White is looking to start afresh with Mowen.

that's pretty fucked for squeak, he still has a few good year in front of him, I would have thought he would be a good fit. Guess Jake has to do it his way and maybe a leader from the old regime was too much of a risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.