• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hooper is very very good fetcher and has an excellent running and passing game. If Gill demonstrates more talent he will be damn good
Agree fatprop. When I first saw Hooper in the 2008 Schools tournament in Canberra, still with a year to go at school, he looked like an outstanding prospect. He was the best player of the week IMO though older boys got picked in the Oz Schools team and he had to be content with Oz A. Later in the year I noticed that one, Liam Gill, was named as player of the Oz 2008 U/16 tournament up in Queensland, and I thought, hello, this is going to be a good contest between these two blokes in the Opens in 2009.

Unfortunately Hooper missed most of his Yr.12 season and had to have a shoulder reconstruction, but Gill didn't disappoint when I saw him for the first time at the tournament at Knox in 2009. I wrote then that Hooper and Gill would eventually be pushing Pocock (who was then pushing Smith) in the future, if they became big enough men, as they both had skill and ticker.

Not all prognostications of schools players pan out, and this one hasn't yet either, but there are good signs from both these young stars.

Incidentally, if Hooper decides to come home to Sydney to play his Super rugby I would not be entirely upset.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Their used to be a tribute video for Hooper during his Manly colts days but I can't find it :(

This one shows his dominance at the JWC11 though, forgot how well he played

[video=youtube;OBg7F4y0V6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBg7F4y0V6w&feature=related[/video]

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I think you'll find that Hooper will be behind Fainga'a for the starting position.

What hasn't helped Hooper is that his club side Manly played him at inside centre for some games. That is hardly a good use of resources and probably set him back to some degree.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It makes no sense, anyone who watched the u20 games would tell you Hooper is a better 7 than Fainga'a.

Why the hell doesn't does Kotoni Ale (Manly's 7) not have Super contract anyway

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think you'll find that Hooper will be behind Fainga'a for the starting position.

What hasn't helped Hooper is that his club side Manly played him at inside centre for some games. That is hardly a good use of resources and probably set him back to some degree.

Manly did the same with George Smith

Hopefully he returns to civilization at the end of his contract

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good pick qwerty about Ale.

And it ties in with something I wrote in my previous post. Ale was the player who kept Hooper out of the 2008 Oz Schools team. I was happy when I found out he was coming to the Rats in 2009 but bloody hell, openside flanker was one of our positions were we had class, with Beau Robinson and Lipman at the club.

He looked good when he moved to Grade and after his injuries cleared up he got a chance in the Ones every now and then, but he went to Manly to get more game time in 1st Grade. By this time though Robinson and Lipman were no longer available so he could have stayed at the Rats. Rumour had it that Manly threw money at him so he probably would have gone there anyway.

I had a good look at him at Rat Park this year when he played for Manly in the derby match. Standing next to him you appreciate how he has muscled up and though he is not the biggest Marlin in the ocean he plays a very hard game, is difficult to dislodge at the breakdown and is a fine linker.

He's definitely a fringe Super player now and as such, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an offer offshore, though that reads a bit strange.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Colby is a Dusautoir style 7. That is, more of a leightweight 6/8 who is heavily engaged at the breakdown.

Hooper should definitely start at 7 as I think he's shown to be the better openside, and has the fetcher abilities the Brumbies need.

Colby should really be battling with Hoiles for the bench spot as they're more the similar kind of player. Hoiles' advantage is that his size makes him another lineout option, and he has the experience amongst a young playing group.

T

tranquility

Do you moving bodies? because you rarely see Colby even attempt to pilfer

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Both have their advantages, Colby more physically dominate, Michael more proficient in the pilfer. Both good linkmen with ball playing skills and both have good pace. Both have captained Australia and have leadership qualities. Despite the moans and groans which followed last season, I don't mind them playing 6-7 together as they have over the years in various rep teams. Good problem to have anyway.

I think Colby is a Dusautoir style 7. That is, more of a leightweight 6/8 who is heavily engaged at the breakdown.

That description fits almost all opensides.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Colby is big enough to play regularly at 6, and the Brumbies have Mowen (and Hoiles, Kimlin and Fotu would be better 6 alternatives).

Also, I definitely wouldn't say that Colby is more physically dominant than Hooper.

I think the fact that Hooper can pilfer gives him a bigger skillset than Colby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It makes no sense, anyone who watched the u20 games would tell you Hooper is a better 7 than Fainga'a.

Why the hell doesn't does Kotoni Ale (Manly's 7) not have Super contract anyway

Played against him a few years ago during school, fucking talented, good to see he is still playing union, given alot of the Auggies boys turn to league.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The first time I saw him was in Yr 11 when he was a reserve for the NSW Ones. He'd come off the bench to play 7 one day 8 another day and 6 on a third - and all with impact. He played 8 in the 2008 tournament but got picked as 7 for Oz Schools so that Butler could play in the same pack; so Hooper, a Yr 11 guy missed out on selection in the main team.

His size probably limits him to 7 in the pro game but, my word he has skills for all of the back row positions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, word is (based on recent preseason training) that Hooper is the fittest guy in the squad.

Although George Smith was always the complete opposite...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The first time I saw him was in Yr 11 when he was a reserve for the NSW Ones. He'd come off the bench to play 7 one day 8 another day and 6 on a third - and all with impact. He played 8 in the 2008 tournament but got picked as 7 for Oz Schools so that Butler could play in the same pack; so Hooper, a Yr 11 guy missed out on selection in the main team.

His size probably limits him to 7 in the pro game but, my word he has skills for all of the back row positions.

Seems pretty quick too - almost outside back quick?

K

Keithy

There are not too many S15 teams where Ale would be able to replace the current crop of 7s.
Waratahs Alcock & McCutcheon
Reds Robinson & Quirk
Force Pocock & Hodgson
Brumbies Fainga'a & Hooper
Rebels Lipman & Saffy

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
George never beeped well, but when it came to game time he was everywhere.

This is so true, I can't count the number of times over the years when George would always be there to shut down a break, dive on a loose ball or spark a bit of attack from nothing. So much so that several years ago me and my mates coined the term "chucking a Smith" meaning turning up at the right place at the right time. We still use it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.