• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I think Friend is a good coach, but his support staff are pathetic, with that being said, Friend does have the final say, but I think having a good support staff around you makes you a better coach...With Cuputo, Harrison and hate to say it, Larkham all unproven...all i can see the Brumbies finishing is the worst of the Aust teams....look out for the Force i think....they might be the dark horses...but I think the order will be Tahs, Reds, Rebels, Force and the Brumbies a distant last..

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Brumbies are a team with lots of potential but weather that is realized will make or break their year. There's a danger that alot of these kids with potential, McCabe, Leal, ecc could just become journeymen very quickly. Larkham is a clevar bloke with a great mind for control and attack. Will be exciting to see what he can do.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The team for the start of the main match match tomorrow looks like:

1 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
3 Dan Palmer
4 Ben Hand
5 Mark Chisholm
6 Mitchell Chapman
7 Julian Salvi
8 Ita Vaea
9 Josh Valentine
10 Matt Giteau (C)
11 Francis Fainifo
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 Pat McCabe

If this changes I'll be sure to let you know.

Stu Dickinson will be the referee.

Nothing from the Hurricanes yet either.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

1 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
3 Dan Palmer
4 Ben Hand
5 Mark Chisholm
6 Mitchell Chapman
7 Julian Salvi
8 Ita Vaea
9 Josh Valentine
10 Matt Giteau (C)
11 Francis Fainifo
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 Pat McCabe

Will be a big test of a starting debut for Coleman if the Canes name Nonu at inside.. hope he goes well he's a talent

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

1 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
3 Dan Palmer
4 Ben Hand
5 Mark Chisholm
6 Mitchell Chapman
7 Julian Salvi
8 Ita Vaea
9 Josh Valentine
10 Matt Giteau (C)
11 Francis Fainifo
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 Pat McCabe

I'm hoping they will give Coleman the opportunity and if the Canes field a full strength centre partnership it will be a good test for him...

I think a Giteau / T Smith combination will just not work...

So if Friend is going to persist with the idea of Giteau as a flyhalf we need a better class of inside centre...

Also, it will be nice if they give Vaea another opportunity... I think we all know that playing both Salvi and Fainga'a is a good risk-free option but it would be ideal if the Brumbies had a proper no. 8...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
so if Giteau is at 10. Can T. Smith play 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13?.. thoughts anyone?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
so if Giteau is at 10. Can T. Smith play 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 13?.. thoughts anyone?

As I've already said, if Giteau is going to play at flyhalf then they'll need someone better than Tyrone at 12...

Hopefully Robbie Coleman impresses...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

1 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
3 Dan Palmer
4 Ben Hand
5 Mark Chisholm
6 Mitchell Chapman
7 Julian Salvi
8 Ita Vaea
9 Josh Valentine
10 Matt Giteau (C)
11 Francis Fainifo
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 Pat McCabe

Good front row. Otherwise a very weak pack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good front row. Otherwise a very weak pack.

Really?

It's a pretty solid locking combo...

They'll do good in the scrum and supply the Brumbies with a reliable lineout... even better with Chapman also on the field...

And Chapman was stellar last time he played at blindside for the Brumbies... good go forward and excels in offloading in the tackle...

Obviously there's a weakness at the back there with Vaea being inexperienced, but otherwise I think it's a pretty solid pack...

It'll of course be better with a fit Elsom, Hoiles and Kimlin...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, in regards to Chisholm - I think it would be nice if he brought back some of his ball running...

I know he's been trying to work more in the tight, but with the Brumbies we've already got Hand taking care of that, and it would help them to have him bring back some of that go forward he used to bring with him...

T

tranquility

What are the chances that Palmer will nail the TH spot for round 1 of the real stuff? Ma'afu is just not up to it, and that is not being over critical.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
On the subject of THP's...

Change in the air in Canberra - Wayne Smiths article below? Sounds like the ponies have climbed down from forcing Ben Alexander to play LH. Can only be a good thing. The way things are going at present we might go from the shithouse to.... the mezzanine level at least with the Wallaby front row. Seems the threat of losing him to Europe for a while forced their hand.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...exander-a-brumby/story-fn6aueer-1226003311014

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
On the subject of THP's...Change in the air in Canberra - Wayne Smiths article below? Sounds like the ponies have climbed down from forcing Ben Alexander to play LH. Can only be a good thing. The way things are going at present we might go from the shithouse to.... the mezzanine level at least with the Wallaby front row. Seems the threat of losing him to Europe for a while forced their hand.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...exander-a-brumby/story-fn6aueer-1226003311014

Dan Palmer will be shitting bricks. Next year he has to get in front of Alexander and Maafu to win a spot. I'll bet he wishes he went to the Force or stayed at the Tahs now. And if the Fuse retires at the end of this season there's a big opening - he was next in line. Given how little respect there is for THP's scrummaging amongst Australian selectors his best bet is probably to wriggle out of his contract and go to Europe for a couple of years and come back with all that real THP experience ready for the 2015 WC.

Friend had to be involved with the negotiations to bring Palmer to the Brumbies last year. What was said then and what they've committed to Alexander now in my view is a breach of faith that weakens the Brumbies bargaining position considerably.

All of this stems from Hickey's stubborn refusal to rotate the THP props for a week or two last year to give Palmer a chance to show what he could do when the Fuse retires. Seemed like a small thing at the time but the dominos just keep falling. If anyone thinks this is hindsight see the posts from around March/April. I wasn't the only one going ballistic. I said then it was bone-headed and I haven't changed my view since.

And if anyone thinks Palmer's not really any good, have a look at the Uni-Southern Districts final last year in the ten minutes before half time. The Uni scrum was getting creamed and only the refs (pig-headed) refusal to award a penalty try saved them and gave Uni the momentum going into the second half. He's got to improve his defence around the park a bit, but that will come with experience. He is Australia's best young THP prospect and its daylight second. Right now I'd put his scrummaging in front of Slipper's - that opinion might change after round two, I am eagerly waiting to see how Slipper goes up against Robinson.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Palmer played more than half-season as the starting TH when Baxter was injured throughout 2009 didn't he? He was more than capable then, Hickey should've seen it too.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)

1 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
3 Dan Palmer
4 Ben Hand
5 Mark Chisholm
6 Mitchell Chapman
7 Julian Salvi
8 Ita Vaea
9 Josh Valentine
10 Matt Giteau (C)
11 Francis Fainifo
12 Robbie Coleman
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
14 Henry Speight
15 Pat McCabe

The above team is confirmed

Hurricanes, Hurricanes: 1. John Schwalger, 2. Andrew Hore, 3. Neemia Tialata, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Jason Eaton, 6. Victor Vito, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Faifili Levave, 9. Tyson Keats, 10. Aaron Cruden, 11. Julian Savea, 12. Ma'a Nonu, 13. Conrad Smith, 14. Andre Taylor, 15. Cory Jane.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On the subject of THP's...

Change in the air in Canberra - Wayne Smiths article below? Sounds like the ponies have climbed down from forcing Ben Alexander to play LH. Can only be a good thing. The way things are going at present we might go from the shithouse to.... the mezzanine level at least with the Wallaby front row. Seems the threat of losing him to Europe for a while forced their hand.

OK, my guess is that in rotation Alexander will get time at THP, essentially that means they need a LHP (Jerry I guess) to play from the bench or start depending on the game; or they just have Alexander, Maafu & Palmer all playing a bit of LHP and lose a load of mobility.

The Brumbies should try to poach Tilse or Kepu, the Tahs have 3 quality LHPs and one is going to miss out and be looking for more game time

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not a bad Canes team - doubt the Brumbies will win the trial unless they (meaning their squad players, as their starts return) improve massively from the trial vs the Reds.

That backrow of the Canes will be dynamic - Levave and Vito in particular can really get around the park. That's a pretty good S14 pack, but I think that the way to take the game to that Canes pack is to play it tight and hard, as a lot of them will like to play a bit loose. The Canes also have, arguably, the best midfield (12, 13) in the S14. Robbie Coleman is going to get a real testing out.

No idea on either of the Canes wings. Anyone know anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.