• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, my guess is that in rotation Alexander will get time at THP, essentially that means they need a LHP (Jerry I guess) to play from the bench or start depending on the game; or they just have Alexander, Maafu & Palmer all playing a bit of LHP and lose a load of mobility.

The Brumbies should try to poach Tilse or Kepu, the Tahs have 3 quality LHPs and one is going to miss out and be looking for more game time

I've been saying for a while now that I wish they could've grabbed Kepu so that Alexander could've shifted across permanently...

Also, in the article Fagan says that Alexander will be considered as a TH from next year but will play out this year at LH...

So I would assume that one of Ma'afu or Palmer will be let go next year... depending on their contract situations...

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Ma'afu most likely.
best of luck to the boys tonight. first canberra trial i missed in years. wish i was there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just checked the squads page on here and apparently all the other props are signed on for next year...

So it would be for the best if one of them was released to sign on with another club...

They will definitely need to sign another LH... Jerry's still got another year but he hasn't exactly been useful...

Jono Owen is also lurking about but he's another TH...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Ash: the canes wings, Savea and Taylor

Julian savea: NZ U20 star winger scored a few spectacuar tries in the JWC last year. He was also part of the 2007 nz schools team and I think he played 13, hes quite a handful and has been likened to a certain Jonah by a few people. This year he also played a lot for Wellington in the NPC and played pretty well from what I saw. Oh yeah and he won IRB junior player of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFCrrm3uvE

Andre Taylor Taranaki wing, recenty had bowel surgery apparently. Was part of the victorious NZ U20 2008 JWC winning squad. From the snippets I've seen he is pretty rapid with a decent kicking game

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Just some quick notes from tonight's match:

The Brumbies scrum held up well against the Hurricanes. Alexander and Palmer played the majority of the match.
Giteau, despite odd crab, did play well at 10. The plan was for him to revert to 12 in the 2nd half but he went off with a cork after 45mins.
Robbie Coleman wasn't afraid to do the hard work. He got smashed by Nonu early on, but got back up and went after him a few times.
Pat McCabe did well at fullback. I haven't seen him play there before but did everything well.
Stu Dickinson was trying his best to get the scrums to work but it never did and resulted in many scrum resets or penalties. There were many penalties in general for various reasons.
The handling from both teams, particularly the 2nd half was quite poor. Not sure if it was down to tiredness but too many passes thrown that probably shouldn't have been.
There wasn't too much kicking, which was a relief.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a surprise the Brumbies scrum is dominant with Palmer. This man is the best scrummager in Australia. Should be the first prop picked - who cares what he does on the field when scrums aren't on.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Saturday is meet the players day up at Griffith..
Brumby Jack will also make an appearance to make sure the Snowy Hydro Helicopter’s landing at 11am goes smoothly.

Please ensure no portaloo's are nearby...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
How good is the back three looking for the Brumbies...McCabe, Fainifo and Speight....probably best back three the Brumbies have had for a long time.....

T

tranquility

I just had a look at Jack Lams profile on the Hurricanes website out of curiosity. Mainly because I could not understand how a bloke who could get a run on start ofr the Canes couldn't pick up a contract in Aus. The Reds need a 7 for heavens sake, but I hear he wanted to play in NZ so I will digress.

BUT, the point I want to make is that he did in fact play schoolboys for two years, and the first year was at centre. That is an unbelievable achievement to make the side two years running as a back and a forward. The only other player I can think of who could have perhaps done this is David Pocock who played 12 for the Churchie in his senior year, before reverting back to 7 for the representative season.

Definitely a talent lost to the dark side.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Beggars belief really. How the hell did this guy not get a red carpet ride into one of the S14 (now S15) setups? I watched Pocock at 12 for Churchie and he was imposing, but I'm not sure he was good enough to make schoolboys in that position.
I just had a look at Jack Lams profile on the Hurricanes website out of curiosity. Mainly because I could not understand how a bloke who could get a run on start ofr the Canes couldn't pick up a contract in Aus. The Reds need a 7 for heavens sake, but I hear he wanted to play in NZ so I will digress.

BUT, the point I want to make is that he did in fact play schoolboys for two years, and the first year was at centre. That is an unbelievable achievement to make the side two years running as a back and a forward. The only other player I can think of who could have perhaps done this is David Pocock who played 12 for the Churchie in his senior year, before reverting back to 7 for the representative season.

Definitely a talent lost to the dark side.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting first round selections if the Crimes is to be believed...

Hoiles is likely to be on the bench after just returning from injury so Giteau is likely to captain...

Giteau is set to remain at flyhalf with Robbie Coleman at inside centre...

Vaea to start at no. 8...

Ma'afu also came off 20 minutes into the Brumby Runners feeling ill and is the only other player in doubt...

Likely XV at this stage:

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Hand
5. Chisholm
6. Chapman
7. Salvi
8. Vaea
9. Valentine
10. Giteau
11. Fainifo