• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There are not too many S15 teams where Ale would be able to replace the current crop of 7s.
Waratahs Alcock & McCutcheon
Reds Robinson & Quirk
Force Pocock & Hodgson
Brumbies Fainga'a & Hooper
Rebels Lipman & Saffy
That is why I mentioned earlier that he may go offshore.

Before this year he didn't really put us on notice that he was quality as a senior player. Now we know that he is, overseas clubs do also. He's the standard of player that may interest a Pro D2 (French 2nd division) team and their scouts would know Oz Super teams are chock-a-block with 7s.

He may not be good enough for Super Rugby or the Top14 now and may never be, but a Pro D2 team may take a punt with the 21 y.o. as Pau did with another Manly backrower, Marlon Solofuti. G&G member, GreenFrogg, said Marlon is performing well over there.

Not to the point, but Aussies going to the Pro D2 won't be on top dollar, or euro, as the Top14 players are, but they wouldn't be getting just grocery money either. In France they get paid down to 3rd division.

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
Makes sense considering he played U20 for Tonga and in France would that not see him be considered a local

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ACT trio up to professional challenge

The cream of Canberra’s John I Dent Cup has been given a special opportunity to join the main squad for preseason, with Tom Ruediger, Tim Cree and Tom Murday all spending time at Brumbies HQ until Christmas.

All three of the boys were standout performers for their club teams (Ruediger with Wests and the other two with Vikings) during the 2011 John I Dent Cup.

Their quality performances earned them all a spot in the grand final and starting positions with the ACT XV. But Head Coach Jake White said he was excited by the enthusiasm and effort shown by the three players and offered them a full-time spot until Christmas.

All three players will again turn out for the John I Dent Cup in 2012 and are now within earshot of a Super Rugby call up should the opportunity arise.

It’s a tremendous boost for the Canberra competition, which has in previous years struggled to keep players from heading to Sydney. The 2012 John I Dent Cup will feature Super Rugby players in every side, evenly spread to ensure a gripping competition.

Ruediger, Cree and Murday were joined by fellow John I Dent Cup players Jesse Mogg and Colby Fainga'a at the start of Brumbies preseason. With all five players having come from Wests and Vikings, the two teams promise to launch another serious attack on the ACT’s Premier competition.

http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Article/tabid/1213/ArticleID/4963/Default.aspx

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Slim, another example of Jake White motivating the local players and involving local clubs... Good luck to the lads who got this wonderful opportunity... Talent is rare, opportunity is...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's certainly a handy recruitment tool - loving the fact that the Brumbies are taking positive steps to lift the profile and standard of the local comp. It won't just be the Brumbies 'outside of the 22' and fringe players, but others travelling from NZ and across Australia looking for opportunities.

Hopefully it all correlates with increased support for the Brumbies too - Canberra Stadium has been too quiet for too long.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Lealiifano set to get crack at Brumbies' No 12

Jake White is starting to put his ACT Brumbies puzzle together and is ready to back Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano as his flyhalf-inside centre combination.
And Lealiifano wants to use the lessons learned from playing next to Matt Giteau to become a Brumbies leader and help create a dynamic back line.
Despite being three months out from the season, White gave the first indication yesterday he was already piecing together his line-up for the Super Rugby campaign.
Although adamant all positions were still up for grabs and nothing was ''cast in stone'', it appears Lealiifano will get first crack at the No12 jersey with To'omua to take the flyhalf reins.
''Part of the deal [with Lealiifano] is I want him to be close to the ball so he will probably play at No12 so he can get his hands on the ball as many times as he can,'' White said.
''The bottom line is nothing is cast in stone, but I'd like to help Christian play a higher level and give him an opportunity to play for the Wallabies ... At this point in time, we're running with him at 12.
''... It's a new start in terms of Matt Giteau has left and there's an opportunity for a new 10-12 combination. Christian and Matt [To'omua] play really well together.
''There's a picture in my mind of how we want to play, there's a picture in my mind of how the team will look, but the test will be when we play against another team.''
In a young and inexperienced back line, Lealiifano and To'omua will be the leaders with Pat McCabe to miss the first five weeks of the season as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
McCabe played inside centre at the end of the last Super Rugby season and was Robbie Deans's first-choice No12 for the Wallabies' World Cup campaign.
If the Lealiifano-To'omua combination is a success, it's likely White will stick with it even when McCabe returns to the action.
But White has spoken with Deans to make sure having McCabe play in a different position will not harm his chances of future Wallabies selection.
Lealiifano is excited about the prospect of shouldering more responsibility.
The 24-year-old made his Super Rugby debut in 2008 and was part of a tri-halves system with To'omua and Giteau last season when the trio rotated the playmaking duties during games.
With White recruiting young players yet to establish themselves in Super Rugby instead of experienced stars, Lealiifano and To'omua will be expected to lead the back line.
It's a stark contrast to when Lealiifano first came to the Brumbies Academy in 2006 and watched Stirling Mortlock, Matt Giteau, Stephen Larkham and George Gregan boss the team around.
''It's a bit weird, I was always the young kid with guys like Stirlo, Gits and [Adam Ashley-Cooper] around, but the experience I had with those guys has helped me,'' Lealiifano said.
''We've got to keep up the standards that those greats set and slowly build it for us. Everyone is looking for you to perform at training and when it matters, but I'm happy to take that role.''
Lealiifano has spent the past two seasons trying to find his feet in the back line.
He played flyhalf while Giteau was with the Western Force before being swapped between inside centre and fullback. He is keen to make the inside centre spot his own after two years of niggling injuries.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still see McCabe as a 13 anyways... And I really hope be doesn't get shunted to wing/fullback...

Particularly when we have so many young guys better suited to play there...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I still see McCabe as a 13 anyways... And I really hope be doesn't get shunted to wing/fullback...

Particularly when we have so many young guys better suited to play there...

IIRC McCabe made his name as a fullback. In the Sydney competition, incidentally.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He did, but the move into the centres was always on the cards, but it just happened to be one further in...

He was actually supposed to play at 13 against the Tahs last year until he got injured...

If Lilo move in, it opens up a chance for Crawford or even Holmes to play fullback.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Unless he can settle into a position I see McCabe being dicked around AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) style which won't be good for his game. 13 would be my best bet for him given the talent on the Brumbies roster.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
IIRC McCabe made his name as a fullback. In the Sydney competition, incidentally.

McCabe made a big name for himself in his debut year with the Brumbies in 2010 which had many touting him as a future Wallaby and saw him take out the Super 14 rookie of the year award, but it was on the wing.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
It's hard to believe but Lealiifano, To'omua and McCabe will be considered the experienced leaders of the backline since many have moved on. And from hearing what Jake White says it will be a big year for the first 2 mentioned so unless there is an injury crisis, those 2 won't be moved around.

Other than those 2, all the other spots are up for grabs since there has been very little talk of who will be playing where. It's a good way to keep players on their toes during training since there have been no promises made.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Considering who the Brumbies have recruited, and being down as a centre I doubt we will see McCabe play any wider than 13, and that's a good thing.

He had all the qualities to become a destructive centre.

How long is Lilo signed on for? He really doesn't have too many opportunities left with Robbie Coleman around.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I dunno Slim Coleman didn't do all that much this year to impress me. I'd pick Lealiffano over him most days of the week.

This was kind of impressive. But I agree, I wouldn't want to lose Lealiifano, when he is fit he is one of our best.
[video=youtube;NAILKCIuwMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAILKCIuwMs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Depends on how the Brumbies want to play. McCabe at 15 would not be a bad move if they play with a lot of ball in hand. He could fill the sort of role the Reds got out of Peter Hynes in 2010.

Besides McCabe what are the Brumbies 13 options?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
This was kind of impressive. But I agree, I wouldn't want to lose Lealiifano, when he is fit he is one of our best.
[video=youtube;NAILKCIuwMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAILKCIuwMs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Is it just me or do the chiefs players all look so much bigger than the brumbies?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
very impressive but other then that didn't really offer much else. went missing a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.