• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From the Crimes...

Brumbies areset to pen in Coleman at inside centre

BY LEE GASKIN
13 Feb, 2011 01:00 AM

HISTORY will repeat for the ACT Brumbies if they throw untried 20-year-old inside centre Robbie Coleman into the Super Rugby cauldron.
Eight years ago the ACT took a similar course of action with Matt Giteau.

Coleman has the inside running at the No12 jersey for the Brumbies' season-opener against the Waikato Chiefs at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

While coach Andy Friend won't settle on his team until tomorrow, Coleman pushed his case for a starting debut with an assured 80-minute performance in the Brumbies' 21-all draw with the Wellington Hurricanes last Thursday.

Hooker Stephen Moore sees a lot of similarities between the 20-year-old and the player who is expected to skipper the Brumbies from flyhalf.

''He looks a lot like Gits when he first came on to the scene,'' Moore said of Coleman.

''If he can become the player Gits [is], that's going to be great for the Brumbies.''

''There's definitely a comparison there.''

Giteau made his debut off the bench for the Brumbies in 2003 as a fresh-faced 20-year-old, before starting the final nine games of the regular season.

That was the beginning of a remarkable career which has already yielded 91 Test and 89 Super Rugby caps.

Dig a bit deeper and you soon discover the pair are cut from the same cloth.

Both are products of the esteemed St Edmund's College rugby nursery.

Both fine-tuned their games for the Queanbeyan Whites.

Both spent time in the Australian Sevens and national junior representative teams.

In Coleman's case, it was only last year when he shone brightly at the IRB Junior World Championships, leading to him being nominated for the IRB junior player of the year award, won by New Zealand's Julian Savea.

Coleman credits a full pre-season with the Brumbies, devoid of commitments to the sevens team, for his rapid progress.

Stand-out performances against both the Queensland Reds and the Hurricanes has thrust him up the pecking order in the Brumbies' inside centre ranks.

Coleman held his own against All Blacks regulars Aaron Cruden, Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith, catching the eye of Brumbies coach Andy Friend in the process.

''There's always a question mark when you're putting a younger player like that out, especially against the 10, 12, 13 which have been in the All Blacks jersey last year, but Robbie handled himself really well,'' Friend said.

''It looked like he was very comfortable and I was very impressed with him.''

Coleman is taking everything in his stride, an admirable quality for a player whose only Super Rugby experience is a late appearance off the bench against the Reds last season.

Nothing fazes him. Not even the prospect of slowing down the barnstorming 108kg Nonu, who at full flight resembles an out-of-control freight train.

Despite giving away more than 20kg to his opposing inside centre, Coleman didn't shirk his defensive responsibilities when called to duty.

''I suppose every centre gives away a bit of size to Ma'a,'' Coleman said.

''Obviously I was pretty confident going in there.

''I knew if I hit him low and got in his face ... I wasn't too worried at all really.

''My strength is more my speed and getting on the outside, but I don't mind defence.''

Friend will name his team to face the Chiefs tomorrow. Coleman was confident he could rise to the challenge if given a chance.

''If I get the opportunity I think I'm ready,'' Coleman said.

''But there's the likes of Matty To'omua and Tyrone [Smith] as well, so I don't know which way they'll go. Excited if I do get a shot, but if not I'll be happy with the 80 minutes I got against the Hurricanes.''

The Brumbies delighted supporters at yesterday's fan day held at Griffith Oval, where several hundred youngsters turned up for the event.

SATURDAY

Super 15 round one: ACT Brumbies v Waikato Chiefs at Canberra Stadium, 7.40pm.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I noticed in that picture that Coleman is signing a 2011 squad poster...

Does that mean that the Brumbies have finalised their lineup and they can actually put it on their website?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HISTORY will repeat for the ACT Brumbies if they throw untried 20-year-old inside centre Robbie Coleman into the Super Rugby cauldron.
Eight years ago the ACT took a similar course of action with Matt Giteau.
after he had toured with the wallabies and played 2 tests.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That will be literally wonderful if Coleman starts at 12 as it will fill us with wonder. We are always interested in a new Oz kid on the block and if, as a 12, he could deal with Nonu in the trial, it provides us punters who haven't got to see him a lot with another piece to the puzzle.

He was an Oz Schools Ones flyhalf but I didn't rate him a lot. ACT folks will know him well but it wasn't until I saw him in the Oz U/20s last year that he took my eye. For instance, I never appreciated how fast he was.

It is too early to nominate a team for next week but I will be looking forward to seeing his name listed - at least in the 22.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Crimes are anything to go by there could be some interesting selections with Coleman, Palmer and Vaea all possibly starting...

Should officially find out tomorrow...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Try playing against Robbie (Coleman).

Quite a few around the ACT and Queanbeyan aren't surprised at how well he is going. Top bloke too.

I can remember playing with him at the Queanbeyan blues - it was hilarious seeing Robbie cutting down kids 5-6 years older than him for fun.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I honestly think, with the form shown by Vaea in the last two trials, he is the Brumbies Answer to a Wycliff Palu...Big, Dynamic, he is what the Brumbies need for some go forward grunt that has been lacking and to give the backs some good go forward ball....

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Beggars belief really. How the hell did this guy not get a red carpet ride into one of the S14 (now S15) setups? I watched Pocock at 12 for Churchie and he was imposing, but I'm not sure he was good enough to make schoolboys in that position.

Jack Lam was certainly a very....direct centre

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I honestly think, with the form shown by Vaea in the last two trials, he is the Brumbies Answer to a Wycliff Palu...Big, Dynamic, he is what the Brumbies need for some go forward grunt that has been lacking and to give the backs some good go forward ball....

He certainly showed those attributes in the Shute Shield. Perhaps the injury to Hoiles will give him an opportunity that he will seize with both hands.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I see the Canberra Times is picking Vaea to play 8 with Hoiles on the bench - no doubt from watching the Brumbies train yesterday.

LIKELY BRUMBIES TEAM

1. Ben Alexander, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Dan Palmer, 4. Ben Hand, 5. Mark Chisholm, 6. Mitchell Chapman, 7. Julian Salvi, 8. Ita Vaea, 9. Josh Valentine, 10. Matt Giteau, 11. Francis Fainifo, 12. Robbie Coleman, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14. Henry Speight, 15. Pat McCabe.

The full article is here:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/brumbies-to-unleash-behemoth-with-hoiles-on-the-bench-20110214-1asu4.html

At 108 kgs Vaea is hardly a behemoth, as they say in the headline, but he does play a heavy game for his weight. On the other hand he does not have Hoiles' linking skills. Let's see how he goes if he gets to start.

Am also looking forward to seeing Coleman at 12 and Palmer at 3, if that's the way it is.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's a big pack! I actually really like the look of that team. Will need Hand and Chis to man up, but all the elements are there for a good season. I probably have some questions over the back 3. Less so McCabe himself, more as a fullback. Probably through ignorance more than anything else though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't worry about McCabe as a fullback; his surety at the back for the Rats and his attacking ability in open play are strengths of his. One can never be sure how this transposes to Super Rugby and playing under lights though. Let's see.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Confirmed team (which will go in the wiki page shortly....)

15. Pat McCabe, 14. Henry Speight, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12. Robbie Coleman, 11. Francis Fainifo, 10. Matt Giteau (c), 9 Josh Valentine, 8. Ita Vaea, 7. Julian Salvi, 6. Mitchell Chapman, 5. Mark Chisholm, 4. Ben Hand, 3. Dan Palmer, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Ben Alexander

16. Huia Edmonds, 17. Salesi Ma'afu, 18. Stephen Hoiles, 19. Colby Fainga'a, 20. Patrick Phibbs, 21. Matt To'omua, 22. Andrew Smith

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The leadership group comprises 3 players- Stephen Hoiles, Rocky Elsom and Matt Giteau. With Hoiles starting off the bench and Elsom injured, it doesn't leave any other option.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gitts is a decent leader by example but he seems to give the other blokes in his team a spray too often.

I'd hope Moore got captain.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually not a bad team. The backline is a bit small however, could struggle defending against big centres.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good point, although I doubt the Canes would've played to the Brumbies' weakness in that area in the trial. We'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.