• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There has certainly been a big emphasis ont he players' fitness during preseason, and the reports coming out regarding that have been quite positive.

However, they've obviously still got a lot of other things to work on.

Kimlin mentions in the article regarding the full contact session that their ball handling wasn't quite up to par.

Obviously being the fittest team isn't necessarily going to make you the best team but at least it provides a good base to build the other skills on.

T

tranquility

Sorry to keep repeating myself on this. But I really hope Kimlin plays lock, and has a great season. He could be so good, and we really need some locks to stand up around the country.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and we really need some locks to stand up around the country.

We do? I thought it is the one area of strength in our pack and one where I even believe it's stronger than the ABs. Horwill, Vickerman, Simmons, Sharpe (although he probably won't be around again), Timani got a cap and then there's Douglas, Pyle, Wykes in waiting and Mumm if he regains form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For the most part, Wallaby locks are inconsistent...

Sharpe and Vickerman are on the verge of retirement...

I doubt Mumm will wear gold again...

The other guys have potential...

There's no doubt that Kimlin would have more test caps if it wasn't for injuries...

A fit and in form Kimlin would be a massive boost...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good news everyone!

Ironman Alexander wants to share the workload
RUGBY UNION BY CHRIS DUTTON
29 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM
IT'S TAKEN just 35 Tests for Ben Alexander to establish himself as the ironman forward of Australian rugby.

But after almost 2000 minutes on the field last year, the ACT Brumbies will attempt to lighten his work load so he can have an even greater impact when the Super Rugby season begins next month.

The prop played more minutes last year in Tests and Super Rugby matches than any Australian forward, even after the Brumbies missed the finals.

Across 16 Super Rugby appearances and 12 Tests - excluding the Wallabies' match against the Barbarians - Alexander played 1996 minutes. It's a remarkable effort from the 120kg front-rower.

He played eight minutes more than Australian captain James Horwill despite the lock also leading the Queensland Reds to the Super Rugby title.

But after almost four years of constant rugby, Alexander concedes one of the most demanding positions on the field has taken its toll on his body.

''I was pretty sore [last year], my back was sore for about the last six months of the year,'' Alexander said.

''It's tough, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

''As much as you want to play in every game, in a physical position like the front row, playing 80 minutes every week takes its toll on you and you can't perform at your best.''

Alexander's Super Rugby record is evidence of his durability.

He has played 41 consecutive matches for the Brumbies and 39 of those have been in the starting XV.

The 27-year-old had played every minute of every match last season until he was knocked out in the first half of the Brumbies' clash with the NSW Waratahs.

The only World Cup game he missed was the Wallabies pool match against Russia and he started in every game except the end-of-season Test against Wales.

His versatility has made him one of the most valuable props in Australia.

Alexander spent last year playing loosehead prop for the Brumbies, but switched to the other side of the scrum for the Wallabies' World Cup campaign.

He will likely start the Brumbies' season in the No1 jersey, but forwards coach Laurie Fisher said there was a front-row rotation plan to keep Alexander and his prop partners fresh.

''What our focus is when guys are out on the park they're giving their absolute best,'' Fisher said.

''We don't want to be pushing guys through and having them play at 80 per cent or 90 per cent, we want guys to feel fresh out there and then when they're incapable of giving their best because they've given everything, you roll someone else out.''

Alexander is excited by a possible rotation and isn't fazed by starting from the bench occasionally.

Alexander and Dan Palmer are the Brumbies' most experienced props, but Fisher and coach Jake White will give Ruaidhri Murphy, Jono Owen, Scott Sio and Jerry Yanuyanutawa a chance.

The Brumbies will play their first trial match against the Western Force in Darwin on Friday.

Alexander was unsure of what role he would play, given he is still easing himself back into full-contact training.

Despite his huge work load last year, Alexander said he was starting to get the ''itch'' to play again.

''I'm just trying to look after my body a bit better, doing the little things because it does make it easier,'' Alexander said.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Front-row rotation must sense, with a longer super rugby season... does that also mean rotation at hooker? … Sounds like they’re talking props only…

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I doubt they'll rotate the hookers like the props will be.

I haven't seen anything of Silivia but have of Hegarty and could only see injuries keeping Moore off the park.

Having said that, I spoke to him yesterday in passing and he is hopeful of getting some game time in the trials. It sounds like everyone available will get on the park for the Force trial.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Moore could be managed by having him play fewer minutes per game. That's a hard call for a coach in a tight game but you have to prepare for the worst and think: what if Moore is crocked for the whole season? As we said at the time: the choice of the promising Siliva as 2nd string hooker was a strange one - and made on slim evidence.

As for Alexander: I knew he was durable but didn't realise that he had played so much. If Palmer stays healthy this year it will help his work load. In 2011 he had to play half a season in each of the prop positions. I still don't know why Ma'afu wasn't used more, though maybe he was hurt too; I forget.

PS: Has anybody seen the Brumbies train this year and seen Sio throw to a lineout?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Still negotiating with that mob who pulled out hoping to come to some agreement.

I don't know who the other potential sponsors but the ARU bailout is a last resort.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More on the fitness angle...

Brumbies banking on fitness
BY CHRIS DUTTON
30 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM

The ACT Brumbies are confident the fitness foundation they have put in place after a gruelling three months of pre-season training will bode well for the opening round of the Super Rugby season.

But forwards coach Laurie Fisher warned they're still ''not where we need to be'' and could not afford to relax ahead of their first trial match.

The Brumbies were put through a final speed and endurance testing session at the Australian Institute of Sport last Saturday to see how they had improved in the pre-season.

Since returning to training in October, the young Brumbies have been flogged at training to get them in peak physical condition. But now their focus has turned to game preparation with their first trial match in Darwin against the Western Force on Saturday.

Fisher was impressed by the squad's overall improvement.

Although their 40m sprint times and beep test results are better, Fisher said the real test would come when the players run on to the field.

''There has been really clear [fitness] progress in every player which is fantastic - they've worked really hard,'' Fisher said.

''It's important to understand that we're not where we need to be, but it's all about progress. We'll find out over the coming weeks whether we're making enough progress... I think we've got a good base there and I think we'll find our rugby legs reasonably quickly.

''There are some loose ends in our game and some skills to catch on that we'll ramp up over the next three weeks.''

With spots in Jake White's game-day squad up for grabs, there was healthy competition at the session.

Scrumhalves Nic White and Ian Prior were the last two in the beep test as they ran beyond level 14 in a supreme display of endurance.

The pair will battle for the No9 jersey as the only two scrumhalves in the squad. And it was Prior who narrowly edged out White by one level in the beep test.

Brumbies athletic performance director Dean Benton declared White and Prior as the two fittest rugby union players he had seen.

Benton has previously worked with the Brisbane Broncos, the Wallabies and the AIS and has been pushing the players to their limits to ensure they have an adequate fitness base for the season.

Tom Cox and Robbie Coleman were the standouts in the speed testing. Benton said Cox had the ''fastest top speed I've ever seen in a field sport athlete in this country''.

''And that's irrespective of AFL, rugby league or rugby union.

''Robbie was faster on the 40m time, Tom has a better top speed but Robbie is a better accelerator and that's what you want from your centres.

''Everyone has improved all round in every area - the forwards are fit and fast and so are the backs.''

BRUMBIES TRIALS

February 4: v Western Force in Darwin;
February 11: v Queensland Reds in Cairns;
February 16: v ACT XV at Viking Park.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Beep test! fine.... improved fitness levels great! but I really want to know is.... Can they run and pass... hold the ball for 6 phases or more... can the forwards get to the breakdown when the game is played at pace...

I guess that's what those trial games on the bottom of the article are for..

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Beep test! fine.... improved fitness levels great! but I really want to know is.... Can they run and pass... hold the ball for 6 phases or more... can the forwards get to the breakdown when the game is played at pace...

By all reports George Smith repeatedly failed the beep test and was considered "unfit" by those standards yet he never looked to me like he was out of breath on the field. Let's hold the wild enthusiasm back until the trial matchs rather than the results of physiological tests.

After all, the Waratahs have sole rights to claims of the "best team on paper" in the pre-season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
fitness is nice, attitude is more important, doing those magical "1%'s", getting up and active, chasing that kick and getting back to support the receiver etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.