• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's get back to this...

6236.jpg

I'm not sure about the gold stripe on top of the sleeve, but I like it...

Before they released this I said I'd prefer a return to the heritage style jersey (which Kooga butchered).

With the Rebels now here the last thing we need is just another navy jersey...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To answer an earlier question...

Jerry adjusts to life injury free

By Brumbies Media Unit
imageResize.ashx
Jerry Yanuyanutawa blowing hard at pre-season training.
Despite being one of the more camera shy members of the Brumbies squad and sporting a difficult name to spell, Jerry Yanuyanutawa is ready to step into the spotlight in 2012 and put in the biggest season of his career.

The Fijian giant joined the Brumbies in 2009 on the back of a quality season with Sydney University.

He was the only member of the Australia A squad without a professional contract in 2008 and was quickly snapped up by the Brumbies later that year.

But since then Yanuyanutawa has battled a series of injuries which have stunted his progression. Injury wise, Yanuyanutawa describes 2010 as a year that “has negatively shaped my career.”

A broken left leg, dislocated left ankle and compound fractures in both legs forced Yanuyanutawa to spend more time of the sideline than any other Brumbies forward making it tough for him to keep his earlier momentum.

“The last two years I haven’t really achieved what I wanted to rugby-wise it’s been a big test for me to keep going and has certainly improved my Christian faith,” Yanuyanutawa said.

“When I got here in 2009 I had set myself goals to be a class prop, improve my scrummaging and become a regular member of the match-day 22.

“I had a good run towards the end of last year but before that injuries haven’t helped in terms of my development.

“The hunger and enthusiasm is still there and I’m looking forward to 2012 being a big season for me. For the first time in a couple of years I’m injury free and feeling ready for the season to start.”

Born in Labasa and educated in Suva, Fiji, Yanuyanutawa has been working hard to develop the technical side of his game for the last three seasons.

He credits fellow Brumby Dan Palmer for giving him the tools to combat the best scrummaging units the Super Rugby competition has to offer.

“Learning from Daniel Palmer has been a big blessing in disguise, as far as having that extra competition there for positions,” Yanuyanutawa said.

“He’s one of the most technically gifted and under-rated props in the country so to learn from him has been great for my own game.

“Also having a new, young group here has reinvigorated my own desire to achieve my potential and have a really good crack at the 2012 season.

“Guys like Siliva Siliva and Scotty Sio are stars of the future and they’re keeping us older guys on our toes.”

Yanuyanutawa will graduate from the Australian College of Physical Education in 2012 with a teaching degree having spent the last five years studying.

He said life after rugby has always been a big focus in his personal development.

“I’d love to have a career in education and to possibly move into government work with the education department either here in Australia or back home in Fiji later down the track,” Yanuyanutawa said.

“Teaching is something that I’ve always thought to be a quality career and I’ve enjoyed my time in prac and at University.

“It’s comforting to know that I’ve got something I enjoy to fall back on once my time with rugby is finished.”

Jerry Yanuyanutawa
POS: Prop
H/W: 1.82m, 114kg
DOB: 10/04/1985, Suva, Fiji
Super Rugby Caps: 9

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Mate, Brumbies success doesn't require Reds failure. Can we drop this chip on the shoulder stuff and get back to talking rationally about the Brumbies?

No chip on the shoulder nonsense here Godfrey, please add your thoughts on the Brumbies for 2012... and not just state what you don't want to read... at least I'm entering an opinion...

I'm more than happy to read it... I think there are plenty of OZ players who are often overrated. I'm just stating that I don't think the OZ conference is that strong and is open to the brumbies doing well if they fire up... I'm using the Reds as an example due to their 2012 RWC Wallabies caps...

Frankly Super Rugby is a competition not a social club... The Brumbies have to win the OZ conference to get a firm spot in the S15 semis, so it is important that the Brumbies are more successful than the Reds, albeit a massive challenge and furthermore being a Brumbies thread I'm happy to state it...

Plenty of other OZ teams have weaknesses, some jokers just need to be reminded... All teams start on zero points at the start of a season, there are no carry over points from last season gentlemen... I'd encourage Brumbies supporters to back their lads on this thread and not let it be dominated by supporters from other teams uploading twaddle...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Fotu Auelua looks a bad signing already. Don't like the idea of a big number 8 with no pre season coming in. Impact sub might be a better approach..

Both Genia and Horne are overrated. Genia was overused by Deans and could have been more effective if used correctly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fotu Auelua looks a bad signing already. Don't like the idea of a big number 8 with no pre season coming in. Impact sub might be a better approach..

Both Genia and Horne are overrated. Genia was overused by Deans and could have been more effective if used correctly.

Fotu should definitely not be favored over Vaea...

As he can also play in the centres he should make for a quality impact player off the bench...

Let him steamroll people in the last 20 minutes...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Let's get back to this...

6236.jpg

I'm not sure about the gold stripe on top of the sleeve, but I like it...

Before they released this I said I'd prefer a return to the heritage style jersey (which Kooga butchered).

With the Rebels now here the last thing we need is just another navy jersey...

It's a good looking jersey, there's a bit if old and a bt of new to it. I can't believe out of five teams we have four wearing blue. The force jersey keeps getting lighter its almost reaching waratahs blue now, then the rebels payed tribute to the brumbies, it's ridiculus

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
It's a good looking jersey, there's a bit if old and a bt of new to it. I can't believe out of five teams we have four wearing blue. The force jersey keeps getting lighter its almost reaching waratahs blue now, then the rebels payed tribute to the brumbies, it's ridiculus

Last few year the brumbies have had 3 jerseys... The more recent navy and gold trim, the navy with white saddle traditional against OZ teams, and the all white away jersey which wasn’t very good... perhaps this new jersey will bring it back to 2 designs... It’s not a bad interpretation of the old and new… I do like that the white is back as a 3rd colour… it also gives the lads a visual target to hit when passing…

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies in pain but moans fall on deaf ears
BY CHRIS DUTTON
22 Jan, 2012 01:00 AM
THEY'RE the gut-busting training sessions which make your ears pop, your lungs burst and your muscles ache for days.

But the ACT Brumbies say their dreaded ''brutal Tuesdays'' during their pre-season regimen has provided the perfect preparation for the Super Rugby campaign.

For the past three months the Brumbies have been flogged every Tuesday.

It's part of the program coach Jake White hopes will steel his team for redemption when the season begins next month.

And the sessions over the past week were so tough both Colby Fainga'a and Anthony Hegarty ''went deaf'' as they gasped for breath and struggled to their feet after an hour of being punished.

''We couldn't hear anything except our breath, it was the strangest thing but I went deaf in both ears just from fatigue and Colbs had the same problem,'' Hegarty said.

''All I could hear was myself breathing and I've got no idea how it happened.

''It was a 10 out of 10 in terms of toughness. It only went for an hour and a bit, but it's really intense and by the end of it you're cactus, you can hardly walk.''

There's no tricks or secrets behind White and athletic performance director Dean Benton's methods.

The players aren't forced to run up sand dunes or push a semi-trailer.

Instead, they are pushed to exhaustion in a series of continuous fitness and live game simulations which are designed to make the Brumbies one of the fittest teams in the competition.

The past six days at training have been the hardest of all.

Yesterday marked the end of the intense fitness and body-bashing training block 33 days out from the first game of the season against the Western Force at Canberra Stadium.

White will give his players a chance to refresh this week before diving into a trial match against the Force in Darwin on February 4.

That will provide the first test to see if the Brumbies' off-season workload has paid off.

Hegarty was only called into White's full-time squad when former skipper Stephen Hoiles was released in December.

Under the new program he has added 3kg to his 107kg frame and has no doubt the Brumbies will benefit from being physically and emotionally drained.

''We weren't ready for the Reds [in our trial] last year, but this year it's going to be the other way around because we've done the work,'' Hegarty said.

''My benchpress is up to about 175kg and my squats are also higher than they've ever been before.

''It's the hardest pre-season I've ever done, but it's definitely paying off for all the boys and everyone is making huge leaps forward.''

The Brumbies began training immediately White took over the coaching reins in July.

Flanker Michael Hooper said getting together early was crucial to the Brumbies' hopes of strong performances.

Hooper is one the fittest players in the squad. On the first day of training in October, Hooper showed supreme endurance to be one of the leaders in the beep test.

The 20-year-old won the Australian under-20 player of the year award after last year's junior world championship.

Despite the Brumbies boasting several new players who are yet to play Super Rugby, Hooper - who has 10 Brumbies caps - is still the youngest in the squad.

He will battle with fellow youngster Fainga'a to be the Brumbies' first-choice openside flanker this season.

''Every pre-season is hard and this one is no different. We all want to get some wins on the board from doing all this hard work and we're hoping it pays off,'' Hooper said.

''I think I am [in the best condition] of my career], we've had a pretty good pre-season and now we're trying to get to a different level.''

BRUMBIES TRIALS

February 4: Vs Western Force in Darwin

February 11: Vs Queensland Reds in Cairns

February 16: Vs ACT XV at Viking Park

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Fotu should definitely not be favored over Vaea...

As he can also play in the centres he should make for a quality impact player off the bench...

Let him steamroll people in the last 20 minutes...

Off the bench is as important as starting these days... hopefully with the Brumbies higher fitness levels will put teams away in the last quarter unlike last year...

It will be interesting to see if they are as fit as they've been saying in the media...

I always find that the Crusaders have been the fittest team in the comp each year, and that’s clearly just a good work ethics to do it year in year out, it just becomes their team standard... I like to see the Brumbies maintain the same standard in the future…

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies set to unlock super Power
BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
24 Jan, 2012 04:00 AM

Here's the next potential Wallabies lock you've never heard of.

Despite Leon Power being yet to play a Super Rugby match, ACT Brumbies coach Jake White is convinced his unknown second-rower has what it takes to play for the Wallabies.

Plucked from New Zealand's ITM Cup late last year, Power was recruited to add muscle and height to the Brumbies' forward pack.

He is a dual citizen and eligible to play for either the Wallabies or the All Blacks. But White has pin-pointed Australia's lock and prop stocks as the Wallabies' biggest weaknesses and believes Power is the perfect man to bolster the Test second row.

Wallabies veterans Nathan Sharpe and Dan Vickerman are nearing the end of their respective careers while James Horwill and Rob Simmons are forging a successful partnership.

World Cup-winning coach White said Power was primed to ''make a name for himself'' and play international rugby.
''He's got a massive engine and he works hard ... no one knows him and one of the things I'm chuffed about is his over 2m tall and there aren't many locks like him running around,'' White said.

''I've got no doubt in my mind [he could play at Test level]. The two things I enjoy about him is his work rate and his basic skills are great.

''You look at Australia's locks, there's James Horwill and Rob Simmons, but we've got to find ways to blood locks and get a guy like [Power] who is in the prime of his career in terms of he can really make a name for himself.

''Prop and lock are areas where all five Australian sides need to be boosted and that's why I'm so happy I've got a guy like Leon.'' White and Brumbies forwards coach Laurie Fisher recruited Power to Canberra after watching him play in the ITM Cup.

The 25-year-old has spent most of his life in New Zealand, but was born in Sydney and can opt to play for the All Blacks or Wallabies.

1663224.jpg

If he is called into either national squad, he will be forced to choose between the countries.
But Power says he's not ready to make the choice.

Instead, he is focused on cementing his place in White's starting XV.

''I don't know what I would do, I guess I would cross that bridge when I got to it,'' Power said.

''I lived in Australia until I was seven, but I have no idea what I would do and I haven't thought about it.
''I'm just hoping this year will be a good year for me, playing any international rugby would be an awesome honour.
''But first and foremost I've got to prove myself here and that's what I'm gunning for.''

The Brumbies will use the former New Zealand under-21s representative as a workhorse around the field and hope he adds grunt and mongrel. Power's progress with the Brumbies was halted when he arrived after suffering a grade-three medial ligament tear before moving to Canberra. He was also hindered by Achilles problems, but returned from the Christmas break 100 per cent fit and ready to charge towards the Brumbies' lock spot.

Power, Ben Hand, Sam Carter and versatile Peter Kimlin will fight to be White's first-choice second-rowers.
  • BRUMBIES TRIALS
February 4: vs Western Force in Darwin;
February 11: vs Queensland Reds in Cairns;
February 16: vs ACT XV at Viking Park.

Leon Power is an excellent pick up for the Brumbies... he'll do well in 2012...

Status
Not open for further replies.