• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
On the field (not technically in public) I believed that he told Gits to kick the bloody thing out cause they were leading. Gits took the option to go for the goal to extend a lead. Would have thought that it was Gits with the salt. Squeaky was more interested in not risking the reds scoring a try from a bit of magic and winning.

True and Gits chose to kick it dead via a shot on goal... and he got the points... at the time the commentators especially Marto did beat the Moore/Giteau exchange up a bit… nevertheless Moore was clearly out of line and didn't respect the choice of his Captain, the Brumbies having such a tough season with so many close loses isn’t an good excuse for Moore to loose his cool... Moore displayed passion not control…

A Fresh start means the Brumbies need a new public face as Captain… Ben Mowen is likely the right chap for the job a seasoned super rugby player.

Overall, Jake White hasn't made a soft choice since his joining at the Brumbies... I can't see him choosing a Captain just because he doesn’t wish to upset a veteran player... Thats not Jakes style, he'll call it for what he thinks is best for team and club. If a new player selected as Captain he will be sending a clear message to all the new/old players that they are equally valued at the Brumbies...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fair enough. I guess what I was trying to say is that I think that Moore would not be a bad choice as captain. Having said that I don't know Mowen, or enough about Mowen to make the call where he is concerned.

I would raise the question though if a newbie would have the 'club culture/passion' aspect of being a captain? Having said that, if you are trying to change said culture then the new guy might be the way to go. Guessing Jake won't take the soft option and will go for the guy he thinks is best for the position, just don't think that we should discount Moore.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly... Moore has been with the Brumbies for a few years now putting in the hard work.

He's been a leader for both the Brumbies and Wallabies, and I think he (and others) might feel rightly snubbed if some newbie in the team gets handed the job.

However, that's up to White to decide and I'm not necessarily against Mowen being captain as long as it doesn't cause trouble within the team.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I don’t think any of the players will feel snubbed; Jake White pretty well put them all on notice straight up… No preference, no certainties, they need to get on to get long at the Brumbies under White stewardship and show what they can offer…

A seasoned player is always a leader… Moore’s unquestionably a player of immense qualities... but a veteran doesn’t always make the best club Captain… it what’s best for the club... There is no Nathan Sharpe persona at the Brumbies… Mortlock was the last Brumbies captain of that stature.

Read some of Jakes Whites comments:

''Now I don't know the players or the environment, I'm not going in with any bias or any preconceived ideas. I'm going in with an open mind and that's nice because the players will be judged on how I get to know them and what I see with my own eyes.'' Jake White

"It's a new clean sheet, it's a blank canvas for us. A new conditioning staff, new coaching staff, a lot of new playing personnel.

"It's a nice way to create a new culture."

With so many personnel changes, White believes the great unknown may prove one of the Brumbies' key assets in 2012.

"What's nice about us is that no-one knows what's coming next year," he said.

"No-one knows how we're going to play, no-one knows who will be playing and no-one knows what our starting team's like.

"That's a wonderful situation to be in as a new coach."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-16/white-new-brumbies-culture/2797148

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, I don't think Moore is going to feel threatened for his spot in the team... and there are many provinces (all of them) who would be willing to have him...

However, I'm not saying he should hold the team to ransom, but rather he's a player that deserves the captaincy and if he doesn't receive it I hope Jake White takes care of it in a manner that doesn't put people offside.

Anyways...

It's gloves off for Brumbies
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
25 Jan, 2012 04:00 AM

The ACT Brumbies' honeymoon officially ended when they bashed and belted each other in a bruising game simulation session at Viking Park yesterday.

In an attempt to get his side ready for its first trial match in 11 days' time, coach Jake White took away the tackling pads and threw his new squad into a full contact opposed training for 40 minutes.

And if any of his rookie recruits thought they could ease their way into the action, they got a rude shock when they were pitted against each other.

The hits in defence were brutal and the aggression around the ruck was intense.

The players left the field with cuts, scratches and bruises.

Nic White was crunched twice, Ian Prior had scratches above his eye and Kimami Sitauti nailed Henry Speight in a perfectly-timed cover tackle which knocked the wind out of his teammate.

At times the skills were scrappy and the eager young Brumbies fumbled the ball often.

White conceded his team needed to work on ball control and building pressure through constant phases.

But the former World Cup-winning coach believed it was the hit-out his players needed ahead of the the trial match against the Western Force on February4.

The Brumbies ended their pre-season fitness regimen last week with White turning all of his focus to game preparation.

''We can't get them any fitter than what they are now, they can't get any bigger or stronger,'' White said.

''I'm never going to be happy, I want it to be perfect and it's not perfect yet.

''But it's the beginning, the most important thing is everyone has had a hit-out, guys have come back from injury and they all look like they're ready to go.

''It's about getting them game fit, game wise and understanding what we want in game situations.''

The Brumbies have three trial matches before they play the Force in the opening round of the season on February24.

Wallabies Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander sat out yesterday's session along with a handful of players carrying niggling injuries.

But White expected to have almost a full squad available to play in the first trial in Darwin.

White is starting to put together his starting XV, but spots are still up for grabs.

One of the hottest battles is between scrumhalves White and Prior.

Despite their limited Super Rugby experience, they'll be tasked with directing the Brumbies around the field this year.

No one felt the pain more than Nic White yesterday. First he was flattened by Michael Hooper after passing a ball, and when he returned to the field rampaging prop Dan Palmer crunched him in a savage ruck cleanout.

Prior escaped with cuts and scratches above his right eye and the 21-year-old said the Brumbies' healthy rivalry within the squad would bode well for them this season.

''It was good not having the pads out there, the physicality was good and we were rusty but the positive signs were there,'' Prior said.

''It gave everyone an idea of where we are and what we need to work on so we can be sharper when the games start.

''Spots are there for the taking and competition breeds success so everyone was putting their body on the line, which is good this early.''

Brumbies second-rower Peter Kimlin is confident the team is moving in the right direction despite admitting handling errors were frustrating in the first full contact session.

''We couldn't hold it longer than three phases, that was disappointing, but there were a lot of positives as well,'' Kimlin said.

''We're fitter this year and I think we're looking pretty good for the trial in Darwin.

''We'll learn from [yesterday's contact session] and then be ready to go into the trial.''

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
a shaved half back at that...
1665352.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright...

Brumbies get jump on rivals by lining up AIS joint venture

THE Brumbies have become scientific guinea pigs in a joint effort with the AIS to help the Super Rugby franchise return to its winning ways and prepare Australian athletes for the Olympics.

Under a new commercial and collaborative arrangement, the Brumbies will share information, facilities and resources with the AIS. The Brumbies players will also be available for AIS research purposes.

"The Brumbies are in a rebuilding phase," said Julian Jones, the AIS head strength and conditioning coach. "It's a matter of us helping them as they help us.

"We can trial a few things we have developed, which you would not want to do in an Olympic year with only six months to go.

"They (Olympians) are on track for London. You wouldn't make radical changes in the last six months. That's not going to happen.

"But this data will give us a heads up for the Rio de Janeiro cycle. It's good to validate stuff and back it up with scientific fact. Primarily it will benefit team sports."

The Brumbies have always had an informal relationship with the AIS but moved to make the arrangement binding.

Brumbies strength and conditioning coach Dean Benton pushed the idea and it was strongly supported by head coach Jake White and CEO Andrew Fagan, who is a former AIS employee.

"I spent 2 1/2 years coaching in both the AIS strength and conditioning and track and field departments and I appreciate the world class facilities, personnel, resources and services that the AIS provides elite Australian sport," Benton said.

"As soon as I became incumbent in the Brumbies role it was quite clear to me that the AIS could play a significant role in turning the Brumbies back to a winning team.

"There has always existed a healthy informal relationship between the staff of the two organisations.

"Rather than rely on favours and friendship, it made sense to ensure something formal and lasting was put in place."

One of the areas the Brumbies have been working on with the AIS is the players' jumping ability -- both in the lineout and under the high ball.

"Dean wanted to look at how effective their jumping was," Jones said.

"We've changed their jumping capabilities. There has been a reluctance to work on those areas in the past because of the fear of injuries.

"It's not just about your best vertical leap when jumping for the ball. It's the speed of your jump rather than the height.

"It's how quickly you get off the ground rather than how high."

The AIS coaches will complete their pre-season testing of the Brumbies today and then collate the data.

"We've got a good group of 20-plus guys and we'll get good data back from them," Jones said.

"Once we get that data we'll know what the last three months has been all about. Then we'll see how we can influence that over an extended season."

Status
Not open for further replies.