• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Mowen would make a good captain in my opinion, but it would an interesting call by Jake considering how new he is to the scene. Moore would have to be favourite, yeah?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
While I wouldn't have him in the starting XV, he is still a good player who would add experience and good depth to the squad...

Who to replace him? Preferably someone with experience, but a bit late for that unless this is White's mega plan to get Roussow?

Vanderglass had previous Brumbies involvement and is keeping with their young guns recruitment strategy. Or perhaps that young gentleman who was running around for the Vikings who is a local.

B

Bilby

Wait for the official call and bad luck for the end of Hoiles career, but Vaea stepped in and took the position away from him last year anyway. Vaea deserves the No 8.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Close ;) Put it this way, the club captain from last year did not attend. One of those attendees has had praised heaped on them...
Coincidence?

There's no way White could name Mowen captain. Not in his first year at the club, that would be a disgrace.

If you're saying its one of those two, Lilo would have to be it. World Cup success asa junior, come through the Brumbies ranks, is now considered a senior player, appears to have already been locked in for a starting position....

Still....that would be a very left field call...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Hoiles... I wish him the very best, however with Moven, Auelua, and Vaea, Hoiles was always going to struggle to make the 22.

Can the Brumbies still sign Dane Rossuow? as they have already signed Ruaidhri Murphy as an international signing.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
Hoiles... I wish him the very best, however with Moven, Auelua, and Vaea, Hoiles was always going to struggle to make the 22.

Can the Brumbies still sign Dane Rossuow? as they have already signed Ruaidhri Murphy as an international signing.

Pretty sure Murphy is eligible for Australia because of a grandmother.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It will when we find him an Aussie grandmother. Give us some time here, ya can't rush these things.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Vanderglas would be my pick as Backrow cover - could be picked up cheaply and as others have mentioned, he is a former Brumb and a genuine local product : Telopea, St Edmunds, Easts. (I am rather biased though as an Easts guy..)
In any case, it will be iteresting to see what eventuates.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
The Brumbies have him down as a foreign signing though...

I wonder if this can change?

Can you have a foreign player who is eligible for the wallabies duties AKA Murphy and a non eligible foreign player who already played international rugby?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can you have a foreign player who is eligible for the wallabies duties AKA Murphy and a non eligible foreign player who already played international rugby?

Sort of. Teams are allowed two foreign players - one can be "marquee", e.g. a player who has played test rugby for another country, and the second "developmental", i.e. they must be able to qualify to play for Australia if they become a resident after 3 years. I guess there's no reason why both cannot be classed as "developmental", though, as the ARU are required to authorise all foreign players, so the final call probably rests with them.

If Ruaidhri Murphy has played test rugby, sevens rugby, or for the "A" side for his country, then he is a "marquee" player and the Brumbies are limited in who they can sign for their other foreign spot. Otherwise, I don't think they are limited.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm pretty sure the nominations for captaincy are:

Stephen Moore

That is all...

Its a tough decision. Sure, Moore is the most experienced/older/Wallaby etc etc....but is he a leader?

Tony Rae said as much this year after the debacle, that players were being picked as leaders based on their level of experience/being Wallabies, and NOT necessarily because they are genuine leaders.

I think Moore might fit into that bracket, he's a superb player, but i've never seen him doing a Pocock and dragging everyone together and telling them what to do, even though he's not in any official leadership position.

So i'm undecided about Moore....I dont really think he's the right choice, however much experience/caps he has.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, Moore was the U21 captain, and was ear marked for the Reds captaincy before his falling out with a certain forwards coach at the Reds and subsequent departure to the Brumbies. But the management staff at the Brumbies may have other opinsion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its a tough decision. Sure, Moore is the most experienced/older/Wallaby etc etc....but is he a leader?

Tony Rae said as much this year after the debacle, that players were being picked as leaders based on their level of experience/being Wallabies, and NOT necessarily because they are genuine leaders.

I think Moore might fit into that bracket, he's a superb player, but i've never seen him doing a Pocock and dragging everyone together and telling them what to do, even though he's not in any official leadership position.

So i'm undecided about Moore....I dont really think he's the right choice, however much experience/caps he has.

When Rocky was captaining the Wallabies, it appeared that Moore was doing all the talking to the referee...

The last couple of years he's definitely become more vocal, and no one can doubt he leads by example.

Has been one of Australia's best and most consistent players for a while now, and there just isn't any other genuine candidates at the Brumbies right now.

Mowen would be a possibility if he hadn't just arrived on the scene.

Otherwise there's not a lot of experience, or players who are locked into the starting XV.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
When Rocky was captaining the Wallabies, it appeared that Moore was doing all the talking to the referee...

The last couple of years he's definitely become more vocal, and no one can doubt he leads by example.

Has been one of Australia's best and most consistent players for a while now, and there just isn't any other genuine candidates at the Brumbies right now.

Mowen would be a possibility if he hadn't just arrived on the scene.

Otherwise there's not a lot of experience, or players who are locked into the starting XV.

Yeah, its our biggest weakness I think, finding a true captain. I'm open to Moore, he just hasn't really done anything that would make me think "he should be captain".

Unlike players like Pocock, Horwill, Mortlock etc etc, who just sort of assume the role without anyone even debating it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If I were a Rebels fan I'd be a bit worried about Mortlock being in the starting XV, despite his captaincy credentials...

I don't have any reservations with Moore as I feel he'll really grow into the captaincy role and has already done enough to deserve the position...

When he did get the chance to captain the Brumbies against the Stormers last year he had a blinder.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just noticed the Brumbies' site have started updating the player profile pics to show the guys in the new training polos...

I guess that's further evidence that new jerseys are on the way...

Edit: They're updating them all while I type this...

Status
Not open for further replies.