• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I dunno Slim Coleman didn't do all that much this year to impress me. I'd pick Lealiffano over him most days of the week.

He only played a few games in his first season of super rugby.

In his first game game he was excellent and bagged himself a great solo try.

He's been a star in club rugby, Aus U20s and 7s.

He's very young, and while LILO might deserve a starting spot ahea of him, Coleman shows a lot more promise in his early age...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If we are talking about inside centre: Lilo will be more of the all-rounder type of 12 - an old-fashioned Kiwi 2nd 5 type like Aaron Mauger - or Berrick Barnes when he plays there. Coleman will be more like Gits as the 12.

Jake will appreciate Rob's running skills but he will want him to add a bit more value to supporting players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
LILO also has a mean step to him...

Has scored a few solo tries on first phase by putting on that step and slicing through the defence...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Tonight the Brumbies held a members forum with a crowd of around 60 to give a chance for the coaching staff to present their plans for the upcoming season and to also let members ask some questions about the direction the team is taking both on and off the field. This was in no way a means for members to air their grievances (a la the Waratahs fan forum) on previous performances and that would not have served any purpose since the broom has gone through the club with a many new faces in the squad and virtually a new coaching staff now in place.

Head coach Jake White was joined by CEO Andrew Fagan, assistant coach Laurie Fisher, athletic performance director Dean Benton, performance analyst Warrick Harrington and players Ben Mowen and Christian Lealiifano to share their vision for the future and give members an update of how pre-season training was progressing.

White spoke about his overall plan is to give his young squad the best chance of one day playing for the Wallabies, which was once the norm at the Brumbies. He added that the coaching staff he has assembled are the best candidates to pass on knowledge from past Brumbies successes to the new generation at the club and get it back to where it once was.

The issue of getting members of the squad back playing locally in the John I Dent Cup was a key point as White said it was a chance to connect with the community once again. A question was raised about whether this plan would include the inbound test window and White said the benefits of playing during this time would help in the long run.

White emphasised the importance of physical development with such a new squad and went on to discuss the issue of player management in terms of the realistic expectations of such a physically demanding tournament that is Super Rugby and that rotation of players is something fans may see in order to keep the squad in the best shape.

Forwards coach Laurie Fisher drew on some of his time as the forwards coach with Irish side Munster and would endeavor to implement some of the new things he picked up in his 3 years away. He admired the way the Irish players went about their physicality at training and would expect to see the same from the Brumbies forwards. He also plans to ensure his players know what to do and when to do it and eliminate the need for any complex game plan or leaving players in a vulnerable position in terms of decision making.

White has brought in Dean Benton whose credentials are well respected within the industry with the Brisbane Broncos and the Wallabies his former places of work. Benton has been instrumental in upgrading the facilities for players at Brumbies HQ with initiatives such as the introduction of a recovery centre and players canteen already implemented and the results are already showing. The nutritional element for players has been provided for the players and such a young squad with many living away from home for the first time the temptation of fast food and skinfold increases has been eliminated. Team bonding has also been a winner with the players spending more time with each other and getting to know each other better as pre-season progresses.

Next up performance analyst Warrick Harrington provided some examples of how data from training and matches is collated. For those not in the know, it looks like a simple job of recording games and that is the end of it which isn't the case as it was revealed that the morning after a match he can sometimes still be found at the office finalising data reports for the coaches as they walk in. The data is not only useful for training tools but also for medical purposes with GPS tracking a big tool for managing workload.

The players in attendance were glowing in their endorsement of what the programs in place so far and the execution to date. Lealiifano was still in doubt about Dean Benton's thought process when coming up with new drills to try out on the team after one tough session left him physically drained.

The floor was opened up for some questions from members which ranged from will the board support the coaching staff and be less interfering to who will take on the defense job and how the search for a new sponsor was going.
White revealed that he will be responsible for the defense work, a role that he undertook whilst in charge of the Springboks and had brought in a consultant from the Stormers in South Africa to help him during pre-season. The good news on the last question is that the Brumbies are very close to announcing a new sponsor after CA were unable to continue their support after 13 years.

All in all, I say the night was a success as the past season is brushed aside and the team looks forward to the 2012 season, or as Jake White called it 'Back To The Future'.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks for the feedback/report BJ, although as a tahs fan it makes me worried as a wallabies and rugby fan it makes me excited. Hopefully the brumbies have a great year.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great write up BJ, appreciate it. Wasn't able to make it this time, however the Brumbies have indicated that this won't be the only time they hold a forum.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I went along to the forum last night and BJ's summary in this thread and the blog post is fairly well on the mark. I think that the prevailing attitude of the members who attended was a willingness to learn about the plans for 2012 rather than seeking recriminations for 2011. The contrast with what was reported about about the Waratahs' forum was noticeable, only a couple of members made pointed comments about the past year but their overall questions were generally positive. I was very impressed with the attention to detail that management and coaching staff are taking to prepare for the new season.

One of the big challenges for Brumbies management will be to get the general public back to the stadium to support the team. There is a solid core of support, with over 6500 memberships for the 2012 season, but the casual supporters have stopped coming over the past few years. The plans that the Brumbies have sound positive and I hope their efforts translate into a good crowd for the first game.

The vibe around town is that this is a new year and even if the team doesn't make the finals at least they will put in a good effort. The ad where the team acknowledges they let their supporters down has generated a lot of goodwill from what I've experienced.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Good to hear you made it Rugbyskier.

I thought the questions asked from the floor were reasonable and shows that people are concerned and care about the future of the team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
This forum thing. Very un-Jake like. Seems he has softened at the edges. Normally not one to give a toss what anayone else thought.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just as there's a difference between hearing and listening, there's a difference between hearing what anyone else thinks and giving a toss what they think.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
If we are talking about inside centre: Lilo will be more of the all-rounder type of 12 - an old-fashioned Kiwi 2nd 5 type like Aaron Mauger - or Berrick Barnes when he plays there. Coleman will be more like Gits as the 12.

Jake will appreciate Rob's running skills but he will want him to add a bit more value to supporting players.
I think that Coleman is a special talent and would thrive outside of To'omua. Why is Lilo at 15 such a bad idea?

T

tranquility

Yeah fair call Spectator, but he isnt there yet. If he is as good as we think he is, make him take that position off Lilo through cameos off the bench. Lilo is also a good talent, and not a natural 15 so its not fair on him as he is proably the more complete player at the moment.

Besides the last two season that Lilo has played 12, he has almost been the form Aussy 12 before injury has struck. This season he was breaking the line at will, doing that tough against the grain line that any good 12 has in his reportoire.

Spoilt for riches.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just as there's a difference between hearing and listening, there's a difference between hearing what anyone else thinks and giving a toss what they think.

Ah okay I didn't think he was only pretending :)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ah okay I didn't think he was only pretending :)

Maybe your first post was right, maybe he has softened at the edges. Next thing you know, he'll start getting his flanker jersey numbers mixed up. Then it's all downhill from there... ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies expected to spill blood at training

Laurie Fisher wants more mongrel in the ACT Brumbies forward pack and has urged his players to be more aggressive towards each other to prepare for the Super Rugby season.
Although most coaches shy away from having teammates belt each other at training, Fisher believes fierce rivalries and occasional scuffles will boost the Brumbies' chances of on-field success next year.

It's a philosophy he developed during his stint as the Munster forwards coach in Ireland over the past three years.

Training sessions would rarely go by without players turning on each other and punches being exchanged on the field.

It sounds like a toxic recipe for in-fighting. But Fisher wants to bring the same ruthless attitude to Canberra and warned his players to expect to spill blood in ruck and maul sessions despite being three mouths out from the first game of the season.

''[At Munster] they were disappointed if two blokes didn't come to blows by the end of the training,'' Fisher said.

''I don't think [that attitude] is here naturally, it's something we have to build.

''It's not that the guys here shy away from it, but it's not something they've been consistently asked to produce at training.

''We had a maul session last Friday which was probably 80-90per cent and we'll have a genuine crack [today] ... I'll be expecting people not to hold anything back.''

Fisher is attempting to reinvigorate the Brumbies forward pack after it was left battered and bruised last season. The team lacked a physical presence at the breakdown and it was a major contributor to the Brumbies' dismal results.

Fisher was the Brumbies' head coach for three years before joining Munster at the end of 2008.

Now he has returned as Jake White's forwards coach and been given the task of turning an inexperienced pack into one capable of matching the most dominant teams in the competition.

One of the Brumbies recruits who could get a chance to prove himself in the forward pack is Scott Sio, who admits making the transition to his first professional contract has been tougher than he expected.

Australian under-20s prop Sio is the second youngest player in the Brumbies squad.

He was added to the five-man extended player squad because he has the ability to play tight-head and loose-head prop as well as hooker.

The 116kg, 20-year-old said he was trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible so ''I can impress the coaches when I get my chance''.

''I've learned a lot of the little technical subtleties ... just with my versatility making sure I learn different manoeuvres in the scrum,'' Sio said.

''Laurie has come back and really hit us hard with a lot of breakdown and set-piece stuff we need to know.

''In Ireland they grow up with that aggression, here we're a bit more athletic and the stuff we're doing is building that aggression up and it's becoming more natural.''

Page 2 of 3Laurie Fisher wants more mongrel in the ACT Brumbies forward pack and has urged his players to be more aggressive towards each other to prepare for the Super Rugby season.
Although most coaches shy away from having teammates belt each other at training, Fisher believes fierce rivalries and occasional scuffles will boost the Brumbies' chances of on-field success next year.

It's a philosophy he developed during his stint as the Munster forwards coach in Ireland over the past three years.

Training sessions would rarely go by without players turning on each other and punches being exchanged on the field.

It sounds like a toxic recipe for in-fighting. But Fisher wants to bring the same ruthless attitude to Canberra and warned his players to expect to spill blood in ruck and maul sessions despite being three mouths out from the first game of the season.

''[At Munster] they were disappointed if two blokes didn't come to blows by the end of the training,'' Fisher said.

''I don't think [that attitude] is here naturally, it's something we have to build.

''It's not that the guys here shy away from it, but it's not something they've been consistently asked to produce at training.

''We had a maul session last Friday which was probably 80-90per cent and we'll have a genuine crack [today] ... I'll be expecting people not to hold anything back.''

Fisher is attempting to reinvigorate the Brumbies forward pack after it was left battered and bruised last season. The team lacked a physical presence at the breakdown and it was a major contributor to the Brumbies' dismal results.

Fisher was the Brumbies' head coach for three years before joining Munster at the end of 2008.

Now he has returned as Jake White's forwards coach and been given the task of turning an inexperienced pack into one capable of matching the most dominant teams in the competition.

One of the Brumbies recruits who could get a chance to prove himself in the forward pack is Scott Sio, who admits making the transition to his first professional contract has been tougher than he expected.

Page 3 of 3
Australian under-20s prop Sio is the second youngest player in the Brumbies squad.

He was added to the five-man extended player squad because he has the ability to play tight-head and loose-head prop as well as hooker.

The 116kg, 20-year-old said he was trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible so ''I can impress the coaches when I get my chance''.

''I've learned a lot of the little technical subtleties ... just with my versatility making sure I learn different manoeuvres in the scrum,'' Sio said.

''Laurie has come back and really hit us hard with a lot of breakdown and set-piece stuff we need to know.

''In Ireland they grow up with that aggression, here we're a bit more athletic and the stuff we're doing is building that aggression up and it's becoming more natural.''

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies mourn the passing of Maureen Larkham

The ACT & Southern NSW Rugby Union community is mourning the passing of Maureen Larkham.

The wife of President Geoff and mother of Brumbies legend Stephen passed away on Thursday.

Such is the massive impact of Mrs Larkham’s passing that she was mentioned by both the Prime Minister Julia Gillard and the Opposition Leader Tony Abbott during the House of Representatives sitting on Thursday.

The entire Brumbies Rugby community would like to send their condolences to the Larkham family in this difficult time.

Maureen’s funeral will take place on Tuesday, 29 November at 10.30am at St John's Church Reid.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe your first post was right, maybe he has softened at the edges. Next thing you know, he'll start getting his flanker jersey numbers mixed up. Then it's all downhill from there... ;)

After all the only fetcher he needs is his son. To fetch him another beer from the fridge.

:)

B

Bilby

Word is S.Hoiles mutually agreed to step out of the Brumbies picture......BJ what's the goss on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.