• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Brumbies essentially have the same squad as last year...

The only big loss is George Smith, and a player of that calibre is rare and would be a huge loss to any team...

But, they're probably better off in more areas than last year with the recruitment of Palmer and Speight... Kimlin hopefully fit, and the promotion to future young talent such as Coleman, White and Stubbs...

Last year they had a lot of dead weight - Mortlock, Huxley, Shepherdson...

Last year they were one win away from the finals... this year I figure they can't do any worse... a 5th or 6th finish at worst...

George Smith barely played last season.

An Alexander Moore Palmer front row would be a good one.

5th or 6th = finals...the first choice team, all playing well, are a very strong side. The problem is that they rarely have the first choise team, and they never seem to all play well. The home ground is a real fortress - not many teams go down there and come back with the points.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good news continues.

Adam Ashley Cooper has become the second member of the Qantas Wallabies to re-sign with the Australian Rugby Union within four days after updating his contract for a further two years.

The 26-year-old, who made his debut against South Africa at Perth in 2005, follows in the footsteps of hooker Stephen Moore, who re-signed for another two years late last week.

Like his Brumbies colleague Moore, Ashley-Cooper says the progress made by the Wallabies over recent seasons, and the promise of good times to come, proved too hard to ignore.

“I feel that I’ve got a lot more to offer in the Australian jersey. I am excited by what is coming up, both at the Rugby World Cup later this year and onwards through until the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia in 2013,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“I think there is a lot more that we can achieve as a team and I want to be a part of that. When it all came down to it as far as my future is concerned, I’m not ready to leave just yet.”

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O'Neill said he was delighted with the decision by Ashley-Cooper to remain, coming as it did so soon after Moore also re-committed until after the British & Irish Lions visit.

"Adam is a world-class player across a number of positions, so it's not surprising there was intense interest from overseas parties keen to secure his services after the Rugby World Cup," Mr O'Neill said.

"To his credit, Adam kept us informed of his situation, made it clear he was keen to stay in Australia, and throughout the negotiation process acted at all times with integrity and honesty.

"We are extremely pleased to have reached an agreement with him that will keep him in Australia until the end of 2013, when the British and Irish Lions tour here.

"Playing against the Lions is for players a once in a lifetime opportunity and it's satisfying to see that many of our key Wallabies are placing those sorts of experiences high on their priorities list when it comes to deciding where they want to be after the Rugby World Cup this year."

Ashley-Cooper, who debuted for the Brumbies in Super Rugby earlier in the same year as his maiden Test bow – 2005 – played his first international in unusual circumstances, when he was a late inclusion in the squad for a Test against South Africa.

After not initially being in the match night squad for the game, he was summoned onto the bench after an injury in the warm up, and wound up becoming the 800th player to represent Australia in Tests when called onto the field.

“I am still as passionate about wearing the jersey and playing for Australia now as I was when I started,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“Having the opportunity to play more consistently in the last couple of years has only added to the enjoyment. Being able to share the experience with others, and the success that we’ve had, has been quite special.”

Ashley-Cooper’s importance to the Wallabies is highlighted by a summary of his appearance statistics in the three years since Robbie Deans took over as national coach.

The wonderfully versatile back has missed just four of the 43 Tests played by Australia since the start of 2008, last year becoming the 35th Australian to play 50 Test matches when he hit that mark during the win over Italy in Florence.

Ashley-Cooper has operated from four different positions in that time – fullback, wing, inside centre and centre – being predominantly employed in the latter role last term. His last nine appearances of 2010 were from centre.

He was also one of Australia’s busiest players in 2010, featuring in 14 of Australia’s 15 Tests, which was bettered only by skipper Rocky Elsom and John Eales Medal winner David Pocock, who appeared in every game.

Only four players contributed more than the four tries Ashley-Cooper scored last year. Two of those were claimed in the historic wins over New Zealand in Hong Kong and France in Paris, with the try at the Stade de France taking his career tally to 16 from 51 Tests.

The try against the All Blacks was the sixth Ashley-Cooper had scored against the men in black from 14 Tests. Only David Campese (eight tries from 29 Tests) and Matthew Burke (seven) have more tries for the Wallabies against the New Zealand.

Ashley-Cooper starts the newly expanded Super Rugby competition next week with 62 appearances beside his name for the Brumbies. He has conditionally re-signed with the Brumbies, alongside his updated ARU contract, but is taking time to consider his future at a provincial level.

For this, he has been granted an additional period of time by the Brumbies before confirming a final decision on which Australian Super Rugby side he plays for beyond this year.

"I love the Brumbies and the passion for the game in Canberra. I have enjoyed every minute to date playing for an organisation that prides itself on professionalism and a Rugby program that improves every player who comes through the system,” Ashley-Cooper says.

“In terms of where I will play in 2012 and 2013, I wanted first and foremost to know I would be in Australia. There were significant offers from overseas and I want to thank ARU for the manner in which negotiations proceeded without delay, and without pressure, to ensure I would continue to have the opportunity to do what I enjoy doing most - playing for the Wallabies.

“Now that we have resolution, and it came very quickly, I just want to take a little more time to look at my personal circumstances moving forward. The Brumbies have been great in allowing me that space. It would be great to stay in Canberra but I will make a final decision on that in the next few weeks."

After missing last week’s trial in Darwin, Ashley-Cooper will make his first appearance of 2011 for the Brumbies when the team has its final pre-season trial against the (Wellington) Hurricanes of New Zealand at Viking Park in Canberra on Thursday.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies were inexperienced for sure but watching them train last Wednesday the application was not great. When I watched the Reds train on Thursday they were far more intense and applied to their drills. Sure the experience factor played a part on game day but it is not a great excuse as the Reds were far more intense on the training paddock as they were on game day.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm waiting for round 1 to see where they're really at...

Warm up matches and training observations are not necessarily an indication...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From a rugby point of view, I don't see how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could fit in at the Tahs...

They're probably going to lose Mitchell... but does he want to be playing on the wing?

It's better for everyone if he stays in Canberra...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he'd fit in pretty perfectly at 13 I reckon.

Imagine a back 4 of 15 Beale, 14 Mitchell 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 11 Turner. Chuck Horne at 12 wit Barnes and Burgess in the halves and that is a test match backline.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
he'd fit in pretty perfectly at 13 I reckon.

Imagine a back 4 of 15 Beale, 14 Mitchell 13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), 11 Turner. Chuck Horne at 12 wit Barnes and Burgess in the halves and that is a test match backline.

That's not just a test class backline, its world class!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I think turner wants to be at 13. No real place for him at the tahs. Brumbies are fucked if he goes

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just read this article and there's a couple of interesting points...

Firstly, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would probably be financially better off staying with the Brumbies...

And Ben Alexander has re-signed!!!

Ashley-Cooper considers Waratahs option
Chris Dutton
February 7, 2011

ADAM ASHLEY-COOPER may line up for the Waratahs next year after informing the Brumbies he needed to weigh up ''personal circumstances'' before committing to the ACT beyond this season.

The 26-year-old Wallabies centre's partner lives in Sydney, a fact that may sway his decision the Waratahs' way.

It is believed Ashley-Cooper has been given until mid-March to consider his provincial options, with Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan confident the versatile back will stay in the capital and re-sign before the start of the season on February 19.

The uncertainty surrounding the 51-Test Wallaby will certainly stir an interest at all clubs, but he would come at a price. The conditional contract with the Brumbies already gives him the highest allowable provincial salary under ARU rules.

''The Brumbies are allowing me just a little bit more time to consider my provincial whereabouts beyond 2011,'' Ashley-Cooper said. ''I haven't spoken to any other clubs. I think it's more of a factor of deciding and considering personal circumstances.

''I love the Brumbies and I love staying in Canberra. I guess the Brumbies as an organisation has put me in the position I'm in today. I'd love to stay, it's just that I need the next couple of weeks to consider some personal stuff.''

Brumbies coach Andy Friend said he would not rush Ashley-Cooper's decision. ''I'd hope [he stays],'' Friend said. ''That's his decision and we don't want to put any pressure on him. He knows he's wanted here, he knows the people of Canberra like seeing him in a Brumbies jersey and ideally for us he makes the right decision.''

Ashley-Cooper gave Australian rugby a boost yesterday by confirming he would stay in Australia for the next two years after rejecting offers from Europe. The news followed the recent rejection of overseas offers by prop Ben Alexander, who has re-signed with the Brumbies and Wallabies, and Stephen Moore after it was feared key Wallabies would head overseas after this year's World Cup.

The re-signing of Moore and Alexander has been a massive boost to the Brumbies. Along with Ashley-Cooper, they are the first Wallabies to shun off-shore offers and the Australian Rugby Union hopes they will influence others to stay in Australia.

Ashley-Cooper said he re-signed with the ARU because he didn't want to finish his career knowing he missed an exciting time in Australian rugby. ''It was very tempting,'' he said. ''The offers from Europe and the UK are very attractive and they bring some new challenges and a fresh start with an exciting lifestyle. But with the exciting stuff happening with the Wallabies, I didn't want to regret a decision [and watch the Wallabies] from abroad.''

Meanwhile, a nervous Stephen Hoiles is determined to prove he is fit when the Brumbies take on the Wellington Hurricanes at Viking Park on Thursday, the club captain admitting he will be well below his best in his first serious match in eight months.

The Brumbies hope to give Hoiles at least 20 minutes on the field in his comeback from off-season Achilles tendon and back surgery.

The veteran No.8 realises faces an uphill battle to make the starting XV for their round-one Super Rugby clash with the Waikato Chiefs on February 19. ''I haven't played for eight months … I've got to be careful with how much time I spend out there. I'm probably more nervous than anything,'' Hoiles said.

An under-strength ACT side lost 38-5 to the Queensland Reds in Darwin last Friday.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great news for the Brumbies, with Moore, Alexander, maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). All key players. Not too sure who else of the senior players they will retain - Elsom and Gits are both likely off and probably always were, so the Brumbies and ARU have done a great job with their retention. Next generation young players who are off contract in a year or so like To'omua must surely be their next prerogative.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a difficult one. When it's your (apparently hot) partner pulling you in a direction, sometimes it's hard not to make sacrifices (financial or where you want to play) to be closer to them, and thus happier.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I find it hard to see the Brumbies doing well this year.

On paper they could easily finish 3rd in the conference (maybe even 2nd) but in practice they don't have the Red's resurgence of passion, the Tahs' depth, the Rebels' need to prove their worth or the Force's need to make-up for the 2010 season.

I can't see them doing better then 4th.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies have always fielded a decent pack and with Bernie in controll of the backs they just might light up this year. With intense competition for Wallaby spots their key players should fire. They will finish no lower than third and the Rebels and Force will fight it out for 4th and 5th.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find it hard to see the Brumbies doing well this year.

On paper they could easily finish 3rd in the conference (maybe even 2nd) but in practice they don't have the Red's resurgence of passion, the Tahs' depth, the Rebels' need to prove their worth or the Force's need to make-up for the 2010 season.

I can't see them doing better then 4th.

pfft...

Minus George Smith, they've got a better squad than last year...

If they play to their capabilities and have a good run with injuries they could potential finish on top of the Australian conference...

If they have another horror run of injuries and lose a few they shouldn't then they'll probably finish 3rd at worst...

I can't see them finishing behind the Force and Rebels...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Locked in for third I'd say. The Brumbies have a class front row but the Waratahs pack will dominate. The Reds have a far better coach, a good mindset and a dynamic, adaptable gameplan.

With anyone other than Friend at the helm then a higher finish might be possible, but top of the conference is highly unlikely.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...return-against-hurricanes-20110208-1akxb.html

"nervous" Stephen Hoiles is determined to prove he is fit when the ACT Brumbies take on the Wellington Hurricanes at Viking Park on Thursday.

And the Brumbies captain admits he will be well below his best in his first serious match in eight months.

The Brumbies hope to give Hoiles at least 20 minutes on the field in the trial against the Hurricanes as he attempts to show he has fully recovered from off-season Achilles tendon and back surgery.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The veteran No.8 needs to get through his stint on the field unscathed to be any chance of taking his place in the Brumbies starting XV for their round-one clash with the Waikato Chiefs on February 19.

Even then Hoiles knows he faces an uphill battle to be ready to take on the Chiefs.

"I haven't played for eight months and I've only been training with the team for one month," Hoiles said.

"I've got to be careful with how much time I spend out there. I'm probably more nervous than anything to be honest.

"The competition begins in two weeks and the buzz is building so I'm excited, but a little bit nervous at the same time."

Hoiles is one of a number of star players returning to the Brumbies' line-up for their second pre-season trial.

An under-strength ACT side lost 38-5 to the Queensland Reds in Darwin last Friday.

But the inclusion of Hoiles, Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Stephen Moore is hoped to put the Brumbies back on track.

The Brumbies haven't won a pre-season trial match since they beat the Hurricanes two years ago.

While Ashley-Cooper wanted to win, he said the result was not the priority on Thursday.

"It's our last hit-out before the season, so [the result] is important," Ashley-Cooper said.

"But the Brumbies haven't trialled well in the past.

"It's not of major importance to us ... it's about going out there and putting into place what you've done through the pre-season.

"Winning would be nice, but it's not the end of the world. It's about putting the new structures and new calls into place and learning about the guys next to you and forming combinations."

The match will play a large role in determining which players make up coach Andy Friend's starting side for the Super Rugby season.

Matt Giteau will get a chance to stake his claim for the No10 jumper and Ashley-Cooper will start his stint as the Brumbies' first-choice outside centre.

Meanwhile, Hoiles is just hoping he can get through the match uninjured.

The skipper had limited involvement in training before Christmas with his Achilles tendon still troubling him.

If he can show he is no longer seriously hampered by his injuries from last year, he will likely be given the captaincy job again this season.

If he struggles, Giteau will get his chance to lead the Brumbies.

"Ideally if you had eight months out you would have spent more time training with the team," Hoiles said.

"I've been more restricted than I would have hoped. I'm not too concerned about my timing.

"It's more about the conditioning and once you've fatigued you tend not to make the best decisions."

So it looks like Gits will be back at flyhalf. What a disappointment, as Friend still can't get his fucking head around how useless the crabman really is. Why hold onto To'omua and 'Fano if they're wasted talent when you're playing Gits and Tyrone?

I'd like to see the following full strength starting team this year.

1. Benny A
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Mark Chisolm
5. Mitchell Chapman
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Julian Salvi
8. Stephen Hoiles
9. Josh Valentine
10. Matty To'omua
11. Henry Speight
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Franky Fanifo
15. Pat McCabe

16. Huia Edmonds
17. Salesi Ma'afu
18. Peter Kimlin
19. Colby Fainga
20. Nic White
21. 'Fano
22. Andrew Smith

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Leal is broken ATM. May as well see him at ten again. He didn't fire well at 12 last year either. Could have have something to do with QC (Quade Cooper) tho.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Leal is broken ATM. May as well see him at ten again. He didn't fire well at 12 last year either. Could have have something to do with QC (Quade Cooper) tho.

Yeah I was talking about an ideal full strength side. I thought 'Fano played really, really well at 12 last year. It died when Tyrone moved into 12 with Gits at 10.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Shame about Giteau at 10. I would of liked to see him and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a centre pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.