• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
If Matt To'omua can establish himself in the run on side then he might be a captaincy option, as he showed good leadership qualities as a young bloke.

T

tranquility

Mowen > Chapman.

Mowen is physical, plays tight, strong in defense and as a bonus is great at the lineout.

Chapman was ...... I'm not sure what he was good at?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Mowen, like Mitchell Chapman has been unlucky not to have received a test cap ...
Personally, I wouldn't quite rule out Mowen just yet for higher honours.

Some players just get unlucky to have a log jam for for Wallaby honors in their position. Crofty is one of these as he, Smith and Waugh were all international standard, though Smith was truly something special.

I honestly rate Mowen. In fact he has features in numerous of my "name your wallaby tri-nations squad" thread posts.

I think he is a good solid workman-like 6 but the wallabys like the kind of 6 they can have running the ball in wider channels.

Basically he's only probably got 2 or 3 more years to get that illusive first cap before he is written off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hoiles to end Brumbies tenure

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
30 Nov, 2011 04:00 AM

ACT Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles is set to sacrifice his Super Rugby career and agree to immediately end his time in Canberra.

Despite having a year remaining on his contract, it is understood Hoiles and the Brumbies are on the verge of finalising a deal which will see the veteran forward leave the club.

It would cap off a tumultuous 12months for the Brumbies who will have a new coach, skipper and revamped playing roster for 2012.

Hoiles is expected to make the selfless decision to step aside after an Achilles injury limited him to just 20minutes last season.

With the ARU cutting franchise squads to 30 players, Brumbies coach Jake White is reluctant to carry an injured player into next year.

And with Brumbies and Australian Institute of Sport doctors unable to give a definite time-frame for Hoiles's return, the 30-year-old has been negotiating with the Brumbies to prematurely leave the capital.

It means the Brumbies' leadership chasm has widened even further after the departure of established stars Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Mark Chisholm this year.

But Hoiles will put sentiment and his personal goals aside to move on to free up a roster spot for a fit player as White attempts to rebuild the club.

''I've put a lot of thought into it obviously,'' Hoiles told The Canberra Times.

''I don't want to be [in Canberra] not being able to play and I don't think the club's keen to have the same situation happen as it did this year [where I could only play 20minutes]. I could just sit down there all year and wait until I got my foot right ... that could have been in round one or round four.

''But I didn't want the club to be a man down and go through what I did this year where you feel completely helpless.''

Hoiles admitted to being ''relieved I can look at the next chapter'' with a decision on his future imminent after being in limbo over the past two weeks.

Injuries have somewhat unfairly ended his time with the Brumbies and he won't get a fitting farewell.

Hoiles took over from Stirling Mortlock as Brumbies captain in 2009 and was a leader through one of the club's most difficult eras.

He took on the responsibility of being the players' spokesman after Shawn Mackay died on the team's tour of South Africa in his first year as skipper.

Injury meant Hoiles was in Canberra when his close friend Mackay died, but he was determined to be strong for his team.

Hoiles was again spokesman when Andy Friend was sacked this year and the squad was accused of using player power at the Brumbies.

But ultimately it was his constant battle to be fit which cut short his Brumbies career.

He had Achilles and back surgery last year and tried to rush back on to the field for the Brumbies' round one clash with the Waikato Chiefs.

However, his desperation to get back into the action has meant he has been unable to play a match since February.

It is understood Hoiles will not be prevented from playing from a rival Super Rugby franchise if he is fit this year and White insisted the door was still open for him to return to the Brumbies in the future.

But Hoiles was unsure about the idea of coming back to Canberra and will likely consider offers from Australian and overseas teams.

''The Brumbies medical staff have been great with me over the last 18months and I'm going to stay in contact with them to try and get myself right,'' Hoiles said.

''It's just how things are ... it can't always finish the way you'd like it to.

''I'm not angry at the club, they've been patient with me and the players have been great.''

White praised Hoiles for making the tough decision to leave Canberra and open up an extra roster spot.

''Credit to Hoilesy, he's handling it very well and appreciates the fact that being one player down in the squad could count against the Brumbies,'' White said.

CAPTAIN'S CAREER

Stephen Hoiles

Position: No8

Brumbies captain: 2009-2011

Super Rugby games: 78 (48 Brumbies, 30 NSW Waratahs)

Super Rugby debut: 2004 v Crusaders (Waratahs)

Tests: 16 (2004-2008)

Test debut: 2004 v Scotland

Tries: 8

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...-end-brumbies-tenure/2375416.aspx?storypage=0

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hopefully we'll have a captaincy announcement next week:

White to act fast if skipper goes early

BY CHRIS DUTTON

ACT Brumbies coach Jake White is confident a Super Rugby leader will emerge in his squad if captain Stephen Hoiles finalises a deal to end his time with the club.

Should Hoiles end his contract with the Brumbies a year earlier than expected, White will be keen to find a squad replacement as soon as next week.

Hoiles - the Brumbies captain for the past three seasons - has been dogged by injuries over the past 12months and in that time played just one game.

White wants to make sure he has 30 fit players to begin the Super Rugby season next year.

Recruiting South African Danie Rossouw to fill a potential hole left by Hoiles is still an option.

However, that would largely depend on the ARU's decision on whether prop Ruaidhri Murphy is classified as Australian or a foreign-contracted player given his Irish heritage.

But White said he would need to speak to his coaching staff, should Hoiles depart, before looking at what type of player to recruit to bolster his squad.

''We have no concern Hoilesy's [Achilles] will get better ... but we don't want to rush him and we don't have time on our side,'' White said.

''We'll need to look at the squad and there are so many things which influence [which players we get in].

''Once Hoilesy is sorted and we know what's happening, then I'll make the plan to sort the squad out.''

Hoiles is set to leave a big gap in the Brumbies leadership group.

White was keen to keep Hoiles when he first took over the Brumbies' reins because of the 30-year-old's Test experience and captaincy qualities.

And with a host of other senior players - including Matt Giteau, Mark Chisholm, Rocky Elsom and Adam Ashley-Cooper - departing after last season, White will turn to a new era for leaders.

Some potential Brumbies captains are Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore, recruit Ben Mowen and hard-working outside back Pat McCabe.

However, White could also put faith in some of his rising players including Nic White or Dan Palmer.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...o-act-fast-if-skipper-goes-early/2375417.aspx

I doubt we'll see those last two as candidates...

And I wonder if it's too late to add Russouw into the mix now that there are a sufficient amount of locks in the squad?

Of course he would be a wonderful addition, but having gone and recruited other locks when it seemed like he was no long an option could upset the mix...

Reactions: DPK

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coaches already looking outside the National Academy...

John I Dent players impressing at Brumbies

BY ALYCE ANDREWS

Local John I Dent Cup players, Tom Murday and Tim Cree, from the Tuggeranong Vikings, and Tom Ruediger, from Western Districts Lions, have strapped on their boots to join the Brumbies full-time squad during pre-season training.

With Brumbies coach Jake White's tenure just beginning, he is already keen to create a sense of community by utilising young talent from the local competition.

Having been earmarked by their respective coaches, the boys have put their study and jobs on hold to take up the chance to experience life as a professional rugby player.

''It has been a great opportunity to work on everything skill and fitness-wise, with a focus solely on football,'' Ruediger said.

From training twice a week to full time, the first few weeks were tough on the legs, but with the hardest part of the battle over, the boys are starting to reap the benefits.

''I am trying to take in as much as I can. I am picking up on technical things that you don't really pick up on when you are training only twice a week,'' Cree said.

With the calibre of the Brumbies coaching staff and squad, Murday appreciates the opportunity to be mentored by players such as Ben Hand and Ben Mowen.

''They have played a lot of Super Rugby, so there is so much to learn from them. They have been really helpful, constantly giving us tips,'' Murday said.

Four weeks in and the hard work is paying off with White already impressed with their dedication and commitment, acknowledging their progression both physically and in their preparation since arriving at pre-season training.

''It is evidence that if you run a great program there will be progression. Everyone will try hard and give 100per cent, but you want to see progression and there is no doubt that these guys have improved from the first time they got here,'' White said.

''What I like about all of them is that they never shirk. Every single day, whatever load you give them, nothing is too much. They are always running up front and it's a great message.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...t-players-impressing-at-brumbies/2375660.aspx

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Murday would be a good pick up. After time with the Force and playing back in Brisbane I think he is ready to step up to super level. I've always loved watching him play since he ran around for BGS as a stringbean.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm really excited to see how the Brumbies go this year. I think there's a good chance this won't be the rebuilding year and we'll actually see some pretty good results.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
However, that would largely depend on the ARU's decision on whether prop Ruaidhri Murphy is classified as Australian or a foreign-contracted player given his Irish heritage.

My understanding is that he spent quite a bit of time in Perth growing up. Surely he would be seen as a foreign development player at worst if not a local.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
They'll unearth a few good ones locally... national academy has blinkers on and only looks mostly at AUS schools reps...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
My understanding is that he spent quite a bit of time in Perth growing up. Surely he would be seen as a foreign development player at worst if not a local.

Aussie as Clyde Rathbone... absolutely a development player... If Murphy doesn’t fit the ARU definition Id like to know who does?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Anybody willing to guess on a full strength 22?

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
6.Mowen
7. Fainga'a/Hooper
8. Vaea

9. White
10. To'omua
12. Lealiifano

Too many new faces to call it, but i'd say those one's are probables.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
his is really guessing, a lot of new talented guys some could really surprise.... but just for fun I'll have have a go...

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Power
5. Rossuow
6.Mowen
7. Fainga'a/Hooper
8. Auelua

9. White
10. To'omua
11. Speight
12. Lealiifano
13. Tomane
14. Sitauti
15. Crawford

Bench way too hard to pick, really looking forward to seeing them all play new or old Brumbies....

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know it was glossed over but can I just say that Hoiles stepping down even though he has a year left on his contract wins my top bloke move of the year award. Good to see a guy who holds the best interest of his club over his own. Many of our younger players could learn a lot from him. Legend and a servant of aus rugby, not many people who could play in both the forwards and the backs have climbed to heights like his. Well done mate

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here are the options, roughly, by position:

1. Alexander / Yanuyanutawa / Murphy
2. Moore/ Siliva / Sio
3. Palmer / Owen
4. Kimlin / Power
5. Hand / Carter
6. Mower / Sigg / Fardy
7. Hooper / Fainga'a
8. Vaea / Auelua
9. White / Prior
10. To'omua
11. Sitauti / Cox
12. Lealiifano / Coleman
13. McCabe / Tomane / Smith / Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Crawford / Holmes / Mogg

Obviously there's a few interchangeable positions there...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Here are the options, roughly, by position:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Kimlin
5. Power
6. Mowen
7. Fainga'a
8. Vaea
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Sitauti
12. Coleman
13. McCabe*
14. Speight
15. Lealifano
16. Siliva
17. Owen
18. Carter
19. Aeulua
20. Prior
21. Tomane
22. Crawford

Big competition around backrow in particular. Be interesting to see who White picks up.*

* McCabe out injured so 13. Tomane, 21. Smith/Kudriani.

Still a lot of questions regarding new guys, but interesting nevertheless.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I'll have a go. I don't know enough about the bench to pick the extras.

1. Alexander
2. Moore (C)
3. Palmer
4. Kimlin
5. Power
6. Mowen
7. Hooper
8. Vaea/Auelua
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Sitauti
12. Coleman
13. McCabe/Tomane. Ideally McCabe when he returns.
14. Speight
15. Lealifano

The forward pack looks pretty settled really, although there will be solid competition for those backrow spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.